:als_red: 2024 Match / Game #6: TOR @ MTL (07-11)

We’re playing our second game in five days and Lemon is suspended. I can definitely see why they want 8 DL – to have a steady rotation of players so guys like Johnson, Berglund, and Wynn don’t get overheated and tired (or worse, get injured). Federico and Roane can also play special teams.

If Dequoy can’t go, they’ll activate Copeland, but I highly doubt they’ll start him at safety. I think they’re hanging on to him because he’s injury depth and Hamlin is still on the 6-game. With our Canadian starter distribution (3 OL, 2 WR, 1 FB, 1 DE, 1 FS), we can afford to start an American at safety and still meet the minimum (7).

Wall and Cosby can play DB easily and they’re better players than Copeland. In Thorpe’s defence, everyone in the back eight has some form of coverage responsibility, so the line between linebacker and DB is pretty thin.

2 Likes

Sur la charte actuelle des Alouettes, pour la partie du 11/07, il y a 46 joueurs donc 8 joueurs de ligne défensive et le maximum est 45 joueurs habillés par match.

Si M.A. Dequoy qui est le 46ieme joueur à cause de son statut à déterminer avant la partie (GTD), joue les Alouettes auront sept (7) joueurs de ligne défensive, un joueur de ligne sera mis de côté A. Federico ou M. Roane.

Si M.A. Dequoy ne peut joue pas, il pourrait être être remplacé par T.O, Copeland, mais un joueur de ligne défensive ne sera pas habillé.

Si M.A. Dequoy ne joue pas et qu’il n’est pas remplacé par T.O. Copeland, les Alouettes auront 8 joueurs de ligne défensive habillés pour la partie de jeudi, le 11/07.

La réponse demain soir, avant la partie.

Go Als pour une 6ieme victoire de suite dans les situations difficiles d’une courte semaine de préparation et de nouveaux blessés N.

1 Like

I’m guessing Federico is likely going to play more on special teams were there is some injuries , during his time with the Ticats he played mostly on special teams .

4 Likes

Yeah obviously Federico actived from practice roster is so he could rotate in for others to have a break and hugely for special teams .

3 Likes

Il y a 45 joueurs - Letcher 2 fois.

Merci de la correction, j’ai compté trop vite…

2 Likes

I think your Als can keep their streak alive this week. Toronto’s not as healthy as they could be and their young QB has demons in his head thanks to last weeks drubbing. Montreal’s easily the best team in the East right now.

It’s a great feeling as a fan when your team gets good and goes on a winning streak… but keeping that streak alive at all costs should NOT be a huge priority if you wanna win the whole enchilada in BC later this fall. Believe me when I say that going undefeated and burying your competition early can be a real momentum killer if the playoffs are still a ways off.

Look what happened to Toronto last season when they wrapped up first and sat around twiddling their thumbs for the last half dozen games. To use that good old train analogy, your Als came in with a full head of steam and blew those idling Argos off the tracks. :steam_locomotive: :beaver:

3 Likes

For sure. Better to lose a few games in the regular season and deal with that adversity than go 16-2 and fold in the playoffs. Not that there’s necessarily a correlation, but it is significant that the only two teams to have those 16-2 records in the past few decades never even made it to the Grey Cup game.

3 Likes

La grosse différence entre les Argonauts de 2023 et les Alouettes de 2024 est que les premiers n’avaient pas connu l’adversité tandis que les seconds y ont grandi avant d’être ce qu’ils sont aujourd’hui. Et Fajardo a connu l’insuccès avant de le surpasser, ce qui n’était pas le cas du quart des Argonauts de l’an dernier. Fajardo ne tombera pas facilement dans la complaisance ou la condescendance.

6 Likes

Toward the end (from about 35:00 on), Joey talks about some of the guys on the 6-game. Name-checks Sutton. Mentions that Tyrell Richards is getting close to a return. Isn’t as sure about McGloster because the latter didn’t practice this week. No mention of Snead.

Well…it was bound to happen sooner or later. With the injuries and a short week, it was a recipe for disaster.

5 Likes

Hopefully Fajardo will be ok to go in 2 weeks.

Evans …

2 Likes

I’m more concerned by the injuries than the result. I hate the league for these “two games in 5 days” weeks.

2 Likes

Well it’s a cinch that my team won’t finish at 16-2. But we’ll be perfectly happy finishing third in the west and battling our way to yet another Grey Cup appearance which we’ll probably lose… to you guys again.

Meanwhile your Als went 300 days between losses and that’s a pretty remarkable streak. I know you don’t want to go into a break on a negative note, but when Cody trots back out onto the field two weeks from now I’m sure that you’ll start another run of consecutive victories that’ll make up for today’s loss.

5 Likes

These ultra-short weeks are really murder. The volume of mistakes and the inability to recover were both heightened by sheer exhaustion. But it’s OK. Teams lose. We still head into the bye week 5-1. I just hope all the wounded are OK by the time the bye week is over.

3 Likes

Espérons que Cody Fajardo sera apte à revenir au jeu dans 2 semaines, mais je ne suis pas trop optimiste. Il pourrait être absent pour quelques parties. J’espère me tromper.

Plusieurs facteurs expliquent cette défaite, mais ce soir la meilleure équipe a gagné; je crois toujours que les Argos et les Alouettes vont se disputer la première place dans l’Est.

Richard

3 Likes

The guys have earned a break. Let everyone get healed up and refocused and ready to get back to playing Als football in two weeks.

Edit: Before people freak out over the result, please remember that in addition to the physical toll of playing two games in five days, we had exactly one practice this week to Toronto’s THREE. And this while dealing with a rash of injuries to Canadians and then the loss of our starting QB during the game. We’ll be fine. Credit to Toronto for forcing turnovers and generating points in all three phases.

1 Like

Je ne pensais pas trouver pire comme calendrier mais j’ai vu qq chose de spécial.

Les Alouettes jouent le lundi de l’Action de Grâces et le samedi suivant, ils traversent le Canada pour aller jouer à BC.

Allo! Tellement stupide!

4 Likes

This obviously doesn’t bother the schedulers, from the looks of it. I count 12 more instances for this season, including two cases of home-and-away matchups, which I suppose makes for great rivalry weeks. The only team that doesn’t experience this is BC.

The day of the game also reminded me of two seasons back when for some reason MTL was scheduled to play 8 of their first 9 games on Thursday, something way out of line with any other team’s scheduling. As an attendee it felt like the league wanted our games out of the way first.

Une semaine courte de pratique, les blessés de la dernière partie, D. Côté, F. Chagnon, B. Gowanlock tous des joueurs N qui sont sur la liste des blessés pour 6 parties et on apprend au début de la partie ce soir que K. Julien-Grant N ne pourra jouer, puis C. Fajardo se blesse et ne retourne pas au jeu. Tous des éléments face à un club Toronto motivé à prendre leur revanche, nous avions en place les éléments pour une 1er défaite de 37-18.

Lors des deux (2) parties consécutives, les Alouettes ont perdu 4 joueurs N et leur qa régulier. La situation des blessés devient très préoccupante au niveau de la relève du talent N et de la gravité de la blessure à C. Fajardo.

Les Alouettes se retrouvent avec une 5-1, après le 1/3 de la saison ce qui excellent. Mais que réserve les prochaines parties avec la nature de la blessure de C. Fajardo et la situation des joueurs sur la liste des blessés pour 6 parties.

Ce soir les Alouettes ont été déclassés dans les trois (3) phases du jeu: offensive, défensive, unités spéciales.
Au niveau du poste de qa, après la blessure de C. Fajard, C. Evans a joué au poste de qa, 12/22 (54,5%) pour 127 verges 2 passes de touché et 2 interceptions , moyenne de passe complétée 5,6 verges. Au sol 5 courses 18 verges moyenne de 3.6. Rien de trop impressionnant.
Et à la fin de la partie, les Alouettes ont utilisé D. Alexander pour mettre le genou à terre……
Bizarre de façon de donner de l’expérience à un qa qui déjà été mentionné comme qa de l’avenir pour Montréal.
Les questions urgentes pour la partie du 25/07 contre la Saskatchewan: état de santé de de C. Fajardo, de K, Julien-Grant et de ceux qui seront de retour sur la liste des blessés de 6 parties.
Renforcer la ligne défensive au niveau des ailiers défensifs et des plaqueurs qui ont alloué au sol 183 verges contre Toronto, 148 verges contre Calgary. Depuis la suspension de S, Lemon, les ailiers défensifs ont effectué 0 sac contre Calgary et 1 sac contre Toronto.

2 Likes