2018 Draft

Great read here on the TiCats scouting,
The combine in WPG tomorrow will be an important day.

Marshall Ferguson
(@TSN_Marsh)

McMaster REC Dan Petermann won the 40 yard dash in 4.54s today. Ties him for 7th all-time @CFL combines with Anthony Parker (Calgary 2011) Israel Bamba (Sherbrooke 2012) and Steven Turner (Bishop's 2010) #CFLCombine #CFL

6foot, 200lbs, From Stoney Creek

GREAT READ ON HIM HERE
www.cfl.ca/2018/03/24/p…

Hey Grover , you might want to re-post that link . It comes up “page not found” .

Thanks bobo, here it is

He checks of a lot of boxes

REC - check
NAT - check
LOCAL - check
BIG - check
FAST - check

Petermann had a team-best 61 catches for 831 yards and nine touchdowns. Danny Vandervoort, the No. 3 pick in last year’s CFL draft, was right behind him with 39 catches for 664 yards.
Last year, Petermann led McMaster again, with 36 catches for 517 yards and two touchdowns.

Yup . All boxes certainly checked for sure . I would love to see us somehow draft both Petermann and Chapman to upgrade our rather pathetic and shallow depth and talent level at the Canadian Receiving position . I’m certainly no fan of either Aprile or Jones as both have proven over and over again that they are not reliable or should even be close to being considered starting material on this team.

Aprile has been here 4 years now and has spent more time on the IL then on the active roster . When he has had the opportunity to start he has shown time and time again that he has a pair of boards for hands . Total games played with team ( 27 over 4 seasons ) Total games missed on IL ( 45 over 4 seasons) . Total receptions in career here ( 3 receptions for 24 yards ) . I will be personally shocked if Aprile somehow makes it through final cuts this year at TC and actually makes this team this year .

As for Jones , it seems like for every pass he catches he drops three more . He’s certainly not as pathetic as Aprile but he certainly isn’t starting material either . Let’s be honest here , there is no way that Jones would be starting on any of the other teams in the league except for maybe Mtl and even then that would be a big maybe .

Petermann having a phenomenal Combine! :slight_smile:

also
G Onyeka doing well, I see Austin/Tillman as interested observers.

More on the Combine here

and here

I think we take G Onyeka at #2, and the best available receiver and OL at 10 and 11. This draft is laden with OL talent, so waiting until round 2 to take an OL will still result in us getting a quality blocker.

Based on what I've read, and the combine testing/video, Onyeka looks like another Courtney Stephen/Davis Sanchez ratio-changing DB. I believe Steinauer will recognize this, and lobby for us to take him at #2.

If the Als take Onyeka at #1, I think we take Chapman, the best receiver in the draft, at #2 instead.

Or maybe we get both Onyeka and Chapman if we flip Johnny Football's rights to the Als for the #1 pick? (which I think is a strong possibility).

Or maybe we get both Onyeka and Chapman if we flip Johnny Football's rights to the Als for the #1 pick? (which I think is a strong possibility).
MTL's 2018 1st and their 2019 1st if he signs. ;)

Two fullbacks at the combine, does anyone think that one of them will replace Prime.

That’s a definite possibility for sure . Another option I’m thinking as a replacement for Prime is that they might convert Timmis over to the fullback position using him as a hybrid Running back slash Fullback depending on what formation and set that the offence is in . Timmis while he is lighter and smaller in size (6’ 2" 220 ) then Prime (6’ 1" 255 ) is still big enough to be converted over especially if he adds on an additional 10 to 15 lbs on his frame .

It sure seems like Kavis Reed has his eyes on Chapman at #1 overall.
Thats fine, Godfrey Onyeka at #2 would be an awesome pick and then a REC at #10 or #11

No matter what, by all accounts, this is a very strong draft year and with 5 picks in the top 20 we are situated in a great position!!

TiCats have picks #2, #10, #11, #15, #20 & #28.

Reed has been on the road lately, travelling to Central Michigan and Bowling Green for the pro days of top Canadian prospects, most notably receiver Mark Chapman and offensive lineman Ryan Hunter.

Chapman doubled down on impressing Reed. The Chippewas leading pass catcher in 2017 during his senior season with 59 receptions and 875 yards while reaching the end zone five times put on a show at the University of Winnipeg Sunday.

He had an extremely, extremely good pro day. We expected him to do well,? Reed said. “He’s polished as a route runner, confident in his hands, he tracks the ball exceptionally well, very explosive individual. He’s making a very strong case for himself. Everyone that we’ve spoken to – met his mom and dad – there’s just a tremendous pedigree there and tremendous young man. As he’s described himself an old spirit, the maturity is there.?
Chapman was uncoverable in one-on-ones and he knows bilingual skills could benefit him if he went to La Belle Province.

Another Hamilton native other than Petermann that had a good combine is DB Isaiah Guzylak-Messam from Wilfrid Laurier.

DB Isaiah Guzylak-Messam, Wilfrid Laurier
Running a great 40-yard dash (4.60) and showing well in the one-on-ones, Guzylak-Messam showed scouts that he has to potential to be a starting safety in the CFL. The only thing that may prevent Guzylak-Messam from rising more is the overall quality of this year’s class of defensive backs, which many scouts consider the deepest in years.

6' 2", 205 lbs, went to Sir Allan MacNab, played for the Hamilton Hurricanes

It's all up to these guys now

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/978270216709988354/C9o-2jhx?format=jpg&name=600x314

Love these picks from this mock draft!

The post-combine 2018 CFL mock draft

2. Hamilton Tiger-Cats — DB Godrey Onyeka, Wilfrid Laurier
The Ticats add a national defensive back who closely resembles former second-round pick Courtney Stephen in frame (6-foot-2, 200 pounds) and ability to play safety, cornerback, and special teams. The Ticats need to add to the offensive line, but the club’s insane number of selections (five in the draft’s first 20) will allow them to address that need later on.

10. Hamilton Tiger-Cats — REC Daniel Petermann, McMaster
The Ticats missed out on McMaster’s Danny Vandervoort one year ago and they won’t let another local pass catcher get away. Petermann is the fastest receiver available in this year’s draft class and the Tabbies are hungry for some national depth at receiver.

11. Hamilton Tiger-Cats — DL Julien Laurent, Georgia State
Hamilton adds the top interior defensive lineman in the class to a unit that already includes all-star Ted Laurent (no relation) and second-year man Justin Vaughn. Laurent is seen by many scouts as a starter in no more than one or two years down the road.

15. Hamilton Tiger-Cats — RB David Mackie, Western
A smooth pass-catching fullback, Mackie will contribute on offence with the Ticats after a season or two on special teams. Mackie is also an excellent long snapper, a role the Ticats need filled.

20. Hamilton Tiger-Cats — OL Arnaud Gendron-Dumouchel, Montreal
You can’t teach size and Gendron-Dumouchel has that in spades (6-foot-9, 310 pounds). He lacks polish at the moment, but with above-average athleticism for a big man, the Tabbies will be able to bring him along slowly.

draft is 4 weeks today! 8)

Will the 2018 draft be on May 1st? I thought it was to be May 3rd,hence in 30 days.

Richard

You are correct Richard,
The draft is May 3rd(I got caught on the old Apr.3rd to May3rd trick :-[) and I believe the 18 day Training Camp starts May 20th

The top right quarter = size and speed for DB's

G. Onyeka and Guzylak - Messam are picks of the litter

Grover: what do you think we need more, a good Canadian DB (Onyeka, Guzylak-Messam, Bennett) or a good Canadian receiver (Chapman, Petermann, Cibasu, Dubois)?

IMHO, Our DB's were probably the weakest part of our team for most of last season.
Fortunately with 5 of the first 20 picks in the draft we can address both positions!

Here is the latest rankings, just came out today
Everyone on your list but Dubois is in our wheel house

We get 5 picks off this list! ;D

[tr][td]RANK[/td]
[td]NAME[/td]
[td]POSITION[/td]
[td]SCHOOL[/td]
[td]HOMETOWN[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]1 (3)[/td]
[td]Ryan Hunter[/td]
[td]OL[/td]
[td]Bowling Green[/td]
[td]North Bay, ON[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]2 (10)[/td]
[td]Mark Chapman[/td]
[td]REC[/td]
[td]Central Michigan[/td]
[td]Port Huron, Michigan[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]3 (11)[/td]
[td]Dakoda Shepley[/td]
[td]OL[/td]
[td]UBC[/td]
[td]Windsor, ON[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]4 (2)[/td]
[td]Trey Rutherford[/td]
[td]OL[/td]
[td]Connecticut[/td]
[td]Markham, ON[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]5 (1)[/td]
[td]David Knevel[/td]
[td]OL[/td]
[td]Nebraska[/td]
[td]Brantford, ON[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]6 (12)[/td]
[td]Mark Korte[/td]
[td]OL[/td]
[td]Alberta[/td]
[td]Spruce Grove, AB[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]7 (4)[/td]
[td]Peter Godber[/td]
[td]OL[/td]
[td]Rice[/td]
[td]Toronto, ON[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]8 (5)[/td]
[td]Julien Laurent[/td]
[td]DL[/td]
[td]Georgia State[/td]
[td]Toronto, ON[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]9 (7)[/td]
[td]Rashaun Simonise[/td]
[td]REC[/td]
[td]Okanagan (CJFL)[/td]
[td]Vancouver, BC[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]10 (6)[/td]
[td]Godfrey Onyeka[/td]
[td]DB[/td]
[td]Laurier[/td]
[td]Brampton, ON[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]11 (13)[/td]
[td]Jackson Bennett[/td]
[td]DB[/td]
[td]Ottawa[/td]
[td]Cumberland, ON[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]12 (15)[/td]
[td]Andrew Pickett[/td]
[td]OL[/td]
[td]Guelph[/td]
[td]Kitchener, ON[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]13 (18[/td]
[td]Ryan Sceviour[/td]
[td]OL[/td]
[td]Calgary[/td]
[td]Calgary, AB[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]14 (9)[/td]
[td]Darius Ciraco[/td]
[td]OL[/td]
[td]Calgary[/td]
[td]Burlington, ON[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]15 (8[/td]
[td]Régis Cibasu[/td]
[td]REC[/td]
[td]Montreal[/td]
[td]Kinshasa, Congo[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]16 (-)[/td]
[td]Bo Banner[/td]
[td]DL[/td]
[td]Central Washington[/td]
[td]Bellingham, WA[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]17 (-)[/td]
[td]Daniel Petermann[/td]
[td]REC[/td]
[td]McMaster[/td]
[td]Stoney Creek, ON[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]18 (-)[/td]
[td]David Mackie[/td]
[td]RB[/td]
[td]Western[/td]
[td]Jackson’s Point, ON[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]19 (-)[/td]
[td]Micah Teitz[/td]
[td]LB[/td]
[td]Calgary[/td]
[td]Calgary, AB[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]20 (-)[/td]
[td]Isaiah Guzylak-Messam[/td]
[td]DB[/td]
[td]Laurier[/td]
[td]Hamilton, ON[/td]
[/tr]

If Montreal goes Chapman then i say take your favourite Ontario born OLineman 2nd. There is a bunch of them.
Decent chanceOnyeka is still available with our next pick.