:als_red: 2024 Match / Game #1: MTL @ WPG (06-06)

I agree, he is a monster. He does look bigger and heavier than in past years as well. It would be like running through a wall if you hit him.

1 Like

That is all Strevler is really good at. He can make the odd short screen pass but cannot air it out. If he is in, DB can cheat up closer as he will not throw a deep ball and if he does try, he will have to do it on the run as he cannot stay in the pocket.

1 Like

Well…play started at the 38 yl.
Let say he dropped back 5y.
The throw ended at Winnipeg -17 yards.
Total 60 yards.
Kind of long for me.

1 Like

I think the problem there was that there was no camera on the goal line, so the review could not be sure where the ball was. It looked possible that the ball didn’t come out of the end zone when his feet did, but there was no way to check. Command Centre needs visible proof to overturn the call on the field. So impossible to overturn.

Je ne comprendrai jamais pourquoi il n’y a pas de caméra accrochée sur le poteau parallèle à la ligne des buts. Ce poteau est directement au-dessus de la ligne des buts. Il permettrait de déterminer facilement si le joueur traverse la ligne de buts dans bien des situations.

2 Likes

The ball might well still be buried under an avalanche of bodies, and the ball is all that matters.

Rewatching game highlights. Anyone notice Thorpe rushing only TWO with about 1:43 to go in the fourth quarter? :smiley: We show rush 3 but the third man drops back into shallow coverage.

Obviously that’s not a front you’ll see if the game is on the line. It just made me smile.

3 Likes

That is the we got you beat front.

3 Likes

Oui, j’ai remarqué le 3ième gars au front aller en couverture. Je pense qu’un des buts était aussi d’éviter une blessure inutile à un gars de la ligne défensive. La partie était gagnée de toute façon.

2 Likes

LaPo’s got his own Youtube channel. Really meaty stuff here where he dissects what Montreal’s defence did well in the win against Winnipeg in week 1.

4 Likes

That is very informative! Thanks for sharing.

4 Likes

Très intéressant, N. Thorpe a atteint un niveau supérieur comme coordonnateur défensif.
Il a une expérience de 28 ans comme entraîneur au niveau universitaire et professionnel et il varie bien ses stratégies avec des joueurs de qualité et des assistants compétents.

1 Like

No problem. GridironGirl reminded me of this because she posted about his Youtube channel in the main forum. I’d been meaning to check it out for a while. Very informative indeed. He has a couple more vids where he talks about Alouettes D stuff, but generally he covers all teams and then has explanatory videos for certain forms of coverage.

One thing I learned from this video: we roll coverage to use Beverette at safety a lot more than I thought we did. And it makes sense. If you remember the EDF Dequoy pick-six, he is playing so close to the line, which means that someone else must be in the safety spot.

2 Likes

Yeah I had the same reaction on Bev. Good to know what to watch for a little more too. Problem often is the camera angle isn’t that zoomed out so you don’t get to see all the moving parts.

1 Like