2022-2023 NHL Season

About half the teams in the league will be sporting sponsor logos on their jerseys this year. Although not mentioned in the article below, the Jets have apparently agreed to wear a Canada Life logo.

(NHLers have mixed feelings on jersey ads: 'You knew something like that was coming' NHLers have mixed feelings on jersey ads: 'You knew something like that was coming' - TSN.ca)

that RBC or whatever it is on the Habs jerseys is just sacrilege

1 Like

I'm not a big fan of Jersey ads
BUT
It is HRR (Hockey Related Revenue)
The players split that Revenue 50/50 with the League
With the new extremely high contracts going out recently
We need the salary cap to go up

3 Likes

f*ck bettman and the fat cat owners.

2 Likes

:face_vomiting:

1 Like

But, but, but the implication is that sponsor logos might bring an $18 beer down to a more affordable $16. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

2023 - Tank Hard for Conner Bedard sweepstakes

1. Chicago
  2. Arizona
  3. Montreal
  4. San Jose
  5. Buffalo
2 Likes

Arguably Arizona could pull out all the stops and try their hardest and still finish last. Chicago still has Kane if they choose to hang onto him and he is a better player than anyone on the other teams you mention and would score 80-100 points if he played for Arizona.

2 Likes

Nice. Lee Fogolin - King of the hip check, and Smitty to the Oilers hall of fame.....

1 Like

:eyes: :moneybag:

3 Likes

Good to know, although it seems kind of fishy that they have any idea what their revenues will be for the next few years. I wonder if they set gas prices too?

1 Like

I'll put this here

On this date 50 years ago
50th anniversary of Paul Henderson's iconic goal with only seconds left in the final game!
Did you know?
The summit series had no overtime
If that goal hadn't been scored, the game would have ended in a tie and Canada would have lost the series on goal differential!
IMHO, Henderson should be in the HoF

4 Likes

Yes Henderson should be in the Hall of Fame, even if just for that series. Not only did he score the greatest goal in Canadian hockey history but he scored several other big goals in that series. Esposito was probably their best player and set them up and Cournoyer (seen hugging Henderson in the picture) was also a huge factor.

And I didn’t know that Russia would have won on goal differential had it ended up tied.

I lived in Toronto at the time and I still vividly remember our Grade 4 teacher, Mr. Walker, wheeling a TV into our class so we could watch the entire game. I also had the experience of watching an intra squad game at Maple Leaf Gardens and getting numerous autographs from various players and walking to our car beside Pete Mahovlich and chatting with him after the game.

Your picture brings back memories…

4 Likes

An article I came across arguing for #19 to be retired from all of Canada’s mens national hockey teams at some point in the future.

(Retiring No. 19 a fitting tribute to Team Canada ’72, Henderson Retiring No. 19 a fitting tribute to Team Canada ’72, Henderson - TSN.ca)

2 Likes

I have an autographed print of

THE GOAL .

Henderson and the shout of his name by Foster Hewitt lives with every hockey loving Canadian from that time period .

"Henderson has scored for Canada "

The fact he scored not only the decider but three game winners in Russia makes him a national sports - legend .

Fitting way to recognize his efforts and the entire team of 72 when our backs were against the wall on foreign turf .

The fact we were in the midst of a Cold War makes that goal move pass just sports it was a reflection of us being individuals going against a machine .

3 Likes

they should force-retire all the hockey canada board of directors and smith first.

1 Like

The weight at the time for them must have felt huge ....

Phil back then kinda reminds me of Stallone in Rocky .... :grinning:

Liked later on in the clip how he remembered some of the loud mouthed turn coats in the stands .

3 Likes

I have seen that interview quite a few times. It created quite a stir at the time. For me it’s a tough call. Professional athletes who earn fame and fortune from the public on the one hand shouldn’t be whining when they are booed. On the other hand, none of them were getting paid for their efforts and they were playing for their country as Phil said. Also everyone of course underestimated the Soviets and their style of hockey, including a puck possession game, playing as a 5 man unit and off ice fitness training, revolutionized the game. After that interview Phil did end up carrying the team on his back in Russia. A slice of history for sure.

2 Likes

I knew they booed them in Vancouver but that is the first time

I ever heard they were actually yelling communism is better .... to them .

based on their conduct in Russia at the time, they deserved to get booed.

1 Like