2024 Major League Baseball

It’s time for a new thread for 2024 anyway.

Happy New Year everybody. :partying_face:

Go figure some changes in rules have been approved already.

ESPN’s Jesse Rogers then reported Thursday that the league had officially approved those proposed changes. Among them:

1. The pitch clock with runners on base is being shortened from 20 seconds to 18 seconds
  2. Teams will be allowed just four mound visits throughout games, down from five visits in 2023
  3. One of the most significant changes: if a pitcher warms up before an inning, he has to face at least one hitter
  4. Another on-field change is that the lane given to baserunners going from home to first base has been widened to include the infield grass. Which should, in theory, help runners by allowing them to take a shorter path from the right handed batters box.
1 Like

Saw this yesterday from a different source and was going to post it in the old thread but I think a new and yearly baseball thread is in order

The players are adamantly against all of the further changes, arguing that it is too soon after last year’s changes and that they need more time for those to settle in. I can’t agree. The changes made last year were by and large successful and well received by fans. I like it that baseball is actively trying to improve the game and doing a damn fine job of it.

A more detailed breakdown of the new rule changes and the history of the running to first base rule I didn’t even know existed.

Now fix the very large elephant in the room and institute a salary cap so more than 8 teams have a chance to win the World Series. I might then even see my Pirates win another one before I die.

3 Likes

As I was saying…

The rich get richer.

Yamamoto cost the Dodgers a cool $325 million and they have spent over $1 billion in free agency this year. No need for GM skills in baseball when you can just buy your team.

3 Likes

A detailed article on how the financial troubles of Bally Sports and the hit and miss TV contracts has affected MLB and some predictions as to what is expected.

2 Likes

An article on this year’s luxury tax. I think of this as the obscene part of baseball and why it is the least competitive of the major North American team sports. Hard to believe true fans of the game put up with this nonsense year after year. How to turn a once great league into a money dominated farce. Wake up and institute a salary cap please!

2 Likes

Fine article and what a mess!

It’s telling that MLB won’t cut a deal as a deal for 2024 such as have done the NBA and the NHL for the remainder of their seasons.

In sports and entertainment in 2024, I don’t buy the concept of “bridge year” or the projections with the numbers as described here.

When you break the continuity in viewership, many viewers do not make the jump plus neither does the foregone or lost revenue.

There is no seamless transition or smooth transition as portended via that tired and false corporate cliche for perhaps 15 years now.

The upcoming season, however, has been described as a bridge year. The league promised to backstop teams (up to 80% of what they lost) that saw television deals dry up this past season, but it won’t do so again in 2024. Some of that lost revenue will be made up through advertising, blackout-free MLB.TV subscriptions and distribution deals that the league negotiates on the teams’ behalf. An industry source estimated that teams can make back somewhere in the neighborhood of 60% to 80% of the revenue they’re accustomed to under that model, but another source cautioned that there isn’t enough sample-size data to prove that yet. MLB, the latter source added, still hasn’t struck distribution deals for 2024, largely because it doesn’t know how many teams it will have to offer.

1 Like

Well if you’re a fan of Wander Franco it looks like you’ll have to try again.

Here’s an update on the remaining situation of 11 MLB markets for local games in the US, which includes a bonus about a seemingly inevitable deal with Amazon by MLB.

There appears to be a “patch over” deal in the works for MLB for the 2024 season, which is akin to as done already for their seasons ending in 2024 by the NBA and the NHL in the bankruptcy litigation via DSG in the US.

Depending on what is or is not done with the media rights for these 11 teams plus the Minnesota Twins for after 2024, of course global viewing options will be affected as well.

How very Mets of them…LMAO

I’m guessing that the onfield warmup?

I like the rest but there must be a limit to how far into the infield you can run on your way to first base…
If not is there a rule about interference on a bunt? If you bunted and ran over the ball in the infield and took a line where they had to throw around you…

I think the rule is intended to mean ANY warm-up by the reported pitcher after they pull the other pitcher, including before he takes the mound to warm up with a few throws. I am not the authority on that point though, but I don’t see why they would allow any such time-wasting or sudden switching up of the reported pitcher for relief.

1 Like

I’m thinking you got that right. Likely to keep from changing pitchers again when a DL suddenly comes to the plate or there’s a lineup change

The pitch clock change I like. Probably to see if there is more base stealing., or possibly moving to 15 second for the pitch clock whether there are men on base or not for 2025. Baseball keeps better stats than pretty much any other sport and that two seconds less for the pitcher may make a difference there.

The pitch clock itself was the biggest reason I watched more baseball last season. Games are noticeably faster, and more exciting to watch. Teams can’t slow the game to a crawl like they used to. Which I thought was really evident in the playoffs and World Series.

1 Like

So the ball park of the Chicago White Sox was new back in April 1992.

It was the first time I ever attended an MLB game, and from then until 2018 I was a fan of the White Sox, changing heart when I visited Coors Field in Denver in September 2018.

I remember back then the concessions were solid as was my view, so I’m not sure what the flaw is other than perhaps the surrounding areas are rough.

They were somewhat back then, but it was solid enough on the south side still to find free parking and walk a few blocks to the stadium, but those days are long gone.

As the article is paywalled, maybe somebody can enlighten me on what is this original design flaw.

2 Likes

The Hall of Fame votes are in with 3 players elected. Beltre was considered a shoo in with Maier considered to be likely. Of the other 3 possibilities it wasn’t clear that any of them would make it, but there are 3.

[Beltre, Mauer, Helton elected to Baseball Hall of Fame by BBWAA Adrian Beltre, Joe Mauer, Todd Helton elected to 2024 Baseball Hall of Fame class by BBWAA | TSN](Beltre, Mauer, Helton elected to Baseball Hall of Fame by BBWAA Adrian Beltre, Joe Mauer, Todd Helton elected to 2024 Baseball Hall of Fame class by BBWAA | TSN)

This wax an earlier article assessing the chances of the candidates.

[Where things stand ahead of today’s Baseball Hall of Fame reveal Where things stand ahead of today’s Baseball Hall of Fame reveal | TSN](Where things stand ahead of today’s Baseball Hall of Fame reveal Where things stand ahead of today’s Baseball Hall of Fame reveal | TSN)

2 Likes

Minor news is at hand here with a deal worked out with three teams for 2024, which apparently leaves the rest of the twelve affected teams in “Bally Sports Limbo”" for 2024 on the terms of a recent “patch over” deal.

Meanwhile, more sharks from Amazon are circling for the new rights in 2025.

Then DSG struck a funding deal with Amazon, and that changed everything. New cash is committed–both from Amazon and a proposed new loan–and DSG now appears intent on staying alive post-2024.

At a January 17 court hearing, DSG notified the court it intended to commit to nine of the 11 teams under contract for 2024 at the original terms. The nine are the Atlanta Braves, the Detroit Tigers, Cincinnati Reds, St. Louis Cardinals, Florida Marlins, Tampa Bay Rays, Kansas City Royals, the LA Angels, and the Milwaukee Brewers. MLB still reserved judgment at that hearing, and has kept alive a motion to compel DSG to make a decision.

As the A’s situation is shaping up for 2025:

Wow look here in an already familiar theme also in Arizona, but it looks like the Diamondbacks are being left out in the lurch as well on a different front as MLB is left holding the bag for any broadcasts or streams of the games via the bankruptcy case.

I’m just going to say what a generally lousy sports market they have in Arizona, though I am told the spring training scene has been a good one for years much like in Florida, which also has issues for professional sports amidst the successful teams otherwise.

Cross-linking - I agree

1 Like

You never know. Leagues rarely change the rules during the season but I could see an “adjustment” in how obstruction is called during the season.

With replay and all it would be hard to get the call wrong if there was really obstruction.

1 Like

Comcast “Regional Sports Networks” Continue to be Enemies of Sports Fans, And Now They are Charging More Than Ever Too

Here in Philadelphia, enough homers are still at hand for them to change NOTHING for sake of their cable TV service that includes this mandatory “regional sports fee” along with all the other silly fees on top of whatever the monthly subscription price. Oh well, not me and never again after especially with their efforts to try to slide more sports onto that Peacock piece of crap, but you have heard it from me before.

But look here in other cities how MLB fans are still affected in 2024.

Bold text is my emphasis. What is not mentioned is that these upcharges are IN ADDITION to the other increases.

After a short-term extension of a prior carriage agreement with Comcast, the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network completed a new contract with Comcast, the largest cable carrier in the Washington-Baltimore region, which includes the country’s No. 9 and 29 media markets. But the deal carries a major shift: The Orioles-controlled MASN will move from Comcast’s most basic cable tier to a more expensive and less broadly distributed “Ultimate TV” tier.

That change will mean that those wanting to see the Orioles and Nationals in that region will eventually need to pay an extra $20 per month. Comcast is phasing in the switch with a six-month promotion that offers its “Popular TV” customers the ability to transition to “Ultimate TV” for three months with no additional charge, with a $10 surcharge for months four through six.

Cord-cutting is hemorrhaging the entire cable business, and Comcast has lost more than 2 million cable customers in the last year and more than 4 million in the last two years. But amid that continued subscriber loss—and other factors such as the still-unsettled state of sports streaming and the bankruptcy of Diamond Sports Group—major cable carriers such as Comcast have gained some greater leverage with RSNs.