2021 CFL Draft in the spring

You’re not the only one.

3 Likes

4 of 1st 19 picks I think.
Hopefully at 1 the team gets a cornerstone player. Our past history is not great with 1st overalls.

Right, and better than the last draft, when we had 4 picks in the first 27.
The way I see it ,the TiCats could have over 20 non-counter draft picks at their next training camp – 9 picks from 2020, 7 this year, 4 picks from '19 who are on the roster but haven’t played yet (DE Campbell, DE Dufault, OL Lawley & LS Whyte), and 2 more, in the same situation, picked in '18 (WR Davis & DL Van Pelt).

2 Likes

One downside to having so many non-counters is that just like you can’t see the forest for the trees, the coaches may overlook a talented player due to both the shortness of TC and the abundance of players to evaluate.

I guess we can only say “In Steinauer We Trust” and hope for the best. :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

It looks like the top 5 ranked plAyers for the 2021 CFL draft are all on the MEL's radar.
This will make the Ticats first overall pick a very tough one.
I see that Tennessee WR Josh Palmer is a bit undersized for the NFL and could get picked while Oklahoma Sam linebacker And Ogbongbemiga
Is a bit undersized as well . As an aside , I wonder if the Ticats will be able to bring back J'Gared Davis, Bralon Addison and Lirum H as they are all free agents after being released by the Ticats to pursue NFL opportunities.
Quite a host of talented players available in the 2021 CFL draft. Ticats draft #1, 9th, 18 and 19 which is pretty good . Below is the most recent player rankings

https://www.google.com/amp/s/3downnation.com/2020/10/08/2021-cfl-scouting-bureau-top-20-prospect-rankings-fall-edition/amp/

Palmer is 6’2 210lbs, about average size for an NFL reciever.

Ogbonbemgia is 6’1 235lbs, is perfect size for today’s 4-3 NFL linebacker. This position has gotten smaller the last couple years and the SAM linebacker is being replaced with a third safety/nickelback on most plays.

1 Like

"Based on my conversations with scouts, it is likely that between five and ten of the 25 players featured on the preliminary 3DownNation 2021 CFL draft rankings will opt out.

So, they are going more in line with the CFL SAM role? How interesting… lol

1 Like

I watched Oklahoma State yesterday. The young guy from Calgary , Amen Ogbongbemiga caused 3 fumbles from his linebacker spot . Sadly the offense , missing Chuba Hubbard , took too many questionable penalties which led to a loss .
Amen is eligible for the CFL and NFL drafts this spring . We may not see him north of the border .

Pat Lynch (the old person) * hopefully no feelings were hurt in this post.

1 Like

Josh Palmer accepted the invitation to this year’s Senior Bowl

A report of how the '21 CFL Draft may be more different than what we've been made aware of 'til now:

This will affect the later rounds more than the earlier as there will be fewer pro ready players still available > round 2 or 3. The CFL draft is always a crapshoot, but the talent pool will really suffer a hit after the cream is picked in earlier rounds.

On the plus side it does give some the opportunity to draft players who have an obvious NFL future and not consider it a wasted pick.

1 Like

In 1963 , the Als made 19 selections in a 20 round draft . The Cats made 7 picks , including 2 QBs : Ken Rysdale (Western) and Tom Skypeck (McGill) .
Over the years the draft has had various numbers of rounds . A team can choose not to make a pick in any round but recently the number of rounds has been set at 8 but 2021 will be 6 rounds .

Pat Lynch (the aged one)

1 Like

3 Down Nation listed 12 Canadian Seniors with pro possibilities playing in the NCAA this fall . 15 were drafted in 2020 . That would suggest that the majority of draft picks in 2021 will be from Canadian universities , again in 2021 .. That makes the CFL Combine even more important since there was no football played in Canada in 2020 .
Scouting will be stressed even more this year . :grinning:

Pat Lynch (older than dirt)

I just saw an NFL mock draft that had some NCAA Canadians as possible picks . CB Benjamin St.- Juste was the first to go , followed by WR Josh Palmer , OL Alaric Jackson , and RB Chuba Hubbard . LB Amen Ogbongbemiga was not taken in the mock but he may fall into the long list of signings after the draft .

Since the Cats have the 1st and 9th picks in round one of the CFL draft , Amen may answer the prayers of this fan to have a starting Canadian linebacker . I'd pick an OLineman with the other first rounder .

Pat Lynch (the old guy) * NFL Draft April 29 CFL Draft to follow (TBA)

2 Likes

Tuesday , May 4 is the date for the CFL Draft covered on TSN . There are 6 rounds with the Cats picking #1 , #9 , #18 , #19 , #36 , #37 and #54 .

Pat Lynch (loving this time of year)

1 Like

The CFL Global Draft is next Thursday , April 15 . The TiCats pick # 8 in the first round of another "snake draft" . There are four rounds with the Cats going #8 , #11 , #26 , and #29 .

Pat Lynch (the aged dude)

A couple of reads, here, about “going global” – The CFL not so much, and the NFL more:

https://footballscoop.com/news/a-look-at-the-nfls-plan-to-take-football-global/

1 Like

TiCat global picks were Punter Joel Whitford Wash. Huskies , Kicker Dominik Eberle Utah State , LB David Izinyon , and DL Chris Maluma from Colorado .
NCAA experience seems to have been helpful in our picks .

Pat Lynch (the aged one)

1 Like

Whitford from Australia and Eberle from Germany. Our kicking duo?