2021 NHL Season

Seriously do you actually believe all the young players are not heading out?

We have seen multiple times in other leagues going out of their bubbles (hey they aren’t celibate monks after all)

Maybe I am mission something but that math sounds really wonky…

First paragraph claims 6.6 million views for the night
Second paragraph claims 2.1 million watched Toronto vs Montreal
Third paragraph claims 1.1 million watched Edmonton vs Vancouver

But… 2.1 + 1.1 = 3.2 … and that’s assuming you have unique viewers (eg people turn off tv after 1st game and diff people turn on tv for 2nd game)

*edit
Even stranger… SportsNet had broadcasting difficulties and lost the Leafs - Canadians game
Which makes their claims even more suspect
8:21PM they acknowledge some regions lost signal

hmm… what has celibacy got to do with it?

Bubbles in terms of testing requirements.

But yes though players ‘shouldn’t’ go out out some could which is no different than non-hockey players doing the same. They’ll be fined by the league if they break the protocol.

Hopefully most if not all will comply

What?! You never heard of the stories of when the late John Kordic when he played for the Leafs that after a game, he’d frequent the hookers on Church Street.

John Kordic died in a during an arrest in a seedy motel after his playing days. It took a half dozen of cops to take Kordic down. He was tazed several times before he died in custody.

So celibacy would have an advantage

2 Likes

Leafs back in the win column 5-3 over the Sens.

Jumbo Joe scored his first as a Leaf along with Matthews finding the net for the first time.

Tim Stutzle scored his first of his career for the Sens

The 6.6 million number is the total reach. That means that many unique individuals watched at least a part of their opening night coverage some of those may have only watched a few minutes.

The 2.1 million is the average watching at any one time throughout the Leafs game. That doesn’t mean that at all times 2.1 million were watching. At times it would be less than that and likely peaked at a much higher than 2.1 million late in the game but overall the average was 2.1 million…

Not everyone watches an entire game which is why the reach number is always larger than average number.

One of the few big trades this season will bring. Both had young top 3 picks that needed new homes.

Roslovic already signs a 2 year extension with CBJ.

Jets didn't get enough back for the 2 IMO. 3 rounder is too low.

Jets just saved a few $$

1 Like

I loved the format in the 80s. Play 8 games against your division opponents (7 in the Patrick), and then have to play two rounds against rivals. You got an awesome hatred for your rivals and it would help sell tickets in the weaker markets.
Hartford would only sell out when nearby Boston came to town and the Devils and Islanders would get a boost from visiting Ranger fans.

4 Likes

Ah the Hartford Whalers. Great jerseys!

5 Likes

Well I have two observations from here in the US in watching some action this week.

1. Without fans, I have tried, but watching for more than 10 minutes or so blows. It's just too dull without the ambient noise and energy and the announcers not only do not fill that void but try too hard.

2. NBCSN is already mailing it in for the year, for I figure word had gotten out earlier in the week to the staff that, as announced yesterday, NBCSN is shuttering at the end of 2021 and migrating some programming over to USA Network.

It's a grand shame, for this is the one cable sports network we have down here that should remain as the steaming hot crap that are ESPN and FS1 should be the networks that shutter operations by May if I had my way on these matters.

I understand it from a business standpoint though, for the only two things NBCSN has had going are Premier League and NHL and on the latter they are ailing now with two season under the pandemic.

Yes, I blame the pandemic too or they would not have to head down this road so hastily in 2021 as they likely would have done years down the road.

And this development of course affects my negotiation with my cable company especially if they only offer me a 2-year contract, for now I will tell them:

"Well they are shuttering NBCSN my favourite by the end of the year, and I don't want that ESPN and FS1 crap anyway, so what else do you have for sports hmmm?"

1 Like

never fear, AFL will soon be here :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think NBC will drop the NHL from it’s programming citing low ratings.

NBC should’ve secured the World Junior Hockey Championship from the IIHF and used the TSN broadcast because the US junior hockey program is on par or greater than the Canadian program. The WJC is huge up here in Canada. It can be big in the States if the network tugs at the patriotic angle like what NBC does for it’s Olympic coverage

That’s not happening either down here. We’ll have to disagree. It reminds me of what happened to FIBA basketball. Nobody cares.

I admit, when it’s on more, I will watch that more too! :joy:

Nobody cared because it was a given that the USA would win the tourney. If the US Public watches the Little League World Series, they can definitely invest their time watching a tourney with kids that will play in the NHL

1 Like

Well I have some agreement with you here. They could be targeting a new generation of young parents and their kids. But I assure you most anybody over about 35 or so, but for diehard hockey fans, does not care.

1 Like

NHL suspends former Arizona Coyotes GM John Chayka - TSN.ca

This stems from the summer when we wanted out of his contract to peruse another opportunity which we was denied permission.

Had 3 years left on his deal per Dreger.

Suspension runs through December 31, 2021. Is it me or does this sound light?

With teams tightening their belts and the nature of this Covid season, very few will be fired in front office roles and any vacancy will most likely be filled internal so Chayka wouldn't be back in the league in the short term anyways.

Is there actually any teeth here?

1 Like

In regards to the fallout here in the US due to the phase out of NBCSN, there is much chatter of course about the new NHL rights after this season.

Agree With NHL

On one hand, I can see it the way of the NHL for wanting to extend regional coverage for certain markets and get more money via rights and advertisers, and they indeed will, for those local and regional rights much as they do already here in Philadelphia through the NBC Sports Philadelphia channels for all the live games for NHL, NBA, and MLB. Indeed the local teams all do get a piece of this action as well.

Personally, I don't care for any of these local Philadelphia teams (sorry again FYB :sweat_smile: ) or the NBA or MLB, but now they are putting more Premier League on these channels and replays on regular channels are better than streams. We pay for these channels extra anyway and it's obligatory via the "Regional Sports Fee" for all cable subscribers, so I'm good with better content on there as in games instead of local blowhard and windbag sports media homers and lame Eagles pregame and post-game shows and the like.

Disagree With NHL

Now my understanding is they wish to divvy up the rights between 2 networks for national games. Well my friends, this is what the MLS does and well, let me tell you this is a terrible idea for hockey south of the border.

Make certain games on ONE network national as did the NBC networks on select nights each week with the same time every single week (or an hour later for West Coast games) or put a doubleheader on certain holiday weekends.

When you jump around schedules on multiple networks, it does not work for most television viewers including especially us the older set as the younger folks simply do not sit for hours to watch sports on TV as much any more.

By doing so, the NHL carves up much of its existing audience as otherwise, like all pro leagues, still works on various digital technologies, beyond Amazon or Facebook, to reach Generation Z.

1 Like