2022 Coaching Shuffle

After a difficult "COVID" affected season, the curtains closed on the 2021 season with a fantastic championship game.

With changes assured in Edmonton and Ottawa
And
rumors and possible changes in Winnipeg, Hamilton, Montreal

Let the yearly CFL shuffle begin!

1 Like

Sounds like Steinhuaer will quickly put yesterday's loss behind him as we will soon be announced as DC of UofW....O'shea to Edmonton makes a lot of sense. Edmonton will want a dual role guy who does both HC/GM and O'Shea will want a promotion that just isn't available in Winnipeg.

O'Shea to some NCAA school to do the run-and-shoot/pistol/shotgun offense. Lots of cowboy western references.

You heard it here first.

and last

1 Like

Disagree,,,i dont see EE wanting a dual role guy. That is not part of their DNA. I look for Jim Barker to land there as GM and then he choose a HC. Second choice Duane Forde.

To the teams that signed high profile free Agents good luck LOL signing them again. The gutting of the Bombers and Tigercats will start in February.

There will be changes in CFL Football Operations and Coaching Staff.

Football Operations:
Ottawa. A new GM. I say will come from within. Synder.
Edmonton. Difficult to foresee. With the firings of their GM and Head Coach, who are signed for next two years, I think, Edmonton won't have that much to spend. Could be looking for a person with dual roles, i.e. GM and Head Coach. Chris Jones? Jim Barker?

Head Coach:
No change in Montreal and Winnipeg.
In Edmonton, if GM with only that role, Noel Thorpe could be the new Head Coach.
In Hamilton, I won't be surprised if Mark Washington is the new Head Coach.

Will be players movements with most teams, but not much before Free agency begins in mid-February 2022.

Richard

1 Like

What am I missing with Duane Forde? His name has come up in Ottawa as well and I think he seems like a great guy and very good on TV - - but what makes him a good GM candidate?

[quote="HfxTC, post:1, topic:75611, full:true"]
After a difficult "COVID" affected season, the curtains closed on the 2021 season with a fantastic championship game.

With changes assured in Edmonton and Ottawa
And
rumors and possible changes in Winnipeg, Hamilton, Montreal

Let the yearly CFL shuffle begin!
[/quote

I doubt that you are missing anything.
I like him. He has been involved with the CFL for his whole life.
I think he is a smart guy.
As as a broadcaster he has been around all the teams and managements for a log time.
He is a key guy in analyzing drafts of Nationals
He is a Canadian
Coupled with a strong Asst. GM I think he would be similar to Walters in Winnipeg.
I think he is trustworthy and honest
But I can see why he is a long shot but I do not think that it takes a special genius to be a GM.

1 Like

Edmonton may want a younger and more long-term GM than 66 yr old Big Jim Barker. But if they can't find the right "younger" candidate - they'll press the select button to deliver Barker!

Do you think Jim would do a good job there?

1 Like

If I was just looking at a short 2 or 3 year window ā€“ Iā€™d pick Barker. Dedicated to CFL, tons of southern contacts, understands the northern game and now extra well-versed in media matters. Yeah, he'd be the guy. They'll stay away from loudmouths like Eric Tillman & Jimbo Popp!!!

Ideally they hire Barker in Edm and groom someone like Duane Forde as assistant GM to take over. But the football ops cap probably kiboshes that. They could poach one of Sean Burke or Drew Allemang from Hamilton - Burke might have more experience on the administrative side, Allemang more up on the Canadian talent. Could also see them luring MCManus away from Winnipeg. Have a hard time seeing Chris Jones going back there

Barker should be going somewhere as GM . Another round of Toronto probably not ; but has an eye for QB talent for Edmonton or Ottawa .

McManus should be going somewhere as GM has had enough time as assistant GM .

Ford I agree might be better as an assistant GM first to get his feet wet and be responsible for domestic talent scouting /drafting a key component in assembling a winning team .

Head Coaching I would think

Thorpe , Pierce , Mass ,Washington and Jones are possible candidates for any vacancies .

You guy are forgetting Mark Kilam and Brent Monson .........

but oshea is signed in winn thru 2022

They are saying he will be the GM / HC. Not going to happen imo

i am sayind that is a way that toronto can lure him here by giving him the combined salary of hc n gm and i think he might find that kind of power arrangement interesting
since argos dismissed one of their co-gm recently - pinball can resign his co-gm ship once oshea is here or perhaps oshea would like to keep pinball on

I was hoping those "title" games were a thing of the past...