2021 Free Agents, Rookies and other thoughts

I just saw the listing of free agents for 2021. It is massive. I notice that some teams have free agents now that have not even worn the team jersey in a game. What do people think will happen? Will there be a lot of movement? Will teams be offering big money or will the purse strings be drawn tight? Will players hold out for more or sign for less? Then there is the prospect of 2 years' worth of rookies, those drafted in the spring of 2020 that didn't even get to camp and a whole new crop for 2021. Will there be 2 Global Players per team as before or more/less?
One thing, I think we can be sure of is you are going to need a program going into the first few games to know who is on your team.

The players are not free agents until Feb.9
The teams they were signed to last year can re-negotiate starting Dec. 7

Question?????
Will any signing bonus paid before Dec.31 2020 count towards last season salary cap as it has done in previous seasons?

Question#2 ???
Has a new salary cap been declared or are we still on the old CBA which would be $5.35M

The original listing of potential free agents, on December,4 2020, had a total of 351 players; if we exclude the retired players and the ones released since then, the total is closer to 335. From December 7,2020 to December 31, 2020 a total of 92 players have been re-signed. The numbers, per team, are:

Winnipeg: 1.
BC: 6.
Toronto: 6.
Ottawa: 8.
Calgary: 9.
Hamilton: 12.
Saskatchewan: 12.
Montreal: 18.
Edmonton: 20.

Total of 92.

Richard

1 Like

This is quite the list!

When free agency begins, on February 9,2021, I expect that most of these players will have already been re-signed. I doubt that there will be many movements, particularly amongst top players.

Unfortunate for Masoli, but there won't be takers for a QB. All teams are set, although Hamilton will do the outcast to re-sign Masoli.

Richard

1 Like

Of the 18 CFL players representatives 10 are presently potential free agents; they are:

BC: 1, i.e. David Mackie
Calgary: 2, i.e. Charlie Power and Jamar Wall
Saskatchewan: 1, i.e. Charleston Hughes
Winnipeg: 1, i.e. Thomas Miles
Toronto: 1, i.e. Chris Ackie
Hamilton: 2, i.e. Mike Feler and Chris Van Zeyl
Montreal: 2, i.e. DJ Lalama and Henoc Muamba

I know that there are still 37 1/2 days before free agency open and many of these players should have been re-signed by then.

Richard

Richard

1 Like

Another installment from John Hodge rumours

Fixing CFL Free Agencyhttps://www.tsn.ca/dave-naylor-a-fix-for-the-cfl-s-free-agency-problem-1.1574382

1 Like