2020 Season: Doesn't sound too promising

Here's an update from CBC.ca about what kind of season Randy & the boys in the band are plotting . . . .
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/cfl-eyes-september-return-1.5577178

Actually, I thought there was some promise in what he said. It looks as if we will have roughly half a season, depending on what happens with players needing to cross the border, which I expect will happen.

I think they need to explain what the plan is for the fans and social distancing. If they don't have a plan, there will be no large gatherings without a vaccine. I guess they can't disclose this because it may send negative waves, most fans will say just cancel the season, and that's when the financial disaster may hit. I believe by them postponing the season it's a glimmer of hope. I really really want there to be a season. I do have my fingers crossed.

1 Like

We'll - they'll certainly be trying to coax season ticket holders and those with deposits on 2020 season tix or regular tickets, drinking booths, special hosts, etc. to forego their refunds for at least a year, in hopes of defraying team losses. The ticket/event holders will instead receive credit for future purchases with said team(s).

1 Like

Yes, they do need to figure that out. I'm betting it comes down to face masks being mandatory, and no beverages that can't be sipped through a straw.

1 Like

Although there's little form chart or playbook in a pandemic intersecting professional sports my experience with greedy leagues & greedy owners is that they'll initially buckle up for zero paid attendance, relying on TV & incidental sponsorship revenues (stadium naming, field ads, other advertising, etc.). This is called "GETTING YOUR FOOT IN THE DOOR".
Once games are underway they'll be pelting medical & political authorities with dogged requests for limited attendance based on aspects of social distancing. Then, if there's no rebound of the Covid - they'll go to 50%, then 75%, then full houses (if there's such a thing in the CFL other than Regina & Hamilton)

1 Like

Assuming that the season starts September 1 and finishes up mid December, this would be a 12-14 game season.

Better than nothing I suppose.

The silver lining is that teams may be more inclined to play their starters if it means they get to host the Grey Cup. This may lead to an exciting finish to the regular season if they play

1 Like

what actually is your experience that you speak of.

Assuming the teams would be able to forego rent & salary obligations under pandemic conditions I wonder what the 2 spreadsheets show.

Spreadsheet 1 - Cancelling season, no rents, no salaries
Spreadsheet 2 - 12 team season with pro-rated salaries, full TV revenues, full playoffs, hopefully last couple games of season and playoffs can be played before sellout crowds, too!

If the spreadsheets indicate losses would be within 5 or 10% of shuttering down season entirely then what is the main reason to launch a stump season?

[quote="Lyle_B_Style, post:7, topic:67681"]
...eld ads, other advertising, etc.). This is called "GETTING YOUR FOOT IN THE DOOR".Once games are underway they'll be pelting medical & political authorities with dogged requests for limited attendance based on aspects of social distancing. Then, if there's no rebound of the Covid - they'll go to 50%, then 75%, then full houses (if there's such a thing in the CFL other than Regina & Hamilton)
[/quote
It is like any business, they want to go forward and make money. The question is how much of a loss are they willing to accept with the shortened season. Will the players be ok with the cut in salary, staff and administration?

1 Like

Entertainment of CFL Fans and possibly more revenue from advertisers and merchandise would be a couple of reasons ,including building the brand rather than having young people forget about the CFL.....

1 Like

They can't forego salaries for most of their players

Those credits are better include a heavy loyalty discount and not the other way around with also any given hidden back door fees.

The idea of the best team on the season hosting the Grey Cup is exciting and fresh. This is the kind of thing that defines the CFL: It's our game and we'll do whatever we want.

I hope this comes to pass this year and I think it will make for an incredibly exciting playoff for one city at least!

1 Like

The USA/CAN border is closed until at least June 21st, if it is extended another month after that, then the earliest the American players can come to Canada is July 21st.
A 2 week isolation period will then be served taking us to 1st week of August.
A 3 week training camp would take us to a Labour Day opening for the season.
It is all riding on financing from the Government, without it, there is nothing

This is why I said it doesn't sound promising. They are trying to keep our hopes up. I am not sure how the US can open up everything when they are worse off than us wrt to Covid. College football has the go ahead, look at those crowds!!

1 Like

Border is still open for some "essential" business travel ... would depend entirely if the Gov't decided to categorize CFL players travel as essential (and get US agreement to allow them to return ... for players who get cut) ... it would have to come with some sort of quarantine ... if they CFL went Hub city then perhaps travel could be coordinated to bring groups of players across at the same time (regardless of teams).

1 Like

You forget how sooner then the anticipated start up with the CFL, other leagues likely first involving NHL hockey resumption then also MLB, NBA and MLS and since that involves the two countries, athletes will be going back and forth.
So there is precedent for the CFL American athletes to be "allowed".

1 Like

College football has the go-ahead with much to figure out including the 800lb gorilla in the room - risk of litigation. Many parents now are second-guessing the value of paying for their adult child's education given the risk. It is not and will not be as easy as the announcement makes it sound along with the mindless young male rah-rah.

And as this is a male-dominated forum, this is an example of yet another instance where the moms will have the final say and that is often an overlooked reality on such matters.