2022-2023 NHL Season

3 Likes

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/who-would-want-to-be-a-vancouver-canuck-right-now

1 Like

Just one question on this story, in which the writer is bashing the Canucks' management. Isn't the decision to make a player a healthy scratch made by the coach?

Quote from the article:

Let’s see: what else?

How about the time Vancouver tried to healthy scratch forward Brock Boeser on Hockey Fights Cancer night, when his father, Duke, passed away from the disease just six months before?

It appears that the Canucks will be paying 3 coaches a total of $7.5 million this year, two of them not to coach. Looks good on the Assinini family.

1 Like

....and they will be doing the same again next year when they fire Tocchet......

3 Likes

i wish they’d pay the owners to sell the team

1 Like

Boudreau's post firing comments:

1 Like

Not being a Senator's fan I don't know anything about Bob Jones, but a sad story from the world of sport today nonetheless.

2 Likes

Never really a Boudreau fan until this. It takes real guts and class beyond measure to just go to work everyday with the crap flying all around you and to just carry on.

3 Likes

This is a lie if ever I heard one...

Bettman stands by NHL draft lottery system: 'Nobody tanks'

2 Likes

A short video from Craig Button ranking Bedard as a #1 pick over the last 20 years of #1 picks.I disagree with a few of his choices and I am sure you will too. I won't spoil it for you other than to say that he doesn't rank McDavid #1, which I agree with, and he ranks Yakupov #20, which I also agree with.

1 Like

Pass

I have no idea why anybody pays attention to him. His fantastic work at trading Savard for Zainullin (Yeah, you don't know him because he never played a single game) and trading away Giguere to protect Braithwaite........Just another blowhard who is on TV because nobody will hire him.......

1 Like

craig should button the eff up

1 Like

Hey I just thought the concept of comparing the last 20 number one overall picks and ranking them was interesting, given Bedard’s anointment as a generational player. Never even gave the fact it was coming from Button a thought.

But now that you mention it, I actually don’t mind Button. I find him to be more on the ball than almost anyone covering hockey. The only panel person I like is Kelly Hrudey. Bieksa is horrible, the hockey version of Davis Sanchez who won’t stop trying to be a young Don Cherry. Botterill is meh and does nothing it seems but read a script. Zero spontaneity. Elliot is knowledgeable but clearly the token nerd. There isn’t a lot to choose from these days.

no way Bieksa wins hands down and nobody else is even close

He’s a moron. Barely literate and all about fighting and code reds. You can have him. Also never criticizes anyone he knows. Not impartial.

1 Like

To be honest Jon - I have seen a lot of acclaimed "generational talent" guys show up and at the NHL Level and not make it.

I know there are guys who are drafted say 48th in the third round that turn into the first guy to captain two different teams to a Stanley Cup.

Then there's guys like Yakupov - amazing first pick failure...............

The draft is a lottery. You hope that talent at the junior levels translates to success in the pros. Rankings and ratings are a consensus based on best guesses. I learned that long ago sitting next to a Canadians scout on a flight to Seattle. Like he said "its an educated guess because you don't know if the guy can step up to the speed of the pros".

4 Likes

Yes I have seen the same. I guess the point of the rankings is for interest’s sake. The two Button ranked ahead of him, Crosby and McDavid, were both highly touted as generational players and they turned out to be just that.

I’m not saying I agree with his rankings but they are interesting to look at. I think the bottom ten are pretty solid and are reflective of the Oiler’s incompetence at the draft table, the main reason why they aren’t a top contender in spite of having two of the best five players in the world.

As for Bedard, who knows? You are correct that he has to show that he can play at NHL speed. I think his chances of doing that are good though. As a 17 year old he was already skating circles around players mostly a year or two older than him at the World Juniors. He already possesses one of the best shots in the world, which skill isn’t going to be taught. Maybe not Patrik Laine level but as good as anyone else in the NHL and a better shot than both McDavid and Crosby. It will be interesting to see where he ranks in five years.

3 Likes

Finally some good news for Canucks fans.