2022 Global/National draft

I see the CFL has announced that they will be bringing around 40 Global players to the National combine. Greg Quick (now with the Alouettes) did a great job scouting the different Countries back in 2018, but I haven't seen anything similar this time around. Maybe each Country has been given the job of selecting and sending their players to the Combine. I would like to see a return to the original plan of having 2 Global players on the game day roster. Otherwise we may just see Aussie kickers and very few players from the rest of the world. There are several Global Linemen playing in the NCAA who could be of interest. OT Daniel Faalele 6'8 375 at Minnesota might be the top Off Lineman coming out this year. Edmonton picked up a pretty good Off Lineman last year in Steve Neilson of Denmark. It is going to take time for this program to work with the main goal of course TV or live streaming financial return for the CFL.

5 Likes

Last year we held that Global draft thing midway through April and picked fourth even though we won the Cup in 2019 thanks to hidden rule # 406-4 ("missing a season automatically gets the best team a better pick"). So what did Kyle Walters do with that pick? Like a champion rock hunter Kyle Walters chipped off another gem in linebacker Les Mauro who's still on our roster to go along with hardened tackling terror Thiadrick Hansen (we're reasonably certain he's made of concrete). This year we probably get the last pick overall thanks to hidden rule # 896-7 (also known as the "For the good of the League... YOU MUST LOSE!!!" rule).
Justice will be served.

Unless of course Walters puts away his little rock chipper and whips out Mighty Mjolnir. :grin:

2 Likes

Daniel Faalele is going to be drafted into the NFL by the second day at the latest. Safe to say that he is not coming to the CFL.

Overseas leagues are stating to hold their own Regional CFL Combines. Brazil held theirs last weekend and was streamed live on Youtube. What I believe will happen this year is that all the leagues that have an agreement with the CFL will send the results + video to the CFL for evaluation. From there, the CFL will choose who to invite to Global Combine in Canada.

5 Likes

Ok Thanks for that news.

Here's a story about the combines.

CFL-2022-Global-Combine-dates2-620x400

And another article specifically about the combine in Japan and the Japanese players who were selected previously.

1 Like

Curious that in the article on the Japanese league they state that the NFL celebrated its 100th year but only gave the CFL credit for passing 60 years.

2 Likes

As previously mentioned, Brazil held their combine last weekend. Today, Greg Dick via Zoom announced the 2 participants who will fly to Toronto for the Global Combine. Dick said that combine will consist of 40-50 players.

2 Likes

Looks like the two Brazilian players are Ryan Gomes and Otavio Amorim.

Ryan Gomes did the combine last year and was signed by Ottawa as a FA. I guess he didn't make it out of camp last year. He's a linebacker.

Otavio Amorim is an O-lineman who plays for the Berlin Thunder. He was part of the NFL International Player pathway program.

3 Likes

I saw Amorim on YT. He's a thick banger. Moves around the line except for center. Loads of potential The NFL's loss is the CFL's gain

2 Likes

1 Like

There's an upcoming match between young European players vs the Brazil national team.

I wonder if this kind of match attracts any Canadian scouts. This European group has apparently played in Mexico and Japan as well. It'd be fun to see a Canadian junior or USports team host these guys.

3 Likes

The CFL started in 1956 as the Canadian Football Council only to be renamed as the Canadian Football League on January 19th 1958.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info. I was aware that the CFL as presently constituted hadn’t been around for 100 years, but I thought that this part of the article was misleading in that a casual fan could be left with the impression that US football has been around far longer than Canadian football. The author could just as easily have said that the Grey Cup is the oldest trophy vied for in North America.

5 Likes

Here's an article about the UK combine:

1 Like

Wish them luck but still not seeing the return on investment of the
Global program. Seems lacking imagination and more of a copy cat to the NFL Pathways initiative than anything else.

Still helps by making the news over in the UK.

FWIW my global scouting is focused on finding qualifying Internationals at U.S. colleges and nothing more. Similar to the National exemptions it is not really playing out how it was initially planned and should be revisited imo.

If they are getting local football guys to test the global guys and the results get passed on to the CFL then it's probably not costing them much. If the global guys are paying money to register then those costs take care of themselves.

The minimum salary for a global player is less than the minimum for an American player. They might actually be saving a little bit of money. They also get write ups in local players so the publicity is there. I don't mind the idea behind it. It's a cheap way to generate interest. I would favour exhibition games on foreign soil but it might be cost prohibitive for the CFL. There was talk about a neutral site game in Mexico before the pandemic but we might have to wait a couple of years before that talk resurfaces again.

1 Like

Here's one of our greatful Global Players giving back:

:smiley: :+1:

5 Likes

Thanks for this Dave. Looks like all the combines are finished now. I was kind of surprised one wasn't held in Germany. That's where the best League is as far as I know.

1 Like

I wonder about a combine in Germany too. I know some GFL players have attended combines outside of Germany. One of the players at the UK combine plays in the EFL, which I believe is a step above the GFL, though it's still a very young league.