2024 NFL Offseason

…but…but…they’re a charity, Guy!! Where’s your patriotic compassion?!

2 Likes

Recently egregious were the Kansas City Chiefs seeking a fractional increase to an already high sales tax in Jackson County, Missouri (essentially Kansas City), where the disproportionate income burden of a high sales tax over 8% falls upon those working and poor.

The amount demanded from the masses via the increase in sales tax was more than half the bill for renovation of the stadium, as if the owner of the Chiefs, Clark Hunt, does not have the money or vast access to financial capital!

2 Likes

Both games on Christmas Day appear likely to be on Netflix.

1 Like

Such antics are never enough to make me subscribe to cable again, but this is interesting.

1 Like

Looks like I won’t be watching the NFL on Christmas. NBD.

1 Like

I hear you here.

As I have Netflix now because it’s free, I would only for that reason.

I do not see myself ever signing up for some streaming service again just to watch a sport, except perhaps the CFL if it were a convenient offering…

Then again who knows as the NFL continues to shop its media rights. I also don’t see the NFL touching their prosperous slate on Sundays on free TV.

FWIW as the lone exception so far, for mostly UEFA Champions League and Serie A, I won’t continue with Paramount+ past the end of my subscription in February 2025, unless perhaps they rebrand and throw in a whole lot more or offer me a deal to keep me as a subscriber.

Pirate Sports Network has been rather good of late like usual, but we’ve taken on a lot of storms and heavy water lately. But we must and shall prevail on the high seas. Arrrggh.

2 Likes

Updated power rankings, for what they are worth:

1 Like

And it’s official now for three seasons, though only one game in 2025 and 2026

2 Likes

Harrison Butker , the Chiefs kicker, just took a dump on educated young women at a convocation at a Catholic university . Stick to kicking you moron ! The NFL has some choices to make here . Going back to the 1950s isn’t an option . :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I just read what he said. Wow.
Well, I guess he has his group of supporters who will make him feel proud.
I’m just glad I had parents who raised me to respect women and LGBTQ+ folks.

3 Likes

I hadn’t heard about it until I read this. A summary of what he said is linked below. He basically ranted against women no longer being barefoot and pregnant and said members of the LGBTQ community committed “deadly sins”. For good measure he ranted against Biden and the handling of the pandemic, even though the latter was mostly the responsibility of his man Drumpf. He also no doubt believes the last election was fixed and that a nuclear war occurred thousands of years ago in India and thereabouts, the fallout being responsible for creating the Loch Ness monster, Yeti and democracy. This knuckle dragger is an embarrassment to the Chiefs and the NFL.

3 Likes

Looks like some don’t mind what he said….

1 Like
  1. Look at the source. The US version of the old Soviet Union’s Pravda.
  2. We have a LOT of knuckle draggers here in the US.
3 Likes
  1. Source had nothing to do with the story, but I understand about triggers…
2 Likes

Totally get that. I just never pass up an opportunity to crack on Fox News

4 Likes

Rupert Murdoch admitted that Fox is not a news network . There are few, if any journalists on the payroll . When Tucker Carlson works for you, you are not a news network . Sean Hannity is a ditto .

2 Likes

But let’s note that Murdoch and his employees only did that after the fact when compelled in litigation, for it is still called Fox NEWS Channel.

Just go about it and don’t call it news then I figure, which many of us have known that overwhelmingly most “cable news” is not and has not been for some time (i.e. in my opinion since 9/11).

Of course any more you can get all the news you want for free from all over the world on direct live feeds to any device, and go figure when it’s not on your cable subscription it’s actually news like it was more in the 1990s on cable.

1 Like

It’s also noteworthy that the “STICK TO SPORTS” bunch did not speak up this time, for they are hypocrites and that’s not what they really mean when ranting along those lines of actually “STICK TO SPORTS, UNLESS IT’S MY BRAND OF POLITICS!”

2 Likes
2 Likes

Note that the deal between the Jacksonville Jaguars and the City of Jacksonville, which is its own controversy and has yet to be finalized with all approvals.

As follows here is the contingency plan until the stadium would be renovated and ready in 2028.

Personally I think to avoid conflicts with SEC football, which are busy weekends in Gainesville already, they’ll simply go to Orlando.

The stadium will play with a reduced capacity in 2026, but what about the 2027 season? The Jaguars have a plan for a location.

Jaguars president Mark Lamping told the Orlando Sentinel the franchise will be hosting home games in either Orlando or Gainesville in 2027. If the Jaguars go to Orlando, they’ll play in Camping World Stadium [formerly the Citrus Bowl]. If Gainesville, it will be Ben Hill Griffin Stadium [University of Florida Gators aka The Swamp].

Orlando is two hours (141 miles) away from Jacksonville. Camping World Stadium has hosted Pro Bowls and underwent a major reconstruction in 2014, holding 60,219 people. The facility would be more accommodating for visiting teams as well.

3 Likes