2021-22 NHL Season

Barry Trotz has been fired. I consider him to be one of the very best coaches ever. I am hoping that Chevy has the foresight to bring him to Winnipeg.

[Islanders fire head coach Trotz New York Islanders Barry Trotz - TSN.ca](Islanders fire head coach Trotz New York Islanders Barry Trotz - TSN.ca)

4 Likes

Ultra dumb move by my Islanders . They will 100% live to regret this poor decision by upper management . Trotz has a proven track record as well as a Stanley Cup ring on his resume . When you have a genuine diamond in the rough like a Trotz you definitely should never toss it aside like some cheap fugazi .

4 Likes

Vancouver seems hesitant to bring back Boudreau.

1 Like

Totally agree. I am hoping that the Islanders stupidity is the Jets good fortune.

1 Like

I am not sure why. He almost saved their season.

3 Likes

I agree. Boudreau went 32-15-10 (.649) in 57 games with the Canucks. The players obviously bought in to his system.

1 Like

Team President Jim Rutherford said the Boudreau would be welcome back under the already agreed to Contract
They had the 2023 season as options for both the Team and the Coach
The Contract was a 1+1 with that 2nd year available to both the team and the Coach

2 Likes

"After firing Barry Trotz, NYI GM Lou Lamoriello said the "decision was not primarily made on this season." The Islanders just missed the Playoffs for the 1st time in his 4 seasons, so what was it based on?"

:lying_face:

1 Like

No kidding. He took a team that had no business being there to two straight conference finals. This year they opened with 13 road games and many players missing games due to Covid. They never had a chance. We’ll take Trotz in Winnipeg and then our coach will be better than whomever NY hires. I think Lou needs to retire.

3 Likes

With such heartfelt Islanders memories of yore as you express with your understandable sorrows, may I offer you a string quartet to assist sir? Plus a fiddler.

Okay boys, how about you all go ahead and start with "The Way We Were" ... :woozy_face: :crazy_face: :laughing:

1 Like

Looks like you're not the only one with that idea. Trotz is from Dauphin, Manitoba so it would be a bit of a homecoming for him.

4 Likes

The Leafs could pursue Trotz once the Leafs are out of the first round as they clean house. Or Montreal could hire him if the Habs decide to move from Martin St Louis as coach.

Let's just say Trotz won't stay unemployed for long

4 Likes

It’s official. Boudreau staying with Canucks. Smart move for them. Good for Jets in that one less potential suitor for Trotz.

[Boudreau to return as Canucks head coach Bruce Boudreau Vancouver Canucks head coach - TSN.ca](Boudreau to return as Canucks head coach Bruce Boudreau Vancouver Canucks head coach - TSN.ca)

3 Likes

Another excellent coach has been fired, this time in Vegas. De Boer faced a lot of adversity this year and I am a little surprised he was let go. Vegas has to be considered a leading contender in the Trotz sweepstakes should they be interested.

[Golden Knights fire head coach DeBoer Peter DeBoer fired Vegas Golden Knights - TSN.ca](Golden Knights fire head coach DeBoer Peter DeBoer fired Vegas Golden Knights - TSN.ca)

On another front, the Islanders have promoted assistant coach Lane Lambert. Little experience and I don’t see how their coaching situation is now better. Seems to me that GM Lou wants a yes man. Perhaps Trotz refused to be one. As I said before, Lou needs to retire.

[Lambert named Islanders head coach New York Islanders name Lane Lambert head coach Barry Trotz Lou Lamoriello - TSN.ca](Lambert named Islanders head coach New York Islanders name Lane Lambert head coach Barry Trotz Lou Lamoriello - TSN.ca)

1 Like

As a fan I am only mildly surprised. I would not know many of the inside particulars, but the melt-down of the Golden Knights in the final run to try to make the playoffs is enough for me to go with those who probably know far better on this decision.

I have no doubt that most of the locals support this decision too.

I pretty much agree with what Jon is saying here but we'll have to see what bobo thinks of this hire since he's the Islanders expert here.

Lambert will basically continue with the same system the players are already familiar with since he was Trotz's assistant for so many years. That leads to speculation that Lou had a problem with Trotz himself. I heard a rumour that Trotz did not get along with Barzal. Might be something to it. It wouldn't be the 1st time a star player was involved in a coach's firing.

1 Like

Yes let’s see what BoBo says. Hadn’t heard about Trotz not getting along with Barzal but that would be logical. After a fantastic rookie season Barzal has regressed considerably.

There is quite a few articles online about the potential rift between Trotz and Barzal. I only heard about it recently myself.

2 Likes

How would Kyper know what is going on in Long Island. He's a Leaf scribe. I would take this with a boulder of salt. I can understand if it was a Islander writer that reported it.

A couple of years ago, Kyper got his Twitter account hacked during the last lockout. Which is why his handle is RealKyper

Well it's not just Kypreos. If you google "Trotz vs Barzal" you will get a bunch of websites reporting the same thing. I actually heard about it while watching a YouTube video about the recent coach firings.