2024 Elks Season

:eyes:

2 Likes

Not surprised. The Hall of Fame linebacker that sold me my car (from one of his dealerships)
and many others have been very successful businessmen.

2 Likes

For some reason with the group from Texas, now I am thinking of barbecued elk whether they keep the name or not.

I shall now defer to any in attendance with some game table experience.

In my opinion, Texas barbecue and chili are the best variations down here.

1 Like

@AYC2112 interesting post, and I don’t have enough information to form an opinion, but do any of those closer to Edmonton have more feedback on this front?

I know it’s not quite this simple to buy a team in an established sports league, but I’m thinking there’s more talk anyway before the actual credible money shows up, and then when the money shows up and there is an interested seller, well talking turkey comes first.

https://forums.cfl.ca/t/expansion-from-the-fans-point-of-view/85705/1022?u=paolo_x

2 Likes

What I can say is the team has a very active alumni association. A lot of the alumnus are still very connected to the team. So it really wouldn’t surprise me if a group got together to buy the team.
Texas seems a strange place BUT, Norm Kimball who was GM in the glory years and the guy who lived next door to the ZZ Top member (Campbell) were both from that part of the world so it would not surprise me if there was a buyer from that part of the world either.

2 Likes

:+1:

Uh how how how how

1 Like

According to Rick they used to wait until the Campbell family went shopping to do their “garage band” practice sessions.

And that “How How How How” cost them a lot of money…John Lee Hooker proved it was his first…

2 Likes

How cool would it be to be the neighbours of a member of ZZ Top and hear them practicing in the garage! Damn if the value of that house would not have gone up for big fans just for that!

Wow did they try to steal that from him? Everybody knew it was his and that was not secret knowledge. That was not cool, but there was a whole lot of that music theft going on routinely back then as ever since, but now it’s a whole lot easier to sue and win.

2 Likes

https://3downnation.com/2024/03/17/canadian-qb-tre-ford-not-ready-to-be-leader-of-an-organization-elks-assistant-gm-geroy-simon/

Despite Simon’s insistence that Ford is the long-term solution at quarterback, the 25-year-old is entering the last year of his rookie contract. Though some designated offensive packages will keep him occupied, it could take significant convincing to get the Niagara Falls native back in green and gold after being snubbed a second time.

2 Likes

Details on 75th Anniversary plans (plus images of new helmet logos)

2 Likes

Hey hey the EE is back on there too! I love it! And I bet this is a bridge to a new logo altogether in 2025.

2 Likes

3down is so sad…That’s what they hired MBT to do - teach Ford…everything…leadership included.

Elks look to be stocking up on D-Linemen. They have a few that look really promising, Camp, Keyshon is one. Played with Birmingham in the USFL last season and won a championship.

3 Likes

“I have to bite my tongue, because this is his thing,” Jones said this week from the CFL Combine presented by New Era in Winnipeg. “I didn’t hire him (Jason Shivers) to be the D-coordinator for me to be meddling in his business.
Quote from Vickie Hall article on Elks website…

Yeah - says a lot to me about how Jones operates as a coach. And says last year’s debacle with Corny was him leaving McAdoo to run the offence until he had to step in.

Sounds like Shivers is anxious to get at it here. He was DB coach when he was here before and his aggressive style and ball hawking secondary was part of what won the cup in 2015.

Sounds like he likes what he sees here for players and since he has worked for Jones the defence Jones is building has what Shivers wants.

3 Likes

https://3downnation.com/2024/03/31/everyones-gonna-get-a-fair-look-20-suitors-signed-to-ndas-in-elks-ownership-hunt/

1 Like

EE back on the pants too!

2 Likes

No huge surprise. It’s hard to draw fans when you start the season with a 10 game losing streak.

It may sound strange but the Elks live and die on the walk up crowd for games. Often as many as half the fans in the stands bought a ticket that same day.

2 Likes

Looks like the Elks have officially signed their 4th Round Pick, Kicker Vincent Blanchard!

I knew he attended a camp with the New England Patriots, but I didn’t expect him to make the roster there.

He is a kicker coming out of Laval, which is interesting considering their current kicker, Boris Bede, also played there.

Blanchard was named to the RSEQ’s All-Star Team for two years in a row, in 2022 and 2023.

Over his 2 years at Laval, Blanchard went 31/36 (86%) on field goals and was 100% on 48 PATs. His longest-field goal was from 46 yards out.

He attended the 2024 CFL Showcase hosted by Nick Novak in San Diego;

During this competition, he did okay, making 5/8 attempts with some impressive kicks coming from 51 and 58 yards out. Blanchard did have a couple of shanks, but the talent is clearly there.

His kickoffs were really good, averaging about 69 yards per kickoff with an impressive hang time of 4.1 seconds. In the pros, he could probably get another 5 yards out of his KOs without sacrificing too much hangtime.

He won’t be the starting kicker this year because the Elks just spent big on the Kicker position in free agency. That being said, CJ is a fan of keeping ST players around on the PS/IR, so I would expect him to be with the team for this year. There is a possibility that he will develop into Bede’s replacement in 2026.

3 Likes

Yeah well…kickers get injured too…like Ward last year weird sh#t happens…

3 Likes

You hit the nail on the head.

The Elks will probably do the same thing the Argos did last year: keep Bede as starting Kicker, able to replace the starting punter in case of emergency. Then keep a PS kicker who can replace Bede in case of injury.

2 Likes