2021 CFL Schedule

The new schedule has some significant modifications, compared with recent seasons.

The East v. West matchups will not include Home & Away games with every team. Each team will only play 8 inter-divisional games, which leaves 10 games versus teams in their own division.
What are some of the repercussions:

1. Hamilton will not visit Vancouver in 2021; the Lions will visit THF;
  2. Hamilton fans will not have an opportunity to see the Saskatchewan Roughriders at THF this year; the Tiger-Cats will make the trip to Regina;
  3. Because there is one fewer team in the East Division, Ottawa / Montreal will play each other 4 times, and Toronto / Hamilton will play each other 4 times.

What do you think ??

1 Like

I think you have the BC and Sask things backwards:

I do indeed . . . will edit original post . . . thanx.

I also think Toronto and Hamilton playing twice in Week 13 is notable (Wednesday then Monday for Labour Day)

2 Likes

Traditionally the east plays 10 games against the west and 8 games versus the east . This coming season it's reversed .

We play Ottawa 3 games , Als 3 , and Toronto 4 games . With the west it's Peg 2 , Cal 2 , Esks 2 , Sask 1 , and BC 1 game .

Different scheduling for different times . :+1:

Pat Lynch (the old guy)

3 Likes

As much as we love you guys, playing each other 6 times, to include 2 in the pre season, is horrible.
We all agree right about now we will take any and all CFL games no matter how many times, but this is a ridiculous schedule all around.

1 Like

We'll be lucky if that Sept 1 Argo game is week 1.

4 Likes

I like the idea of more divisional games, tbh. Rivalries sell. Plus, maybe we won't get that dreadful crossover with more divisional games. I vote to keep it this way moving forward. Even if/when Halifax joins the League, I'd have teams play their divisional opponents three times and play six interdivisional games.

2 Likes

What would “your” schedule look like ?

Pat Lynch

I don’t want to speak for him, but I think his schedule would look like anything but playing the same team for 30% of the schedule (6 out of 20 games…not including playoffs…which could make it as much as 33% of the games)

2 Likes

What's the point of the no BC game?

First point: 2 of those 6 games are preseason games so complaining about that is typical for Argo fans who don’t go to the games anyways, I bet that game in TO will be mostly Ticat fans! :tiger:

Second point: Argos won’t make the playoffs. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

One thing I noticed is HAM doesn't play a divisional opponent after OCT 1

1 Like

Perhaps it’s because every year I make a post complaining that HAM always gets a 10:00pm ET start time in BC, while inevitably some of their earlier-starting home games are played against other opponents. The league could no longer stand the pressure of my ongoing disapproval.

6 Likes

Exactly.
Just like previous years, then when Halifax comes in straight forward home and away for 18 games.
I get this is all about money cost cutting and all, but it sucks.
Just like a baseball schedule same team for the weekend.

We only play Sask once , also . 4 fewer plane flights and fewer hotel days could be finance related as well as Covid related . Just seeing a schedule suggests that football is back and that’s good . :grinning:

Pat Lynch (the old Crash fan)

2 Likes

Simple math . . . each East Division team will play 8 games versus West Division teams. There are 5 teams in the West Division. This means that each East Division team plays 3 of the Western teams home&away, and then plays the remaining 2 teams once each.
I am assuming the identity of the teams that we only play once each season will change each year.

BTW it is a little more complicated from the western perspective.
If the CFL schedule includes 32 inter-divisional games, 32 / 5 = 6.4. So I believe 3 of the Western teams will play 6 games v. Eastern opponents, and the remaining 2 Western teams will play 7 games v. Eastern opponents. I haven’t gone any deeper than that, to figure out the detailed scheduling logistics.

This “unbalanced” schedule will mean that “Strength of Schedule” will become a real factor in playoff races, as it is in most other sports leagues.

This schedule will hopefully be a “one off” . If we’re back to normal in 2022 , then we’re probably back to the 10 game - 8 game format for east and west , as in the past . When you have a 15- 3 record , strength of schedule really doesn’t matter much in the Hammer .

Pat Lynch (football is back ! )

2 Likes

So is this a covid thing? Or a chance to move to a more unbalanced schedule?

Still not understanding the point.

My guess:

• Prompted by COVID as they looked for any way possible to cut costs in 2021.
  • Unbalanced aspect seen as neutral-to-positive side benefit, as it helps justify the current playoff format in the face of ongoing whining from some.
  • We are keeping it indefinitely. Because who will want to spend more money, even if the world should go back to normal in 2022 or 2023?
1 Like