2021 season will be delayed according to reporter Arash Madani

According to Arash Madani, April 19 will be the day that the CFL will officially confirm
that this 2021 season will not start on time !!!

Also expect some news on the merger talks between the CFL and the XFL.

1 Like

And you believe this goof?

2 Likes

Nothing really unexpected. Regardless of the source. The players would need to know soon if they are expected or allowed to make their way across the border and/or book any transportation . I doubt the league would be able to give a definitive answer in the next 2 weeks. Plan B could be a shortened camp. Plan C could be no preseason games. So it doesn’t mean (yet) that we won’t see 18 games.
But at this point a 12 game season starting in early August would be welcomed.

3 Likes

But would the players want to play 12 games which would be 66% of their pay?
Teams would only receive 66% of their TV contract and only 6 home games.

As for the pre-sesaon? it should be scrapped, it’s a scrimmage of rookies and we seldom get to see the starters. If we do see the starters for a quarter they are likely going up against the other teams rookies. The NFL scrapped it last season and it wasn’t missed.
Who knows when the premiers will allow fans in the stands. The way that Ford reacts in Ontario with shut downs and restrictions when the numbers go up, we will never see football this year

Some might retire, most will play. Most know or expect, at this point, this season will not be “normal”.

2 Likes

If by “wasn’t missed” you mean the horrible play during the first few WEEKS, the increased number of injuries - both contact and non-contact, and other issues, then you were watching a different league than I.

3 Likes
  1. The length of the season would be negotiated with the PA, not the players directly, so if some don’t like it, but the majority are okay, then the season would be played.

2. Teams would receive 2/3 of their revenue for both TV and fans in the stands, but, (and like PeeWee used to say - that’s a big but) their expenses should also be 2/3 of the expected total for the year. This is what is known in life as a “wash”.

3. The CFL needs the Pre-Season games both to evaluate new talent (plus veterans because they did not play last year), and for the extra revenue. If it is scrapped the “wash” referred to in “2.” would not happen.

1 Like

Maybe they could run the training camps and the preseason in the US. In some sort of deal with the XFL cities. Could get the Canadian players vaccinated while they are down there. Come back to Canada fully vaccinated and ready to play.

2 Likes

No I disagree, I didn’t see any horrible play or injuries.
You forget that the players playing in the pre-season don’t play in the regular season. Every year it’s the same, the starters sit on the sidelines.
Look at that terrible performance in Winnipeg when the Packer played there, not one starter just packups and guys that were eventually cut.
It’s not like they are using the pre-season games to work on their starting roster or use the starters for timing etc, you don’t see the starters until the first game of the season!!
Teams use their practices to put their starting offense against the starting defense. Teams don’t want to give away their plays etc.
When have you ever seen a pre-season game CFL or NFL where the starting offense is out there for a game against the other teams defense??

Is there nothing that isn’t subject to argument on this site?

In the CFL I watch, usually the final pre-season game features starters-on-starters for approximately the whole first half. Sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less, depending on coaching philosophy.

2 Likes

For what it's worth. I pass on all major sports' exhibition games and/or preseason games whatever they want to call it.

1 Like

It’s a good excuse to get out to the stadium on a warm night and enjoy a couple of adult beverages. And if it’s the second game, you generally see the starters for a quarter or two, plus get a look at the back-up QBs for a quarter or two. Other teams on TV, not so much.

3 Likes

When your ST have pre season as part of it you get to appreciate seeing those on the bubble trying to make the team. I don’t mind it.

2 Likes

I’m a walk up ticket buyer for regular season and playoff games. I am spur of the moment type of guy

Then you’re being wilfully ignorant.
The starters sat out the game in WPG because the field was actually UNSAFE for an NFL-sized field. I don’t blame them for sitting it out.

1 Like

That explains a LOT…

2 Likes

Agree with this. You may see some vets say to hell with it. Some will have started jobs and not want to risk a steady paycheque.

But the younger players likely still have dreams of getting to the NFL and want to get game tape. This might be an even better year for them to get an opportunity at a starting job. If guys will keep their dream alive playing in the Spring League, or Fan Controlled Football, they will play 12 games in the CFL.

There are only so many people on this earth that are athletically gifted enough to be able to eke out a living playing a sport they love. They will have decades afterward to get a 9 to 5 gig like the rest of us.

2 Likes

I wonder if the CFL teams have considered using their stadiums as vaccination hubs ? It would seem to be a win/win for the league as well as the six host provinces . The federal government might look even more favourably at the league and what it does for Canadian unity .

Pat Lynch (the old guy)

1 Like

It would be a great idea, if we had the vaccines. The shortage of supply is very obvious now.