2022-10-22 Game Tracker - Calgary Stampeders vs. Saskatchewan Roughriders (6287)

Calgary Stampeders

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/games/6287/calgary-stampeders-vs-saskatchewan-roughriders/

Calgary is still playing for the right to host the West semi.

Saskatchewan is still playing for a possible crossover.

In years past, these matchups created a heated rivalry. This year, with Saskatchewan doing so poorly and BLM on the bench . . . not so much. But playoff spots are on the line, so who knows.

That would be a neat trick.

D’oh. Good catch. I’ll correct it now.

…and BC has to loose to the Elks this week…with Cornelius out…at Commonwealth…and next week in Winnipeg…AND Calgary needs to win back to back against Saskatchewan.

Of course a BC win this week would finish it. Calgary will put in a double roster and I would guess play the second team if BC wins.

1 Like

Theyll have to set their roster before the BC game is final.

1 Like

Doesn’t really matter. This year’s Riders couldn’t beat Calgary’s regulars, subs, practice roster, or grocery baggers.

1 Like

Not real sure I'm buying into a "vet day" for Farjardo

The team has lost 5 in a row and are also coming off a bye week and this weeks game is pretty much a do or die game

Makes perfect sense , you have a weeks holiday to rest and relax and then on your first day back to work you take the day off to rest and relax from your week off of resting and relaxing . :roll_eyes: :upside_down_face: .

And people wonder why this squad is sitting on a 5 game losing streak , 2-9 in the last 11 and 6-10 on the season , not to mention on the verge of missing the playoffs in a year that they are hosting the Grey Cup .

2 Likes

Things that make you go Hmmmm

…maybe we’re starting BLM eh? Sure we are…

CALGARY STAMPEDERS

Calgary Stampeders running back Ka’Deem Carey has set a new career high with 1,013 rushing yards and nine rushing touchdowns through Week 20 (Dave Chidley/CFL.ca).

– Calgary Stampeders receiver Colton Hunchak was named the team’s 2022 recipient of the Herm Harrison Memorial Award. Established in 2013, the annual award recognizes a Stampeders player for his outstanding community service (Stampeders.com).

– With just two games remaining in the regular season, Stampeders running back Ka’Deem Carey leads the CFL with 1,013 rushing yards and leads the CFL All-Star fan voting at the running back position (CFL.ca).

SASKATCHEWAN ROUGHRIDERS

Saskatchewan Roughriders receiver Kian Schaffer-Baker leads all Riders pass-catchers with five touchdown receptions and is averaging 14.6 yards per catch (The Canadian Press).

– Ahead of the Saskatchewan Roughriders’ Week 20 battle with the Calgary Stampeders, head coach Craig Dickenson said his team knows where they stand and how important a win will be (Riderville.com).

– Saturday’s contest will be the final home game of the regular season for the Roughriders, the team will be celebrating Fan Appreciation night (Riderville.com).

– In partnership with the Ministry of Education, the Saskatchewan Roughrider Foundation announced the release of the Game Changers Playbook. The Game Changers Playbook supports division priorities with the goal of empowering and equipping youth to look after their mental wellness (Riderville.com).

Fajardo not starting this game

Interesting call considering they are still in the running for a playoff spot.

I don’t know what to make of Fajardo anymore. I kept expecting him to breakout all season, but the whole team has just gone downhill.

Team Notes ‐ Gm #86 Calgary at Saskatchewan:

 A Sweep a Necessity?:
Both the Riders and the Stampeders come into this week with a sweep of their 2-game set a playoff position/participation a high priority. Calgary (10-6) MUST sweep the Riders (6-10) to have a chance to host a playoff game ahead of BC (11-5). Saskatchewan must sweep Calgary to make the playoffs IF Hamilton (6-10) defeats Ottawa once in their B2B set.

 Saskatchewan vs Calgary B2Bs:
These clubs have only played TWO back-to-back sets in the last 13 seasons to this point (2009-2022). Calgary swept both of those and they split before that in 2008 and 2006. The last time that Saskatchewan swept Calgary in a B2B set was: October 13-19, 2003 (24-22, 34-6).

 Another Riders Cross-over Scenario:
Saskatchewan has been a cross-over team 3 times before in 2002, 2005 & 2017. They replaced 3rd place Hamilton in 2002 and 2017 and seek to do that again. Saskatchewan needs at least one win and can take the playoff spot with that if Ottawa sweeps Hamilton.

 Saskatchewan Home:
The Riders have a 5-game home losing streak, matching their longest since 2001 (7 gm). They have started well in the 5 defeats leading 3 times and trailing just once after Q1. The 2nd Quarter has proved their undoing as they have allowed 13 or more points in the last 4 home games in Q2. In 4 of the 5 losses, they scored 1 point or less in Q4.

 Mason Fine:
The Roughriders announced this week that Mason Fine would likely start at QB for them. Since Cody Fajardo took over as #1 QB on Jun 20/19, they are 27-17 under him (15-7 home) and 1-2 in the other 3 games (I.Harker & J.Dolegala). Across 2019-2022, 19 Quarterbacks have made their CFL debuts with a combined record of 7-12 (5 in 2022). A look back across Riders' history shows that Fine would be the 77th man to start at QB for them back to 1936.

 Field Position Matters:
Calgary leads the CFL by far in one essential factor. They have started 34 drives in the Opponent's end of the field. By comparison, Saskatchewan has just 25 Opponent end starts. Calgary's vaerage starting point of their own 39- yard line is #1 in the CFL.

 Jake Maier Start & Finish:
Maier began last week's game slowly intercepted on 3 of the first 5 Calgary drives. But as he has done all year, Maier bounced back (started 9/14, 92 yds, 3 INTs, 1 TD) finishing the game going 17-of-21 for 159 yards, 1 TD). Of Maier's 6 interceptions thrown as a starter, only one has come in the 2nd half.

 Reaching 100 GS:
In this B2B set both Mike Edem and Dan Clark are set to reach 100 career starts. They each have 98 going into this week - Charleston Hughes is the only other Rider with at least 100 career starts.

 Needing a Spark:
Saskatchewan comes in with back-to-back games of 13 and 14 point totals. That is only the second time in the last 6 seasons they have been held to 14 points or less twice in a row (Sep 5-11/21).

 Riders Off a Bye:
Saskatchewan has split their two post-bye games this year and are 1-2 across 2021-22. In 2018-2019 however they were 5-0 in games after a week off.

#1 Scoring Club:
Calgary ranks #1 at 30.9 ppg and they have increased that of late. They have scored at least 25 points in their last 7 games averaging 32.3 points with 23 offensive TDs on just 91 drives (25% success rate).

 Calgary Red Zone Success:
In their first 9 games their RZ TD% was 57%; Last 7 games: 19 for 25, a 76% success rate. That is #1 in the CFL over that stretch.

 Kian Schaffer-Baker:
Ranks as the #2 Canadian Receiver in 2022 with 874 yards on a team-high 60 catches. He has 6 catches for 30+ yards and 17 clutch 2nd down conversion grabs. He caught ALL 6 targeted throws last game.

 Shawn Lemon 91 QS:
Has taken over the #2 spot in Sacks with 13, two back of Lorenzo Mauldin's corrected total of 15. Lemon's 13 Sacks is one short of his career-high, and with 91 now ranks #15 all-time, 5 back of Mike Walker (96).

 Darnell Sankey 104 DT: Leads the CFL with 104 defensive tackles having posted career and CFL season highs (for any player) of 12 last week. He is now 14 tackles short of the Riders' record of 118 set by David Albright in 1987. He is the 6th Saskatchewan player to record 100+ tackles. Larry Dean with 92 is only 8 tackles from the 100 mark.

 Jalen Philpot Breakout:
Philpot was targeted a season-high 7 times last week and caught 5 passes for 56 yards. Notable? Of his 241 receiving yards, 87 have come after the catch (YAC) - 36% of the total.

 Kick Return TDs:
Saskatchewan and Winnipeg lead the CFL with 3 kick return TDs apiece in 2022.

Thats crazy how calgary appears to be tying their cart with a big contract to a .500 quarterback

I think the age difference is playing a really big role here. Jake is 7 years younger than Bo, & they’re willing to gamble he’ll be as good as younger Bo was.

I really think the Rider season is over except for the crying and hopefully firings of a lot of Rider Management.

I support the Riders to the core but I expect and actually hope the Stamps crush the Riders. If the Riders do somehow upset the Stamps we may be stuck with the same upper management for a while.

I always worry about the health of players in every game but especially when a lot of back-ups are playing and trying to make a name for themselves (this is true on both sides of the ball and don't want any Stamps injured either). I am particularly worried about Fine. I am not sure he is the Rider answer going forward (pretty sure not) but would hate for him to be injured behind an O-line that many Junior or University teams could dominate.

1 Like