2024 NFL Offseason

A post was merged into an existing topic: OJ finally dead

An interesting read on whether top draft picks should be pulling a John Elway/Eli Manning/Eric Lindros if they don’t want to play for the team that wants to draft them. Archie Manning was blamed for Eli’s refusal to go to San Diego but wrongfully he says. Deion Sanders has already said that his son and one or two others will have a say in where they play when they are eligible to be drafted. We’ll see.

2 Likes

If players can dictate where they go when drafted, the question needs to be asked, why have a draft at all?

3 Likes

Definitely. But it’s complicated. In theory, as is pointed out in the article, any college graduate can work for whomever they please, but athletes can’t (at least until they are free agents) and in this case NFL players can’t. Overall though I think the system does a lot of good things and certainly helps to promote competetive balance more than any thing else does, even the salary cap. I think it is beneficial for the vast majority of players seeking to enter the NFL. They are talking only about the cream of the crop in the article.

Perhaps a few tweaks might be made at best, but I don’t forsee major changes. I don’t think the general public will have a lot of sympathy for a 22 year old kid saying “I’m the best and want to play for a Super Bowl contender right away or I won’t play”.

I thought it was an interesting story and had forgotten about Elway choosing his destination. I suppose it can work out for the team losing the player too. What the Nordiques got for Lindros essentially gave them a Stanley Cup.

2 Likes

Deion Saunders came out recently saying his son & star player will choose where they go. I don’t expect them to be successful, they are not Manning or Elway.

I guess they can refuse to go to the team that drafts them and re-enter the draft in 2025 (and maybe relive the same scenario).

2 Likes

Modern athlete era, well stated again @Jon , expect more of this and not less folks.

I can already predict the establishment sports media overreaction (/cough, ESPN) akin to when others did it before, even though it was less common.

3 Likes

Drafting the son of the “Prime Donna” is the headache a lot of GMs might not want.

2 Likes

On the flip side here is that for the six teams endorsed by Deion, five of which for which he played such that he knows the current ownership well with Philadelphia the other one, some of the teams not on this list or many player lists are notoriously crappy organizations screaming for new ownership and management.

I would not blame more players for not wanting to play in those places any more, and so I think the NFL is being exposed for a far larger problem than is being focused on the media spotlight that will follow Deion here and otherwise. It’s not that Deion has never showed away from the spotlight either, for he knows it’s good for business much as it was in many cheesy ads in which he showed up during the college football season. Even 60 Minutes and their generally average age of 75+ years old audience followed Deion last season, and they are always late to such parties in pop culture.

Enter now as one solution, which will need a ton of more work, to the problem of draft busts and more demanding and fickle players - the UFL, a potential development and feeder league to the NFL as otherwise a small flow of players comes via the CFL, as regularly the case since the 1980s.

Right now only the top first round prospects have this sort of clout in negotiation with the NFL, but as NIL spreads and as college athletes become employees as the legal proceedings go, expect to see more demands from more players in time.

Also in a bit of hypocrisy as I have seen over the years, somehow John Elway got the haterade from some older fans for his antics as many of these same critics simply fawned over the Mannings for those proceedings to get Eli away from San Diego!

Now those same bojacks are on Deion’s case here for his own sons? C’mon already!

4 Likes

Thought I would post this lengthy, but what I found to be very interesting article on Bill Belichik. It explains in considerable detail why Bill likely wasn’t able to land a head coaching contract for this season. It’s hard to believe that the GOAT wasn’t hired, especially sinced he openly addressed questions about how much control of the team he would require and was willing to step back on that. Bottom line was that other owners didn’t believe him and/or at 71 thought he would coach only two seasons to get the 15 wins he needs to break Don Shula’s record. I’m not a huge fan of Bill’s personality, but there is no denying he is the GOAT, so I found this article to be good reading and like I am sure most of you was surprised when he couldn’t find a team willing to hire him. That’s alright Bill. You can start working for your buddy Jerry part way through this year after McCarthy finally gets fired and get the Cowboys a long overdue Super Bowl the following year, get your 15 wins and then ride off into the sunset a winner. I would be happy with that and Jones should be too because he doesn’t have many years left.

2 Likes

I have no sympathy or empathy with Bill at all, he can retire in luxury with the amount of money he has. I’ll take a look at the article but with his excellent history as a productive head coach, yes, it is surprising but me thinks a lot more we don’t know about Bill than what we read in the mainstream media. Don’t know him at all other than his coaching record and having Tom Brady part of this coaching history for some of his coaching history.
Yeah, are you just ‘surprised’ jon or does this go one step further with just being ‘weird’ ie. ‘hidden agendas’ with Bill?

1 Like

Wonder if any Canadians might be interested in owning part of the Bills?:

2 Likes

I’m interested. Just a little short on cash.

2 Likes

NY Jets dumping Zach Wilson for virtually nothing,

3 Likes

Future hall of famer Matt Ryan officially retires.

2 Likes

Zach’ll have to switch from #2 though so the broncos can save some cash using some existing jerseys lying around.

1 Like

An interesting story about the decision made a while ago to rotate the NFL draft mostly among northern cities that have little chance of ever hosting a Super Bowl. I hadn’t realized that was a thing. It also talks about how well Detroit has rebounded from bankruptcy a decade or so ago. The draft is expected to bring $160 million into the local economy.

2 Likes

Unrelated really, but are you familiar with Kwame Kilpatrick and his time in the mayors chair in the motor city? Wild story there, made for Hollywood.

1 Like

No, can’t say that I am.

1 Like

Wiki him…amongst his other notorieties I’m pretty sure he was the mayor during the time Batman was there…

1 Like