2021-22 NHL Season

I can't stand stand Mathews. The way the media strokes this guy all season is revolting. His face has to be everywhere. Billboards, commercials, t-shirts, mugs. Enough to make you sick. :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

At least Matthews didn’t win the “Most Likely to Lead Your Team to the Second Round of the Playoffs” award.

2 Likes

In line with my previous posts months ago, more proof that Paul Maurice didn’t resign but was actually fired. It looks like he will be the next Panthers coach. Only a couple of days ago it appeared that Andrew Brunette would be kept on after leading the Panthers to the President’s Trophy and being nominated for coach of the year. I guess they wanted someone who would not fail them in the playoffs, with Maurice being the logical choice having won, let me see, um, sorry, zero Cups.

[Panthers in process of hiring Maurice as head coach Florida Panthers Paul Maurice - TSN.ca](Panthers in process of hiring Maurice as head coach Florida Panthers Paul Maurice - TSN.ca)

1 Like

And the carousel continues. :ferris_wheel:

1 Like

So I was asking about this matter right before our site poll about Edmonton's GM Holland and what should happen to him when he's on the ice for any reason.

And here was this news.

Now I found it curious there was zero reaction of protest in contrast to what we would hear about Russian athletes in March.

I have no issue given this is a sporting matter and nothing more, and I think the general public got this one right not to notice at all.

Maybe some of the vocal folks ought to hold back on casting stones so quickly or casting any such stones at all.

1 Like

Unfortunately Barry Trotz has decided not to accept the Winnipeg Jets offer but rather to stay at home and deal with his family related issues next year while still being paid $4 million. I had speculated that Trotz was deciding between coaching the Jets and not at all, which it turns out appears to have been the case. Not great for Jets fans.

[Sources: Trotz decides not to return behind NHL bench right away Barry Trotz NHL coach - TSN.ca](Sources: Trotz decides not to return behind NHL bench right away Barry Trotz NHL coach - TSN.ca)

Also one less coaching job available as the Black Hawks have signed Luke Richardson. As a Jets fan that is fine as it doesn’t take anyone the Jets should be interested in off the market.

(Richardson to become new head coach of Blackhawks Luke Richardson Chicago Blackhawks - TSN.ca)

What is strange about this is why Trotz would go through the whole interview charade with the Jets if his plan all along was to stay home with family and collect his $4,000,000 check from the Islanders.

Something doesn't quite add up. :thinking:

1 Like

I don’t have the answer. It was always reported that he had family issues and that would effect his decision and that he might not coach at all. Maybe it’s that simple. Maybe we’ll find out more later. Jets are now doing 2nd interviews with other candidates. They need a coach by July 13th.

1 Like

Maybe he just needs some time off. Couldn't have been an easy thing with what was going on on the Island.
As for the family stuff - if you have the money, you can have the time to deal with it and get it taken care of. You never know - he may be available if things don't work out with whoever they hire.....

1 Like

(Panthers make a big bet on Maurice Travis Yost: Florida Panthers make a big bet on Paul Maurice - TSN.ca)

This article contains a graph on the effectiveness of coaches in both the playoffs and regular season. Not surprisingly Maurice is at the low end for coaches as “successful” as he has been, especially for the playoffs. It echoes my doubts as to why the Panthers hired him over a coach of the year candidate.

2 Likes

DaveTheHammer

1 Like

Garbage signing. Sweeney can't draft, can't sign decent UFAs, can't manage the Cap. He shouldn't be in charge of a Bruins rebuild. But, he's buds with Seabass, so gets to keep his job

1 Like

That's good for us "non" Bruins fans.

3 Likes

Yepper. Dark days ahead for the Bruins

1 Like

I would agree.

The article said that Bergeron’s status was still up in the air. I thought I read somewhere a few days ago that he decided to play next year. I thought you would probably know.

There is a principle of agreement. They just have to hammer out the finances. Move out some bad contracts like C. Smith, Foligno.

1 Like

Although the season is now over, there was Hall of Fame activity today. This year’s class was named. All good candidates although I am surprised that Monkey Zetterberg didn’t get in on his first try. The article below summarizes the new inductees and speculates on the 2023 class.

(Possible candidates for the 2023 HHOF class Possible candidates for the 2023 Hockey Hall of Fame class - TSN.ca)

2 Likes

I still get a laugh out of the 2015 draft when the Bruins had the 13th, 14th and 15th overall picks. They took Zboril, DeBrusk and Senyshyn and two of them ended up being busts. They actually passed over Mathew Barzal, Kyle Conner and Brock Boeser. Imagine if Sweeney picked those guys instead?

2 Likes

We'd won the Cup in '19 and contend for a few years more

1 Like

A fairly big move for the Kings that I’m sure @Krisiun will like.

(Kings acquire Fiala, sign him to eight-year deal Los Angeles Kings Minnesota Wild Kevin Fiala Brock Faber - TSN.ca)

2 Likes