AUGUST NEWS & NOTES
Normally we would be ankle deep in recruitment news and the various additions to exhibition schedules would be flowing at this time of the year. Instead we are witnessing recruitment news and a heavier than usual flow of players from university to pro.
The obvious reason for this state of affairs is the virus thing you may have heard about. So let's start there, because that affects when we will next see live hockey, then move into other news and notes.
The MJHL is getting prepped for a full season, with an exhibition season in September and a regular season in October. The linked story has the highlights of the plan, and has a link to a 14 page PDF document with all the details covering every minute detail down to travel, meals, and hotels. This sort of guideline is likely very close to what USports teams will need to implement.
Also, former Bison all-star forward Kevin Saurette (an MBA) is now the MJHL Commissioner, taking over from Kim Davis.
➤ MJHL: MJHL announces return to hockey for 2020-21
➤ Pembina Valley On-line: Sportsbeat - MJHL Commissioner Kevin Saurette (audio)
➤ Game On: Davis Retires, Saurette to Be New Commissioner of the MJHL
➤ Leah Hextall at Global: Hextall on Hockey: the MJHL’s new commissioner
The Monkeys are back after the world's shortest ever hiatus. They announced a bow-out due to lack of funds, but some organ-grinding by a monkey in a mask must be capable of raising money. I linked official and unofficial stories. None had a scoop on the dynamics that led to their change of heart. The original announcement was based upon funding shortfalls, rather than health concerns. SportsNet's story (from the CP) seemed like a scoop in the headline but really wasn't. Anyhow, the Monkeys found enough bananas.
➤ UofA: Golden Bears and Pandas 2020-21 Season Update
➤ CBC: Finances force University of Alberta to suspend operation of 6 teams for upcoming season
➤ UofA: Bears and Pandas Hockey teams reinstated by Canada West for 2020-21 season
➤ Canada West: Alberta reinstated as Canada West hockey member
➤ SportsNet: Alumni money restores University of Alberta hockey teams for next season
➤ Edmonton Sun: MODDEJONGE: University of Alberta players, coaches see hope as season again a possibility for hockey Bears, Pandas : RP @ Ottawa Sun & Chronicle-Herald
In the Town of Bedrock they have announced a solid set of recruits, and a former Dino evolved into a Duck. The eight announced new recruits are also listed at Elite Prospects and are:
- Arjun Atwal (F) from Sherwood Park Crusaders (AJHL)
- Luke Coleman (F) from Lethbridge Pronghorns (CWUAA)
- Connor Gutenberg (F) from Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL)
- Dakota Krebs (D) from Calgary Hitmen (WHL)
- Max Patterson (F) from Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL)
- Matt Quigley (D) from Portland Winterhawks (WHL)
- Ryan Schoettler (D) from Prince George Cougars (WHL)
- Zach Wytinck (D) from Regina Pats (WHL)
Coleman is a transfer from the now-defunct Horny Ones. He is a 2nd year player, coming off a 12-8-20 stats line in 28 games last year. He played his junior for the Calgary Hitmen. So 7-out-of-8 were from the WHL.
Dino grad Kodie Curran has signed an NHL deal. He finished a 5-year career in 2014-15 then was a late-season depth player for Hartford in the AHL. He then split a season between the AHL and ECHL before a 4-year stint in Scandinavia, with one season in Denmark, one in Norway, and two in Sweden. He will be turning 31 during the season, so this is the ultimate late-bloomer scenario. Why would the Ducks gamble on him? He was the Swedish league MVP last year!
➤ UofC: Meet the Recruits
➤ Elite Prospects: UofC Transactions
➤ UofC: Curran signs with NHL's Anaheim Ducks
➤ Elite Prospects: Kodie Curran Career Stats
➤ OC Register: Ducks sign defenseman Kodie Curran to 2-year, $2-million contract
➤ Chronicle-Herald: Calgary-raised defencemen knocking on NHL’s door after award-winning seasons
➤ ESPN: Defenseman Kodie Curran signs 2-year deal with Anaheim Ducks
➤ SportsNet: Ducks sign SHL MVP Kodie Curran to two-year contract
➤ NHL: Curran, SHL MVP, signs two-year contract with Ducks
The Bluegars have announced five recruits, one NCAA transfer and four WHL grads:
- Rylan Yaremko (D) from Northern Michigan Univ. (NCAA)
- Dom Schmiemann (D) from Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL)
- Lane Gilliss (F) from Portland Winterhawks (WHL)
- Riley Sawchuk (F) from Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)
- Kyle Olson (F) from Calgary Hitmen (WHL)
➤ MRU: MHKY: 2020-21 recruiting class
➤ Elite Prospects: MRU Transactions
The Banjo-Cats have a diverse recuiting list so far. Two Horny Ones transferring in, another transfer from the ACAC, and two recruits from each of the SJHL and WHL. The four new defencemen should help shore up their traditional weakness. Of course, depending who comes back.
- Austin Pratt (F) from Regina Pats (WHL)
- Dylan McCabe (D) from Battlefords North Stars (SJHL)
- Jeff Rayman (D) from Lethbridge Pronghorns (CWUAA)
- Taylor Fisher (D) from Lethbridge Pronghorns (CWUAA)
- Carson Sass (D) from Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL)
- Jayden Davis (F) from Estevan Bruins (SJHL)
- Travis Mayan (F) from Alberta-Augustana Vikings (ACAC)
➤ UofR: Men's hockey announces addition of seven players
➤ Elite Prospects: UofR Transactions
After a shocking playoff run which earned them a berth in the U-Cup, followed by a cancellation on the eve of their first game, it looks like the new T-irds will not likely adequately replace the departed. They have two transfers from Lethbridge, just one recruit from the WHL, and four Junior A grads from three different leagues.
- Conner McDonald (D) from Kelowna Rockets (WHL)
- Logan Foster (F) from Humboldt Broncos (SJHL)
- Tian Rask (F) from Melfort Mustangs (SJHL)
- Michael Clarke (F) from Lethbridge Pronghorns (CWUAA)
- Jackson Caller (D) from Vernon Vipers (BCJHL)
- Dorrin Luding (G) from Winkler Flyers (MJHL)
- Dan Gatenby (D) from Lethbridge Pronghorns (CWUAA)
➤ UBC: T-Birds add to strong recruit class
➤ Elite Prospects: UBC Transactions
➤ Vernon Morningstar: Vernon Vipers blueliner signs Canadian university deal
➤ Discover Humboldt: LISTEN PODCAST: Michael Clarke Joins UBC After Lethbridge Hockey Program Cancellation
The Banjo-Mutts have yet to announce recruits, but they have a slightly new set of logos. Their miscellaneous logos got the hind leg treatment. Should somebody tell them that the singular of "Huskies" is "Husky"?
They have not issued an official announcement on recruits, but Elite Prospects has compiled a list of four names, all of whom have an affinity for fire hydrants:
- Jaxan Kaluski (F) from Swift Current Broncos (WHL)
- Parker Gavlas (D) from Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL)
- Ty Prefontaine (D) from Lethbridge Hurricanes (WHL)
- Dawson Holt (F) from Vernon Vipers (BCJHL)
➤ UofS: Huskie Athletics unveils updated logos
➤ Elite Prospects: UofS Transactions
The Holy Trinity have no official announcement but Elite Prospects has compiled a list:
- Jake Jurgeneit (D) from Yarmouth Mariners (MJAHL)
- Travis Walton (F) from Nanaimo Clippers (BCJHL)
- Jeremy Klessens (F) from Drayton Valley Thunder (AJHL)
- Josh Boelema (F) from Briercrest College (ACAC)
- Landon Fuller (D) from Vernon Vipers (BCJHL)
- Connor Vermeulen (D) from Carnduff Red Devils (BSHL SrAA)
It is odd that those six players finished in last year in five different leagues.
➤ Elite Prospects: BCIHL Transactions
➤ Vernon Morningstar: Vernon Vipers blueliner signs Canadian university deal
The Griffins also have had no official announcement and only two names appear on Elite Prospects:
- Ryan Winter (G) from Merritt Centennials (BCJHL)
- Shawn Parkinson (G) from Melfort Mustangs (SJHL)
➤ GMU: Griffins hockey teams look back fondly on ACAC tenure as they prepare to move into Canada West
➤ Elite Prospects: GMU ACAC Page