Jets
King
Stars/Knights
Canucks/Preds

Cheering against

Oilers
Leafs

2 Likes

Thanks for starting this thread as the regular season is finito and I will close that thread. A brief preview article.

1 Like

First round schedule:

1 Like

A focus on the 4 Canadian teams.

1 Like

NHL Power Rankings: The Final 16

2 Likes

Not bad rankings actually, but still showing a bit of an Eastern bias after a regular season where the West had more good teams than the East.

I would drop the Rangers to 3rd or 4th and rank Dallas 1 and Florida 2, with perhaps Carolina 3. I would drop the Canucks slightly and the Knights a lot and raise both Colorado and Tampa a bit. Otherwise pretty good.

1 Like

In the first round, I’ll be cheering for:

New York Islanders
Winnipeg
New York Rangers
Nashville
Edmonton

I hate both Toronto and Boston and both Vegas and Dallas and I don’t mind either Florida or Tampa.

1 Like

No bias from the Toronto media here… :rofl:

Ranking the 8 opening-round series of the NHL playoffs

1 Like

:roll_eyes:

Isles and Hurricanes tied at 1 after 2 periods. Not the most exciting game so far. Isles playing well and the Hurricanes looking a little tentative, maybe because they haven’t played a meaningful game in weeks. Still anyone’s game. Good chance for the Isles to snag home ice advantage.

hahaha so true tho

2 Likes

And Carolina draws first blood 3-1.

The Isles did everything right and had an edge in play in the second period. They just couldn’t score. I think they have to get ahead to win and they almost did so today. If Carolina gets ahead as they did early in the third they are a very good shut down team. I also think the longer it stays tied the harder it will be for the Isles because of the Hurricanes superior depth.

Still, not a completely discouraging game for Isles fans I would think.

2 Likes

The Canes stole that one tonight . Mark my words the Isles will have this series all tied up after Monday nights game . We will be heading back to NY for games 3 & 4 all knotted up at 1-1 . Book it Baby !!! .

2 Likes

Yup. That was it all right. A defensive miss by the Isles though on the Canes second goal. Can’t let a guy like that skate through the front of the net without opposition.

1 Like

Leafs turning in another routine playoff performance tonight. Boston up 4-0 after two with 3 goalposts and 2 crossbars to boot. This game is all but in the books. Time to catch up on some PVR material.

3 Likes

Final

Toronto 1
Boston 5

4 Likes

Matthews high stick penalty leads to Bruins pp goal.
Follow that up with Domi slashing Marchand leading to another Bruins pp goal.

5 Likes

Also MIA in yet another playoff game was the moustache man. I heard he was out looking for the Hart trophy only Leaf’s fans and select Eastern media think he is even in the conversation for. Didn’t notice him contributing out there, much less being a leader.

If I think about it, the thing that probably irks me about the Leafs and their fans and their media the most is the arrogance they display, particularly in support of the moustache. On no planet in this solar system is he one of the best 7 players in the league, much less a Hart candidate. I can make a convincing case that be isn’t even in the top 12. I would put him somewhere between 15-20 on a good day. He does one thing well only, and does that thing well only in the regular season. He is probably the most incomplete player labelled a “superstar” I have ever seen. I’m sure he will score a few goals in this series, but he will never take over a game or drive the play.

4 Likes

Not a planet - just the centre of the known universe…

The best offensive line for the Leafs was the fourth line. They were the ones playing hockey, not taking selfish penalties…

3 Likes

I thought the rest of their core of Marner and Tavares looked even more invisible. Nylander was out of the lineup for some reason as well.

The Leafs initially came out hitting for the first couple of shifts but failed to maintain that physicality for the rest of the game. They did bring in some gritty players last off-season with Reaves, Domi and Bertuzzi but I think the main core of the team is really soft. Marner seems to avoid getting hit at all costs.

Not that I’m complaining or anything. :smile:

3 Likes