2021 Edmonton Roster

I might as well start the new thread for sake of team chatter.

Sean Whyte still to kick, and now Hugh O'Neill and that beard are back to punt? What's not to like?

I do believe that beard is of Stanley Cup playoff-envy and was graduated from the Paul Bunyan Barber School.

I'm clean-shaven here, but maybe some others have opinions on these matters here in slow-time.

1 Like

Lonely here Paolo. Things still ticking somewhat on the Ticat board. I guess that people want a name first.

1 Like

Looking at the Esks roster; and in relation to all the typical CFL talk about CFL teams having "ratio problems" or lacking depth in Canadian talent:

The Eks have 9 (!) Canadian receivers on their roster currently: Tevaughn Smith (emerged as a good starter as a rookie last season); plus 3 other guys with significant CFL starting or playing experience - Mike Jones (Ticats); Anthony Parker (Stamps +); Jimmy Ralph (Argos); plus their own former draft picks - Harry McMaster; Shai Ross: Hunter Karl: and a couple of other CFL teams draft picks - Dan Vandervoort (BC 1st rounder) and Malik Richards (Bombers)

No way they can carry near all those guys; and likely only one NI starter ? - some other CFL teams can look there for TC cuts to pick-up a receiver if they have need.

An example of outstanding Canadian talent /depth on one CFL team at a specific position group (the Bombers with Harris + Augustine & Oliveira at RB another example); and the Esks also have Boateng, Matt Betts, plus 3 DE types from last draft for TC competition at that spot. But meanwhile, they basically have an empty cupboard at Canadian LB now - however there is a real deep LB crop (IMO) this coming draft if they want to re-stock there.

A point being - there is lots of Canadian talent out there for CFL teams to look at; and not the opposite as some Canadian talent, ignorant nay-sayers /
no "depth" commentators love to spew.

1 Like

Well, certainly I hope we can talk about the roster very soon now! We'll see how it shapes up in July.

I wonder when they will change over the team name here to Elks? I'm keeping my "EE" for awhile anyway because it still works.

Back to the roster.

Given the size of these camp rosters and the time elapsed, it's like everybody and their brother who played in the XFL, or who was in an NFL camp or on an practice squad, or who was a solid college starter is in these camps now.

5 quarterbacks? 7 running backs? Look at the receivers near the bottom and the names will make your head spin. And that's only the offence minus the line!

We'll see where things go from here in perhaps 2 weeks after some cuts or sadly, injuries.

I’m excited to see Hunter Karl and Eric Blake play at the cfl level, I streamed both Dino and Mcmaster games when they played and I’ve known Eric Blake for years, I meet him when I was in high school since he is from my hometown

RB
5 Americans and looks like quite the battle for a position to be filled by 2 Americans it looks like to me

WR
If any of these 4 veterans are cut for some reason, amongst any others I am missing on this level, I see them landing on another CFL team anyway.

As it is a shorter season, the experience factor becomes somewhat more valuable because quite simply there's hardly any regular season time to coach a player up to get up to speed and you cannot replace hardly CFL or professional game experience with merely new talent including in particular late in the season.

Armanti Edwards
Greg Ellingson
Kenny Stafford
Derel Walker

Update 23 July

This article reads like James Wilder is the lead now for the starting position at running back, which is not a surprise with 3 others left for the backup slot and any special teams duty as well if they are versatile:

at present, D. Walker is my second fav REC behind Burnham. Who will you trade him for, besides Burnham.

Ellingson is one of my fave receivers and he is a nice guy off the field too I’ve meet Greg 3 times

It looks to me like the offensive line is shaping up very well. There are so many solid names in camp.

Well they let Stafford go, and given his experience and injuries coming, I figure another team will pick him up.

Update 23 July

Well this did not go well at all the way it was handled. "Cultural fit" - interesting choice of words ...hmmm... :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

At least Elizondo complimented his ability and clarified that was not the reason that Stafford was cut:

Update 25 July

Stafford responds. This sucks and I don't feel that Elizondo handled this well after cutting him.

Why? The bridge is charred or burned that's why. It's not as if there are a lot of healthy CFL veterans who can play receiver ready to go mid-season on the sidelines without a team if your team needs one.

Even as Elizondo does not feel he's a fit now, well now he said something more and that was unprofessional and disrespectful at minimum.

I figure Stafford will get an opportunity somewhere else as the season starts or soon afterwards.

1 Like

Here's hoping Wilder finds his form again in the backfield!

1 Like

or not :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Sorry but the guys a one hit wonder . He never really had any form to talk about in the first place . Now I could be wrong here and for your sake you might hope I am but I’ve never been a fan of this self absorbed prima donna drama queen and his me , me first attitude . The dude is a legend in his own mind if you ask me .

yikes seems Edmonton may be having some toxic staff issues like redblacks have . since a coach talking shit about a player who spent multiple years with a team in the past isn;t ok

2 Likes

Stamps fan eh

LOL.

No actually FYB is a Lions fan . :lion: :grinning:
Or if you’re referring to me ? I’m a fan of the other Cat team in the league . :tiger: :grinning:

I never followed the Argos that closely unless it was Allen or Flutie or Ray under center. Didn't realize he was a problem, rush for 1300 yards and do whatever dumb crap off the field you want lmao :rofl:

And also it's not unusual for an athlete to behave like that anyways. It kinda happens a lot

Well let’s just say that I’ve never been a fan of one James Wilder . Hopefully though for you and your team in Edmonton he turns out alright…except of course when ya play my Cats !!!
:grinning: :tiger: