2024 NHL Playoff Pool

Welcome to the 3rd annual forum NHL playoff pool.

Last year’s winner was @Eskimos4Ever.

The rules are simple. Just post who you think will win each series no later than one hour before the start of the first game in each round. There are as always 15 series to pick from. As a tie is a possibility I will institute the concept of perfect weeks for this pool as well, but only for the first two rounds of 8 and 4. Perfect weeks will be the first tiebreaker and the second will be the golf count back system we used in Year 1.

https://forums.cfl.ca/t/nhl-playoff-pool-2023/84989?u=jon

The link above gives a little more detail regarding the rules, which I will save time not typing again.

Remember that if you win the pool you will join the hallowed and elite CFL Forum circle of champions. You also will have bragging rights over everyone else and perhaps best of all have possession for one year of the unparalleled and one of a kind Stan Lee Cup created by @Maaax and as shown below. I want me one of those.

As always the pool is open to all forum members. Below I am pinging those who have been in this pool in the past as well as some others who have shown interest in hockey threads or other Forum polls. Given the time constraints I won’t be able to ping everyone who may be interested but please let anyone else you know that you think may be interested about the pool. I will post the games in a separate post as soon as they are known later tonight.

@Grover @GridironGirl @bobo82 @BetweenTheGoalposts @Paolo_X @PorkyPine @mahalcflers @Mightygoose @kav2001c @FootbalYouBet @Krisiun @Crash @LetsGoBlue @SaskWatch @Dibs @KingCrimson769 @Lyle_B_Style @LetsGoBlue @Aerial @WeGotTheCup @tony @prairiewolf77 @Abendschan @Squishy21 @IllinoisGuy @usc4dav @tangledweb @Tedtanium1976 @Paul_ste_marie @GHT120 @Hit.em.hard @RedandWhite @AYC2112 @Hometown_Fan @Stickweld21 @Stipley2 @Cflukb69

Hopefully the pool will be bigger and better than ever. If you are not interested there is no need to respond.

5 Likes

Count me in. I’ll have to read up on this “golf count back system”…

3 Likes

Thanks but I will have to pass. I find the playoffs in hockey go on too long for my liking and I tend to lose interest especially if/when Canadian based teams are eliminated.
Best of luck to all in the pool.

2 Likes

The first round matchups are as follows with the team with home ice advantage listed second:

Colorado vs Winnipeg
NY Islanders vs Carolina
Tampa Bay vs Florida
Toronto vs Boston
Washington vs NY Rangers
Nashville vs Vancouver
Los Angeles vs Edmonton
Las Vegas vs Dallas

The other two matchups will be determined later tonight and I will post them when known or tomorrow morning if I fall asleep, which is about a 50/50 prop bet.

Feel free to post your first round picks when the matchups are known even if I haven’t yet. I would ask that you please post all your picks at once rather than the known series now and the other two later as that will be logistically more difficult for me to tally and others to follow. I did want to get the pool up tonight even with only 6 series known as there isn’t a lot of time before the playoffs start.

Wishing you all luck and hope you are able to spot the upsets that always occur. Go Jets!

4 Likes

Good to see that you are in. Just make your picks some time between later tonight and when the first game starts.

The countback system means that the most recent one to lose one of the 4 brackets loses the tiebreaker. In golf you go back to the 18th hole and then 17 and so on until one player has the lower score on a hole. It rewards a better finish. So if two people are tied after 4 brackets, if one of them picked the Final winner correctly and the other didn’t, the latter would lose. If it’s still tied you go back to the previous round and so on. Hopefully we won’t need it.

2 Likes

For now, I will go ahead take the over on “Jon sleeps / Jon does not sleep” on that prop bet.

Here we go again with the excitement in another fine contest on the CFL Forum!

5 Likes

/Starts rummaging through dusty, old files to study cryptic handwritten notes, codes, maps, and formulae for the hockey pool …
//Sips drink
///Pauses to view

4 Likes

Eastern Conference,

Rangers
Florida
Carolina
Boston

Western Conference,

Dallas
Canucks
Colorado
Edmonton

1 Like

NYR
Flo
Car
TML

Dallas
Nashville
Col
ED

1 Like

Eastern Conference

NY Islanders
NY Rangers
Boston Bruins
Tampa Bay Lightning

Western Conference

Vancouver Canucks
Las Vegas Golden Knights
Colorado Avalanche
Edmonton Oilers

1 Like

Is it for series and how many games?

What?! The Cleveland Barons didn’t make the playoffs this year?!

3 Likes

I know only two things about this year’s NHL: the Jets are doing well and the Blackhawks have been eliminated.

Here goes:

Winnipeg
Carolina
Florida
Toronto
NY Rangers
Vancouver
Edmonton
Las Vegas

2 Likes

EAST

NY Islanders :islanders: :heart_eyes: :+1:
NY Rangers
Boston
Tampa Bay

WEST

Colorado
Dallas
Vancouver
Edmonton

:beers:

Good Luck to all …except those that pick the Leafs :laughing:

3 Likes

East
NY Islanders
NY Rangers
Boston
Tampa Bay

West
Winnipeg
Dallas
Vancouver
Edmonton

I’m picking the Leafs…they should be on the golf course early again this year…

4 Likes

Winnipeg (6)
NY Islanders (Bobo - Sir Patrick) (7)
Florida (6)
Boston (keep the streak alive) (7)
NY Rangers (5)
Nashville (7)
Edmonton (6)
Dallas (6)

2 Likes

Edited: picks the same, using emojis to better identify picks.

West
Las Vegas vs Dallas :stars:
Colorado vs Winnipeg :winjets:
Nashville :predators: vs Vancouver
Los Angeles vs Edmonton :oilers:

East
Washington vs NY Rangers :rangers:
NY Islanders vs Carolina :hurricanes:
Tampa Bay vs Florida :panthers:
Toronto :leafs: vs Boston

2 Likes

Eastern Conference

New York Rangers :rangers: :heavy_check_mark:
Carolina Hurricane :hurricanes: :heavy_check_mark:
Florida Panthers :panthers: :heavy_check_mark:
Boston Bruins :bruins:

Western Conference

Dallas Stars :stars:
Winnipeg Jets :winjets: :x: :tired_face:
Vancouver Canucks :canucks: :heavy_check_mark:
Edmonton Oilers :oilers: :heavy_check_mark:

Good luck all, thanks Jon

1 Like

You just need to predict the series winner, not the number of games, although some like to do so and that is fine.

On another note, I was very disappointed with both Vegas and LA last night. I don’t now see any life in Vegas, even if Stone returns. Their goaltending is a huge question mark. The Kings blew a 3-1 3rd period lead to an AHL team at home by allowing 3 straight 3rd period goals before tying it with less than 2 minutes left and gaining the one point they needed to avoid Dallas in the first round, although Edmonton won’t be a pushover. Their goaltending is suspect as well.

1 Like