Prairie
Montreal
Saskatchewan
Winnipeg

Mountain
BC
Calgary
Edmonton

Four teams make the playoffs (1 wildcard from any division). The semifinals would be a best-two-out-of-three series with the two winners playing one game in the Grey Cup.

1 Like

Like the Best 2 out of 3 semifinal.

Win 2 straight and have 2 weeks to prepare for the Grey Cup Final.

But, like the single division format, this is unlikely as well.

In what world would anybody consider Montreal being on the Prairies ? So basically you have taken a team and city that is farther away then the 3 Ontario teams and lumped them in with Saskatchewan and Winnipeg .

Brilliant , absolutely brilliant :crazy_face: :roll_eyes: Maybe you can go see if there is a toilet or something that needs flushing . :poop:

3 Likes

I disagree with that alignment, makes no sense. Travel for prairie division lopsided especially Montreal. Would there still be an interlocking schedule?
Also can't agree with that playoff format either, unfair, 1 team may play three games and incur additional injuries just to play a team who had two weeks rest and ability to recover from injuries. Plus you don't know when the Grey Cup will be played. No need to have a host City or Grey Cup week.

My reputation precedes me.

Grey Cup would be played in playoff week 4. Best of three series would be playoff weeks 1 thru 3. If both team sweep their opponents, both teams get two weeks prep for the Grey Cup. The Grey Cup date would be etched in stone.

As far as Montreal, I agree. But everyone plays basically the same schedule whether they're in the same division or not.

Think of Montreal in the Prairie division as the Cincinnati Reds in the National League West (many decades ago). Or the Atlanta Falcons and New Orleans Saints in the NFC West many years ago with the 49ers and LA Rams.

In other words, it's not perfect but it's the best format possible given the circumstances.

I would think the additional week off could be a disadvantage.

The B1G had the same problems in bowl games so they created a championship game and moved it closer to bowl season so their champ would not lose momentum.

Not a big fan of the extra week off although that would allow for teams clean up some injuries.
With your scenario, using 2019 as the template, playoffs would have been
Ticats (1) vs Wpg (WC)
Riders (2) vs Stamps (3)
That would have been an interesting series.

Based on top 4 teams. But if the schedule was different the outcome would likely been different.
Whether fully interlocking, or play more in your own division.
But using 2018 as the template.
Stamps (1) vs Wpg (WC)
Riders (2) vs Redblack's (4)

Hmmm....... interesting

Ok, not likely the CFL would change, but interesting

Okay, I'll bite. How is B.C. still a mess?

The Grey Cup will be scheduled as is at a neutral site. That won't necessarily change.

Honestly they will never be any type of agreement or consensus on this topic.

And would you worry about where the Final would be?

All other leagues are good with a best of 7 series with a home team in it.

If the team with the better record ends up hosting the final, then that's how it should be. All playoff game revenues will be split amongst the teams anyways as long as they work out some sort of formula.

BC is mediocre. I can see them fighting for a crossover though

It appears many fans (and hopefully teams) are sleeping on them.

Lots of upgrades and meaningful, sneaky good FA signings:

WR - Dominque Rhymes (Ottawa)
SB - Lucky Whitehead (Winnipeg)
RT - Ryker Mathews (Hamilton)
DB - Marcus Sayles (Winniipeg)
RB - Shaq Cooper (Edmonton)
DE - Chris Casher (Calgary)
DE - RJ Tavai (Ottawa)

If the interior of the defensive line can penetrate and they find a reliable kicker (my two biggest areas of concern), they're going to surprise a lot of people. Arguably the best receiving corps in the league.

1 Like

"All other leagues are good with a best of 7 series with a home team in it"

Do you mean only the NHl, or other hockey leagues. I unaware of any other best of seven series in other sports. Please update me if I'm incorrect.

."If the team with the better record ends up hosting the final, then that's how it should be. All playoff game revenues will be split amongst the teams anyways as long as they work out some sort of formula."

Grey Cup week is a huge $$$$ generator, plus one of the greatest way the CFL's connects with their fans, it takes years to plan all the events, most if not all teams are involved with event in the host City.
I've been to 4 Grey Cups. More fun than humans should have.

Also if you've seen my next post to 'EZ Football' you may note I found that idea interesting.

My mistake, I do apologize for that.:beers:

1 Like

[quote="mahalcflers, post:35, topic:71624"]
If the team with the better record ends up hosting the final, then that's how it should be.[/quote]

The team with the better facilities, parking, paid fan attendance during the year should get the game, not the team with the better record.