2021 Training Camp

In the next days, CFL players will be coming to their respective teams for a 7 day quarantine. The training camps will begin Saturday, July 10,2021.

Presently and taking into account the retirement of Martin Bédard, the Alouettes training camp roster amounts to 106 players, i.e. 64 A and 42 N. By positions, the numbers are:
QUARTERBACKS- 5 A
RUNNING BACKS/FULLBACKS- 10, 5 A and 5 N
WIDE RECEIVERS- 21, 15 A and 6 N
OFFENSIVE LINEMEN- 14, 5 A and 9 N
DEFENSIVE LINEMEN- 18, 12 A and 6 N
LINEBACKERS- 15, 7 A and 8 N
DEFENSIVE BACKS- 17, 13 A and 4 N
LONG SNAPPER- 1 N
KICKERS/PUNTERS- 5 2A and 3 N

Since the last playoff game of 2019, 21 players on the active roster are now gone; the major losses/departures are N LB Henoc Muamba and N OG Trey Rutherford. The fact that they were/ are N players hurts the most; Henoc was an excellent ratio changer. More players are gone, but I don't bother with players that were on practice roster and injured lists and now gone.

Since the end of 2019, a total of 75 players, 45 A and 30 N have been added; some are rookies and others newcomers; these numbers take into consideration N rookies drafted in 2020 and free agents signed in 2020. The additions by positions are:
QUARTERBACKS- 3 A
RUNNING BACKS AND FULLBACKS- 7, 4 A and 3 N
WIDE RECEIVERS- 13, 9A and 4 N
OFFENSIVE LINEMEN- 8, 2 A and 6 N
DEFENSIVE LINEMEN- 15, 10A and 5 N
LINEBACKERS- 11, 5 A and 6 N
DEFENSIVE BACKS- 12, 10 A and 2 N
LONG SNAPPER- 1 N
KICKERS AND PUNTERS- 5, 2 A and 3 N

The high numbers of new A players are in the positions of defensive linemen, defensive backs and receivers.

The next days-more retirements or releases?- and training camp will be quite interesting.

Richard

Effective tomorrow, 5,000 fans will be allowed to attend outdoor events in the Province. Definitely good news for the Alouettes.

Does anyone knows where the 2021 training camp will be held? Stade Olympique or a University campus?

Richard

I just asked the Alouettes on their Facebook page where camp will be held. I'll report back if I get an answer.

Thank you, Johnny.

Richard

A quelques jours du début du camp, ça serait bien d'avoir un alignement à jour sur le site web du club.

1 Like

Does anybody know if GM's/coaches were allowed to meet with their players in these past weeks before training camp opens?

Reason for asking is that I do not believe these recent releases are random or guesses based on old film. I suspect they are formally or informally meeting together online and perhaps even giving them playbooks. Whoever teams are cutting is based on players not grasping the playbook or who look out-of-shape. Furthermore, I think clubs are bringing in new players to their online meetings and are introduced to the team before their names appear on CFL transactions as being signed.

Five players have been suspended by the Alouettes:
-Jermaine Ponder- DB A
-Spencer Moore- FB N
-DL Lalama- LB N
-Donald Hawkins- OL A
-Jason Hall- LB A

I presume that these players were late arriving/ have not arrived, yet. Could one or more decide to retire? We will see.

Richard

Or perhaps like Labatte in Sask they do not want to live with the CFL protocols.

We certainly need Lalama.

Some of these players could be back, but I presume that most feel that they won't make the team. Yes, Lalama was good, but with all N LBs signed, I wonder if he feels that he does not have many chances.

Richard

This is going to be a tough year for newcomers to break in. With no pre-season games and a year off. It won't be so much about talent as it will be in player readiness and knowledge.

While the Als are lucky having a by in the first week, allowing them the equivalent of a week extra training camp (sort of). Roster cut down will be so quick, that a lot of the cuts we won't even get a glimpse of.

Surpris et déçu pour la liste, essentiellement pour Lamala. Maciocia disait beaucoup de bien de lui dès 2020.

Don't worry. Could be as simple as him showing up a week later because he has a job to finish or something personal (birth of a child) coming up. Suspension allows them not to count on the roster is all it means.

Many newcomers and rookies. will make the team. Why? The high numbers of veterans gone. More veterans are likely gone before the 2021 season begins.

Richard

Interesting dilemma for coaching staffs across the league. Do you hang on to your veterans in a shortened season or do you accept the lost year and double down on youth. And everything in between. But there will be different strategies across the league. Hamilton and Toronto is NOW for example. Ottawa and BC probably are looking at using the opportunity to rebuild. Montreal somewhere in the middle.

For most teams many players, mostly veterans are gone; the majority of teams will have many newcomers and rookies on their teams.

Regarding the Alouettes, if we take into consideration active players on last game of 2019 + players on injured lists + players on practice roster, a total of 44 players, i.e. 23 A and 21 are now gone.

For the 2021 season, there will be 44 players on active roster + 13 players on practice roster + 5 players on taxi squad, for a total of 62 players; I am positive that there will be players on injured lists and, for these reasons /factors I don't foresee less than 65 players with the Alouettes, once the 2021 season begins.

Given the departures and the positions to fill, the Alouettes will have many, many newcomers and rookies on rosters, including active, practice, 5 players taxi squad and injured lists.

Richard

Gone: Shall read: 23 A and 21 N.

Richard

That is an incredible number... Als are luckier than most they get their entire offense back excluding the two starters on the offensive line. Some teams are going to struggle to generate offense, in the Als case their defense and special teams will be built from scratch.

1 Like

A week or so ago, MadJack's main concern with the Alouettes was "the lack of experience at backup QB". When we look at all teams rosters, we realize that there is not too much experience at backup QBs, except Hamilton and, to a certain degree, Toronto.

I list the QBs on present rosters of all CFL teams; all, except Hamilton, Calgary and Winnipeg, have 5 QBs on rosters; Hamilton has only 3 and Calgary and Winnipeg have 4 each. The quarterbacks on present rosters are:

MONTREAL
Number 1- Vernon Adams JR.
Darius James Peterson
Chris Robison
Broc Rutter
Matthew Shiltz

HAMILTON
Number 1-Jeremiah Masoli
Number 2- Dane Evans
J'Mar Smith

OTTAWA
Number 1- Matt Nichols
Taryn Christion
Dominique Davis
Caleb Evans
Chase Litton

TORONTO
Number 1- Nick Arbuckle or McLeod Bethel Thompson
Kenji Bahar
Antonio Pipkin
Nick Tiano

BC
Number 1- Michael Reilly
William Arndt
D'Angelo Fulford
Shea Patterson
Nathan Rourke N

CALGARY
Number 1- Bo Levi Mitchell
Jake Maier
Michael O'Connor N
Dakota Prukop

EDMONTON
Number 1- Trevor Harris
Drew Anderson
Jeremiah Briscoe
Taylor Cornelius
Troy Williams

Saskatchewan
Number 1- Cody Fajardo
Mason Fine
Tom Flacco
Isaac Harker
Paxton Lynch

Winnipeg
Number 1- Zach Collaros
Number 2- Sean McGuire
Dru Brown
Dalton Sneed

I guess that the training camps will be interesting. There could be rookies making the grade to number 2 QBs.

Richard

It will be interesting to follow the progression of these new QBs.

One of my big arguments for the XFL not being attractive enough for a lucrative US TV contract is the lack of enough quality QBs to go around.

Then again, with no CFL pre-season games, it will be tough to get a handle on the rookie QBs until forced into action due to injuries.

No CFL preseason games would favor the Als keeping Matt Shiltz. Guy has been there for 3 training camps already. He would be able to grasp the playbook, and he is familiar with the CFL game. That being said, this should be Shiltz's last opportunity to demonstrate that he is a starting QB in the CFL.