2022-10-08 Game Tracker - Edmonton Elks vs. Winnipeg Blue Bombers (6278)

Edmonton Elks

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/games/6278/edmonton-elks-vs-winnipeg-blue-bombers/#preview

Edmonton at Winnipeg
Saturday, 7:00 p.m. ET

WITH A WIN, AND A BC LIONS LOSS, THE BOMBERS CAN CLINCH FIRST IN THE WEST DIVISION (THE CANADIAN PRESS)

The second half of Saturday’s doubleheader will be the best in the West hosting the worst in the West.

Winnipeg is extremely close to clinching first place in the West and if I’m right with the previous pick, they’ll have the chance to do it at home on Saturday with a win over Edmonton.

I continue to like what I see from a developing Taylor Cornelius, as tough as that loss was at home last weekend, they against had the chance to win late in the game and the Elks have been a team that is in a lot more games recently than they were at the start of the season.

Winnipeg is a machine that continues to roll right along. Last week, the Roughriders pulled from 17-3 deficit to 17-13 and the Bombers offence only had eight net yards in the third quarter. I was wondering what was happening, if the Bombers are starting to lose a bit of that can’t stop/won’t stop attitude.

Then their next four offensive plays produced two touchdowns, and they pulled back to a comfortable fourth quarter lead and shut it down from there. Yeah, they’re not jogging it out to the finish line.

PICK: WINNIPEG (100 confidence bonus)

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

[quote="Capital_Dave, post:1, topic:81525"]
...only had eight net yards in the third quarter. I was wondering what was happening, if the Bombers are starting to lose a bit of that can’t stop/won’t stop attitude.Then their next four offensive plays produced two touchdowns, and they pulled back to a comfortable fourth quarter lead and shut it down from there. Yeah, they’re not jogging it out to the finish line.PICK: WINNIPEG (100 confidence bonus)

I agree I think this might be a trap game bombers over confident and the elks play for jobs anything can happen.

1 Like

Here are some comparison charts of the two teams:

1 Like

Yep... except there's the added incentive of clinching early that has O'Shea's banged up bunch stoked to put these walking luncheon meats away early.

Expect pre-season to continue in Edmonton with new faces rotating in as Chris Jones hurries to rebuild his club for next year. I think Jones will take a shot or two at winning this one but he's NOT going to miss out on this golden opportunity to evaluate talent against the league's top ranked team. Business comes first before pleasure in these final four ELKS 'preseason' games.

Thank you Capital Dave. You always go that extra mile (or 1.6 kilometers) to keep these threads stocked with facts, figures and promo pics. :smiley: :+1:

1 Like

Well Maxx that is exactly what the bombers think but the elks are playing for jobs and want to win more than the bombers they can clinch anytime now

Exactly. The Elks aren't a team yet. They're a bunch of individuals competing with each other for jobs. Only a select handful of players like Taylor Cornelius have a contract that says, "stay for dinner and keep your hands off my daughter".

Chris Jones wants his band of not so merry newcomers to 'learn how to win'. But they can't do that until they've finished this year's training camp (which SHOULD happen once Chris Jones settles on his roster choices after next year's second preseason game). Only then will the Elks have a chance to become a team and learn how to win.

Then again, this IS the CFL and upsets DO happen nearly every week...

When you think what Chris Jones is doing it makes sense? A full season of selecting players for the following year I would be next year those Elks wil not be a push over and I believe many of this weeks selcted players will do the best to be selected to be on a roaster next year if not for the Elks other teams as well. The toughest team to play is one a team full of players that are fighting for next years jobs and also have nothing more to play for.

Thanks. I only wish the league would make those charts and graphics visible in the forum posts.

@MattL91 Any chance that could be accomplished? Have the articles and graphics from CFL.ca pages able to be seen direclty in posts here?

1 Like

That’s one way to look at it and might even lead to a few wins, but most players fighting for jobs tend to be on the marginal side.

Another way to look at it is that the toughest team to play is the team with the most talent playing hard and together as a cohesive unit.

2 Likes

Bombers have been evaluating some new talent as well, bringing in reinforcements, not hopefuls. Different circumstances, but nonetheless they are as part of a well oiled, cohesive group of players with one common goal, not 24, give or take, individual goals.

It is a little sad for loyal Edmonton fans to have gone through this again this year with Mad Scientist Jones at the controls. Some consistency would have been appreciated I’m sure. What must his players be thinking?

That is not a group of players to build on for next year.

I know, any given Saturday, but not this Saturday. I do not see this game being that close.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Looks like the Bombers will have more players out than ever this season for this weekend’s game.

Well, that'd give the Elks a bit more of a fighting chance, I suppose.

1 Like

Bet Regal has the Blue Bombers as 13-point favourites for Saturday’s home game against the Edmonton Elks:

• The Blue Bombers have won six straight against the Elks dating back to the 2019 season.
  • Over the course of that streak the Blue Bombers have won by at least six points in every game and by an average margin of 16.5 points in the last four victories – 24-10 earlier this year and 37-22, 30-3 and 26-16 last season.

Winnipeg’s over-under point total is currently set at 31.5:

• The Blue Bombers have scored 116 points in their last three games – the 54-blowout win over the Riders in the Banjo Bowl and then 31 points in the loss in Hamilton and last week versus Saskatchewan.
1 Like