2021 CFL Draft in the spring

They would arguably form one of the top Aussie/German kicking duos in CFL history.

3 Likes

Well if nothing else, theyā€™ll probably beat all the other kickers in the league in a drinking contest.

Ein Prosit.
Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oy oy oy!

4 Likes

In other news...

O'Leary: Weighing the Ticats' options with the No. 1 pick - CFL.ca

Ticats will probably pick another NFL bound player. Itā€™s always a safe bet to take an O-lineman, try to get 5 National starters and another 5 National backups.

1 Like

In 2013 the Cats took Gaydosh and Urban . Gaydosh was a NFL/CFL bust and Urban has had a solid NFL career .
In 2008 they took Sam Giguere who became a NFL\CFL bust as well .
The Cats tend to draft guys who want to play here . Going to an NFL mini-camp doesnā€™t affect most draftees returning for CFL training camps .

Pat Lynch (I love the CFL Draft)

2 Likes

A very good, informative report, with some video, on the final top 20 ranking for the CFL Draft a week from tonight. Happy to see that 50% of them are from Ontario, as I'm always encouraged, and hopeful of long careers in The Hammer, when the Cats draft players from close to here.

4 Likes
1 (2) Josh Palmer REC Tennessee Brampton, ON
2. (1) Alaric Jackson OL Iowa Windsor, ON
3. (5) Jevon Holland DB Oregon Coquitlam, BC
4. (4) Amen Ogbongbemiga LB Oklahoma State Calgary, AB
5. (3) Chuba Hubbard RB Oklahoma State Sherwood Park, AB
6. (11) Benjamin St-Juste DB Minnesota Montreal, QC

These 6 Canadians may never play in the CFL . If they're not drafted this Thursday - Saturday in the NFL Draft , they likely will be signed as free agents immediately after the draft.
This is the strongest group of Canadians that I can remember . Since the Cats have the # 1 and # 9 picks in the first round of the CFL Draft on May 4 , I'd bet that the last 14 on the Scouting Bureau Rankings are the pool to choose from .

I'm guessing Daniel Joseph DL N C State and a future* Liam Dobson OL Texas State who is returning for 2021 to the NCAA , will be our first rounders .
My mock drafts are usually way off the mark . :roll_eyes: So there's that .

Pat Lynch (I'm no Marshall Ferguson or Mel Kiper)

3 Likes

But then again, theyā€™re no ā€œold man from Section 7ā€ eitherā€¦ :wink:

3 Likes

You mean like Mark Chapman?

Well, youā€™re 50% in line with Marshall on your two picks, Pat.
A month ago, he predicted Joseph #1 and Syracuse OL Patrick Davis #9:

1 Like

Ouch!

The Ticats took an O-lineman in the first round in 2020 and in 2019. Safe bet another O-lineman

1 Like

It will be interesting this year because with two draft classes, they wonā€™t have the roster spots to keep all the rookies they want to keep and half of them or more canā€™t go back to play for their College teams. So a lot of players will be released and I suspect many teams will use their early picks on guys with NFL try-outs.

1 Like

Chapman didnā€™t play for anybody at all after training camp with the Broncos in 2018 . He was our first overall pick. Moe Petrus was our first in the 2nd round of the 2011 draft . He chose to work with his father-in - law in Hollywood rather than play pro football , anywhere . In 2 000 our 4th round pick was Joe McCullum OL Utah . He never showed up at camp and became a strength coach at UBC . Our weirdest pick was in the 6th round of the 2001 draft . We took QB Will Grant , the son of one of the owners of the Cats at that time . He never played a down .

So in 20 years , the Cats had a first rounder (Chapman) , a second rounder (Petrus) , and a 4th rounder ( McCullum) not show up to camp . We picked 140 players in 20 years and 3 didnā€™t show up and one Brent Urban ,has played in the NFL since his draft year 2013 .

Iā€™d say the Tiger-Cats donā€™t have to apologize for their draft record , especially in recent years with Burke and Allemang in charge . :slightly_smiling_face:

Pat Lynch (the old dude)

4 Likes

ā€¦and at least we didnā€™t draft a dead guy like the Montreal AllWets and Ottawa Renegades. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

https://www.nytimes.com/1996/03/15/sports/pro-football-canadian-team-drafts-dead-man.html

1 Like

This would be the year to go with some futures pick - guys who are planning on playing college ball again in 2021 or might have an NFL tryout as previously mentioned. Sage Doxtator would be a great choice with our extra pick in round 1 if available. Local guy from Welland and is heading back for one more year of NCAA ball. We may never see him but if his NFL hopes donā€™t pan out it never hurts to have a 6ā€™-7ā€ 350 pound tackle waiting in the wings.

1 Like

Thatā€™s probably the best way to spread your talent around without losing it.

1 Like

Letā€™s hope the league isnā€™t serious about dropping the ratio if they do go into some partnership with XFL. With an extra draft year and the quality of Canadian players in USports and getting scholarships in the US the talent level has never been better.

4 Likes

Here's some additional draft info. for NCAA Canadians :

|Sydney Brown|London, Ont.|DB|Illinois|
|Jevon Holland|Coquitlam, B.C.|S|Oregon|
|Chuba Hubbard|Sherwood Park, Alta.|RB|Oklahoma State|
|Alaric Jackson|Windsor, Ont.|OT|Iowa|
|Terrell Jana|Calgary, Alta.|LB|Oklahoma State|
|Jesse Luketa|Ottawa, Ont.|LB|Penn State|
|Amen Ogbongbemiga|Calgary, Alta.|LB|Oklahoma State|
|Josh Palmer|Brampton, Ont.|WR|Tennesse|
|Benjamin St-Juste|Montreal, Que.|CB|Minnesota|

Pat Lynch (the aged one)

2 Likes

The problem is not just the 7 starters but the fact they have to keep 21 Canadians on the roster. There are some good quality players, the problem is not enough.
The ratio means that most teams will snap up all the 300 pound O-linemen and stock up with 5 on the line and then the usual Canadian at safety and the one Canadian inside receiver.
With the demand for O-linemen, teams end up over paying them. The O-lineman usually make more money than the running back they are guarding.
I think they have to reduce the Canadian ratio, fewer kids in high school playing football, translates to fewer in the CIS and less choice for the CFL.
I couldnā€™t care less if the 5 O-linemen were Canadian or American.