2022-07-07 Game Tracker - Calgary Stampeders vs. Edmonton Elks (6227)

Two guys capable of either running or passing would be really hard to stop in the Red Zone. Chris Streveler ‘The Leveler’ gave us that duel threat.

So I guess if you’re a DC before you become head coach it means you have no ability to understand offense at all then right? I was merely saying CJ is not known for really doing anything creative on offense…and also he’s not the Defensive Coordinator…he’s the head coach and GM …Elks don’t have a DC…i mean as a fan of the team its not like you’re expected to know facts or anything right?

Streveler could run…and that’s about it as his passing ability was pretty bleh. I never understood why teams didn’t automatically blitz as soon as he was on the field as the chances of him passing were around 10%.

1 Like

Closer to one third of the times Streveler would pass. That’s why O’Shea would leave him in half of the time after a successful 3rd down conversion attempt. His short passing game was around 65%. Very effective. On the longer passes he seemed to have no touch on the ball.

1 Like

I feel like 65% on short passes is not that accurate…I would have to run through the actual numbers but don’t most QB’s in this league average somewhere around 80% accuracy on the short yard passes?

Short passes are the most risky if that’s ALL you do. Just look at poor Matt Nichols with that bum arm last season getting intercepted so many times. Streveler did most of his damage in situations where either a run or short pass was required. That’s why we had the most effective Red Zone offence in the CFL when he was in there.

Well Matt “Game Manager” Nichols isn’t exactly the person you want to compare anyone with when comparing how well he can throw. I agree the Bombers had good red zone production but I don’t think that had anything to do with Strevler’s arm, more likely defenses had to split between coverage on him, coverage on Harris, and a 65% chance that he will complete a 8 yard pass so it made him look more dangerous than he was. It was the OC putting him in a great position with Harris and his running ability that made his very below average passing ability seem “dangerous”

You are most generous. :rofl:

Seriously… we were darned near unstoppable.

What was the red zone production over the last couple of years? I don’t legit watch anything like that even during the game as it only seems to be an issue when you have a QB or team that simply cannot convert in the red zone (ah Trevor Harris).

We’re becoming less and less effective in the Red Zone these days. We’ll never see that kind of production this year (heavy sigh).

Collaros is NO threat to run when we get inside the twenty.

So the defence just runs out on the field and does their own thing?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Well in that game against BC you could argue that yes they seemed to do exactly that.

Wouldn’t that be funny to watch? :grin:

Maybe Adam Bighill could call the defensive schemes but IMHO it’s still better if an ‘eye in the sky’ who can see the whole field at once coordinates the defence.

Streveler did throw a medium length TD pass in the Grey Cup on one of those occasions he stayed in the game after a short yardage run. Those were a thing of beauty as he seemed to average 4-5 yards on his “sneaks”. After he was done he would immediately don his furs on the sideline.

1 Like

Good times! :smiley: :+1:

1 Like

Hope all the thunderstorms the radar move through before game time.....

Do you live there Squishy? Are you going to the game?

Yikes. No lightning delays please. It’s tough enough for Kate Beirness to keep those CFL on TSN PANEL dudes in line when they’re NOT bored.

I do live in Edmonton. Wish I was, still working on that stuff in therapy. Agoraphobia that came with PTSD, fear of being triggered in crowds…

2 Likes

Funny thing is, being “straight up confused” is true to life for Henry. More than people know!

1 Like