2021-08-07 Game Tracker - Ottawa Redblacks vs. Edmonton Elks (6137)

I agree the music city fraud was clearly a forward pass the one last night looked fine .

1 Like

I want to see Edmonton play a couple more games. Ottawa’s offensive line can’t be a proper measuring stick.

Best defence? Giving up 430+ yds is not exceptional. Of the 8 teams the most impressive defensive performance IMO is the job Winnipeg did on Hamilton. The TiCat depth chart showed 11 OL dressed & they used 7 to try to slow down Wpg, even 8 once, I believe. And the Bombers still got through. Betting on underdogs early in the season is usually a good bet. The underdogs went 4-0 vs the spread & 3-1 straight up this week. Ottawa did what it had to & Kanneh was a game changer. But the best defence? Elks have to prove they’re not a paper tiger. Bombers beat a club almost every scribe sees as GC champion & held them to 6 pts. BTW I’m not a Bomber fan.

No argument there.

I would not say that Ottawa has the best defense. Full credit for some very timely plays and passing gut check time BIG time, but over 400 yards allowed was about as ‘bend-but-don’t-break’ as it gets. It’s also the kind of performance that is too delicate to repeat consistently. Again full marks to Redblacks D for keeping that house of cards standing for the full 60 minutes, quite remarkable for sure, but it was still a house of cards.

On the other side of the field Edmonton’s D was total shut down. Now no one expected Ottawa with a nicked QB and a bunch of no-name rookies and a brand new playbook to light it up, but it is extremely difficult to hold even the worst CFL teams under 100 net offense. 5 sacks. 9 offensive points. Those are truly insane numbers.

And as mentioned above, Winnipeg’s total handing of an offensive power like Hamilton says tons. They shut them down for 55 minutes.

Those are clearly the top 2 defensive performances. Ottawa might rank 3rd but it would be a fairly distant 3rd.

Disappointing start to the Elks Era. Hopefully the Offence can improve over the coming weeks. One CFL Preview I saw on a Discussion Group had the Elks winning the Grey Cup - I hope they are right!