2021 Grey Cup Sells Out?

Well this is good news at least for a league where many lament they are losing fanbase
Ticket sales have been brisk despite everything the government has been doing to stifle business

3 Likes

Are they allowing full capacity or are there restrictions?

Grey Cup selling out in December?

Wouldn't that go against the argument of having the Grey Cup in October?

If the league couldn’t manage to sell out the game in a dinkified little bandbox like Tim Horton’s Dump, you’d really have to question the viability of the CFL.

1 Like

Not when we have you to question it for us

3 Likes

Where's a good place to stay in Hamilton? Is it better to stay in Toronto or Niagra?

Nope. It shows that time of year is irrelevant. If anything it makes the argument for it.

1 Like

I agree, they play football till Jan. 30 th in nfl. And not always in ideal situations, and you never here anyone whining about the weather like you do up here. Put huge heaters on the sidelines like they used to do in the 70’s. Sell out , yahoo!

2 Likes

Sponsors are doing giveaways / contests online so if people can't afford tickets they could still possibly go . I've been entering one contest daily

1 Like

Canada with the exception of Hamilton, Winnipeg and Saskatchewan is in love with hockey and nothing else matters. February 20, 2011 they played an outdoor hockey game at McMahon stadium in Calgary and 40k people showed up. Talk about an outdoor door football game at the same time and you’re told it isn’t possible.

Capacity is restricted that is why Hamilton gets another crack at hosting
But consider how quickly the season ticket holders all snapped up the set aside tickets is a very good sign people are willing to travel and congregate so long as league stays safe

Based on article there are very few of those tix

1 Like

I am good with the Grey Cup in November and December.

1 Like

Great job, even if capacity will be 24k for the Grey Cup. Hopefully they can do this again in a couple of years with a Higher capacity.

As for the earlier comment about relevance, I would agree that this does go against the push for an earlier Grey Cup. The primary concern/complaint about an end of November Grey Cup has been winter weather.

1 Like

I think the push for earlier Cups is not usually about attendance at the Grey Cup itself, since that game basically always sells out. It's more about attendance at the semi-finals, finals, and even late-season games, which is often much lower than we get for Sept and early October games.

1 Like

But attendance usually goes up after Labour Day.

Still not sure why moving the season up 5-6 weeks will solve attendance issues for the playoffs.

Not sure sacrificing attendance in May, June is worth having a better gate in the playoffs in October.

Cold weather in November is a factor and a charm and adds to the appeal of the Grey Cup during that time.

Depends where you are coming from. If you are flying in to Toronto then stay there and rent a car

The news out of Hamilton is encouraging, even if the team parties and festival won't happen. An unfortunate reality for a small stadium is that ticket prices have to be steep but they're still getting scooped up. I was surprised at how few seats were left when I got my season ticket holder access window.

Grey Cup is an annual tradition for me and my crew. One from Calgary, three from Manitoba and usually one or two more from Ontario and Nova Scotia. Regardless of when or where, we're going to be there. And one way or another, we'll make our own party.

2 Likes

The local bars and restaurants should take advantage of the loss of the league organized parties and host some events on their own .

2 Likes

Attendance peaks at Labour Day and is high for September and early October. Then it goes down in late October and early November.

I'm not advocating for an earlier start--as you say, games in May and early June might not draw any better than late October and November.

I'm just saying you can't say a sold-out Grey Cup is evidence against an earlier start when Grey Cup attendance has never been the issue.

1 Like

Ever tried Airbnb? You might get a whole house for the price of a hotel room. :thinking: