2020 Schedule

Oh ya. I get wat u r saying and I agree with u a million percent.
I was just adding on that moving the season up by a month has been a topic of discussion.
& it certainly is NOT feasable option to me so. Hopefully the powers to be have put that to rest.

10th team would certainly eliminate 3 bye weeks.
Thursday nite games. Not a big fan of from the player & extra bye week perception.

The schedule is kinda in reverse in the logic.
Networks do influence the schedule.
So if TSN thinks NFL sundays are a factor.
Why are they not playing sunday games until the start of september at least.
Thursday night games TSN dashed wen sept NFL Thur nite games begin.
So i dont for the life of me understsnd anything as it pertains to CFL thur nite football.

Now CFL Friday nite football game of the week is great. No need for Thur nites at all.
What is funny to me is the NFL picked thur nite football over Friday nite football.
Due to the Friday Night Lights US HS popularity. Lol.

CFL didn’t have too many night games on Sat going up against the NHL, a few but not many.

And if the Sundays were all playoffs that’s not a fair fight.

In most major sports the TV networks call the scheduling shots, baseball, basketball, hockey all for sure.

Fox buries MLB playoff games on Fox sports 1, NBC makes NFL fans sit outside in sub zero temperatures at midnight, ESPN makes NBA playoff games start at 11:15pm ET on a Saturday night when they had no other games scheduled.

We should be happy a network cares enough about the CFL to want to show games at a certain time.

CTV doesn’t want to put the CFL against its other huge property, the NFL, and frankly I can’t blame them for that. They’ve paid for that right.

If you think the CFL should call the shots on scheduling and make the network (s) work around that, I have one rebuttal to that.

Ok boomer

If TSN had any kind of brains at all. Scrap the CFL Thur Nite games. & have a Thursday night USports National game of the week.
Students are on campus. And there are Regional in conference Rivalries. Like Mac & Western. Laval & Montreal. Off the top of my head.

Oh I get it. Going up against NHL HNIC. is an obvioos during NHL season.
But some of the other choices we discussed are a point of major discussion among CFL Fans.

I checked the schedule to answer my own question about the Sunday CFL games last year.

Yes, four weeks had Sunday games.
Touchdown Atlantic was the only regular season Sunday game.
All other Sunday games were the playoff weekends.

Not exactly a great measure of the success of CFL Sunday games in terms of scheduling imo.

In the five weeks of overlap between the CFL and NHL seasons, the CFL had seven games up against HNIC broadcasts, with five of those competing against Leafs games.

Were the ratings for those games significantly less than the ratings the league used to get going against the NFL on Sundays? I’m not sure, but it didn’t seem to be the death knell that some suggest.

Over the years, many posters also complained about having Sunday games because they went up against the NFL, but the numbers always showed strong ratings anyways.

Personally, I prefer afternoon games during the fall, either Saturday or Sunday, but I’m not sure the scheduling has as huge an effect on ratings and attendance as posters here contend. I also don’t like triple headers much because ideally I’d like to watch every CFL game but nine hours of it in one day is just too much for me.

In the end, the league will have to balance the revenues it receives from TSN against the revenues it receives from attendance and corporate sponsorships when deciding on its schedule.

Yeah, it would be unbelievably brainy to replace a product that gets good ratings with one that hasn’t had any network interested in it for years, and that in most locations can’t get more than a couple thousand people to attend in person. Can’t believe TSN hasn’t thought of this already!

The point is if the Sunday ratings are on par or close to the alternate slot that TSN wants then TSN is going to get what they want.

People on this forum aren’t the demographic. We’d watch the games if they were at 4am.

Here is the 2020 schedule

Glad to see a Thanksgiving Day match back . . . and only one Saturday triple header.

Also, it looks like the Argos CNE game will be against the Ticats . . . could be their largest gate in a long while with that combo.

1 and only 1 Sunday game, a Labour day BB @ Riders, that is ridiculous!
No question in my mind it is completely driven by TSN, protecting the No Funners in the fall leaving the sched open for viewership.
The triple header down to 1 is a good thing.

Looking at an Argos perspective.

No Thursday night games. 3 Fridays and 8 Saturdays.

For not having a Thursday game, the Riders won’t visit next year. They will play them Saturday July 25 at a neutral site game. Likely Touchdown Atlantic.

Good to see a Thanksgiving game back on the schedule. Argos @ Als on Oct 12.

Happy to see the return of the Thanksgiving game and only one Super Saturday. Not so happy for everything else.

I guess the season starts one week sooner to do the Vanier Cup the same weekend of the Grey Cup.

The season does not start a week sooner, Lucas.

Last regular season started June 13,2019.

The 2020 regular season will start June 11,2020. Difference of 2 days, instead of 1, because 29 days in February 2020.

Richard

It’s true. I forgot about the leap year. I checked the Grey Cup weekend, wich is not the last of november as it’s usually the case .

Happy to see league schedule and can’t wait for draft and training camps to start.

However, I agree with above.

I still don’t understand why they don’t have MTL and OTT play on Labour Day Friday. They can swap back and forth on hosting years.

Very happy to see the triple headers reduced.

Concerned about when the season starts. Start of training camp will occur in the heart of NHL/NBA playoffs. Even if NHL finishes a week before, CFL kickoff will have muted attention. Concerned for ratings going up against HNIC 1-2 games per week during NHL season as well.

there are multiple occasions of back to back games pre-empting each other. In particular there are multiple friday night back to back where the time between the 2 games is only 2.5 hours.

Hoping for 10th team soon. Can’t stand these 3 bye weeks. Although by sounds of Ambroise, it may only be reduced by 1. I think one mid season bye week around labour day is all that is needed.

Also, wonder where the neutral site game will be played. Moncton/Halifax etc…

Very good idea. Perhaps an October/early November game in Mexico?

Lot’s of missed opportunities with double headers on Friday nights when the weather has turned in September and October .

No need for that and you are able to get more advertisers dollars out of the BC games on Sunday afternoon .

Probably even end Friday night football altogether after thanksgiving weekend .

Wasted dollars 10 pm in the fall .

Some of those games should have been shifted to Sunday afternoon .

Wasted advertising income especially surrendering Sunday afternoons entirely to the NFL .

A regular 4:30 pm EST Sunday game from weekend of Labour Day on would be an asset . A second game 1pm EST after thanksgiving when the Friday night football ends .

That will give you a 1:30 pm start in BC and give you a Sunday game for your CFL fans .

Plus it gets the fan a regular Sunday CFL time to mimic the November Playoff bonanza .