2018 Draft

Well... After today we've got 4 picks in the first 15 and 5 in the first 20.

(2,10 (ZC),11,15 (chick),20)

Current draft rankings (from someone i suppose) here:2018 CFL Draft - Wikipedia

Any CIS/NCAA fans out there have a wishlist?

I believe we Pick 2, 10,11, 15, 20, 28, 56, 62 and 66.
Grover had posted an awesome draft eligibleplayer ranking previously that i couldn't locate. It showed if i remember correctly an abnormal amount of local talent available at the top of the draft.

It's great to have so many draft picks, but I would have to assume that we are willing to trade some of them for proven players. There's only so many Cdn rookies we can absorb in a single season. But we have gaps in other areas where veterans would help us immediately.

A good interview, by Rick Zamperin, with Kent Austin, might suggest the opposite, at least the way I hear it. At the 1:45 mark, Kent talks of “now holding 4 of the top 15 picks in the May draft and possibly more.” What are the likely ways they could “possibly get more top 15 picks?”

1. Trade the rights to Manziel, this week, or sign him this week and trade him, with that contract, later.

2. Trade some number of the 5 later (#'s 20 thru 66) round picks they hold for another single pick in the top 15?

Other than those two scenarios, I can’t imagine who the Cats might trade that would bring them another top 15 pick.

I also must say I was impressed with Austin’s positive, informative, tone and demeanour in handling Zamperin’s questions, while sounding like a traditional “GM” rather than a coach.

https://omny.fm/shows/bill-kelly-show/ti-cats-fans-are-angry-after-team-traded-qb-zach-c

When CHTV interviewed Austin about the draft a few days ago, he said they would use their picks to build up Canadian depth at a few key positions. Would those positions would be OL, DL, receiver and DB? What do you think?

Also, does anyone know if there are any potential immediate starters availablein thetop 12 picks?Specifically, an OL who can start at tackle for us?

We pick 5 out of this group
The latest December rankings(#'s in brackets were from September rankings)
[tr][td]WINTER SCOUTING BUREAU RANKINGS[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]Rank[/td]
[td]Name[/td]
[td]Position[/td]
[td]School[/td]
[td]Hometown[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]1 (1)[/td]
[td]David Knevel[/td]
[td]OL[/td]
[td]Nebraska[/td]
[td]Brampton, Ont.[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]2 (2)[/td]
[td]Trey Rutherford[/td]
[td]OL[/td]
[td]Connecticut[/td]
[td]Markham, Ont.[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]3 (3)[/td]
[td]Ryan Hunter[/td]
[td]OL[/td]
[td]Bowling Green[/td]
[td]North Bay, Ont.[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]4 (6)[/td]
[td]Peter Godber[/td]
[td]OL[/td]
[td]Rice[/td]
[td]Toronto[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]5 (10)[/td]
[td]Julien Laurent[/td]
[td]DL[/td]
[td]Georgia State[/td]
[td]Toronto[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]6 (4)[/td]
[td]Godfrey Onyeka[/td]
[td]DB[/td]
[td]Laurier[/td]
[td]Brampton, Ont.[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]7 (12)[/td]
[td]Rashaun Simonise[/td]
[td]REC[/td]
[td]Calgary/Okanagan[/td]
[td]Vancouver, B.C.[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]8 (9)[/td]
[td]Regis Cibasu[/td]
[td]REC[/td]
[td]Montreal[/td]
[td]Kinshasa, Congo[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]9 (5)[/td]
[td]Darius Ciraco[/td]
[td]OL[/td]
[td]Calgary[/td]
[td]Burlington, Ont.[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]10 (-)[/td]
[td]Mark Chapman[/td]
[td]REC[/td]
[td]Central Michigan[/td]
[td]Port Huron, Mich.[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]11 (14)[/td]
[td]Dakoda Shepley[/td]
[td]OL[/td]
[td]UBC[/td]
[td]Windsor, Ont.[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]12 (-)[/td]
[td]Mark Korte[/td]
[td]OL[/td]
[td]Alberta[/td]
[td]Spruce Grove, Alta.[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]13 (19)[/td]
[td]Jackson Bennett[/td]
[td]DB[/td]
[td]Ottawa[/td]
[td]Cumberland, Ont.[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]14 (8)[/td]
[td]Kene Onyeka[/td]
[td]DL[/td]
[td]Carleton[/td]
[td]Brampton, Ont.[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]15 (13)[/td]
[td]Andrew Pickett[/td]
[td]OL[/td]
[td]Guelph[/td]
[td]Kitchener, Ont.[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]16 (15)[/td]
[td]Alex Taylor[/td]
[td]RB[/td]
[td]Western[/td]
[td]Winnipeg, Man.[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]17 (20)[/td]
[td]Nelkas Kwemo[/td]
[td]LB[/td]
[td]Queen’s[/td]
[td]Montreal, Que.[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]18 (16)[/td]
[td]Ryan Sceviour[/td]
[td]OL[/td]
[td]Calgary[/td]
[td]Calgary, Alta.[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]19 (11)[/td]
[td]Chris Amoah[/td]
[td]RB[/td]
[td]Laval[/td]
[td]Montreal, Que.[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]20 (-)[/td]
[td]David Brown[/td]
[td]OL[/td]
[td]Western[/td]
[td]London, Ont.[/td]
[/tr]

New Canadian Mark Chapman chipping way up CFL draft boards
Posted onMarch 17, 2018byJustin Dunk

Mark Chapman had all 32 NFL and three CFL teams at his Central Michigan pro day and the receiver could be one of the top picks in this year’s draft.
The Alouettes, Ticats and Riders sent scouts to watch Chapman work out in Mount Pleasant, MI. Chapman was timed in the 4.50-4.60 range in the 40, short shuttle 4.30, three-cone 7.07, 60-yard shuttle 11.64, leapt 35.5 inches on the vertical, 10-foot, six-inch broad jump and pumped out 14 reps of 225 pounds on the bench.
Chapman went through the process of getting paperwork in order last fall – his mom was born in Canada – and now has dual citizenship, meaning he can play in the CFL as a national. That designation and Chapman’s talent could move him into first-round territory in the CFL draft.
“Productive, good route runner who separates on film,? one CFL scout said. “He has the potential to be the best receiver in the 2018 class.?
“Chapman plays fast on film and keeps his top end speed throughout games,? another personnel man added.
Chapman led Central Michigan University with 59 receptions and 875 yards while reaching the end zone five times in 13 games during his senior season.
More here

Hamilton is in a nice situation but the CFL draft is tricky. Hamilton has to draft at least half of these picks as “futures.” Most of the time these guys never end up playing in the CFL or get here after a serious injury or sitting for years.

Also first rounders have been demanding six figure salaries the last few years. No team can spend 400k on draft pick.

Although these things are rarely accurate and usually not even close to panning out to what does happen nevertheless here is the first of what will most likely be several mock drafts that will be prognosticated before the actual draft takes place . Take it for what it’s worth , Marshall Ferguson is predicting that the Cats will be drafting Mark Chapman with their first pick (2nd over-all) in this years draft .

Just as a side note I sure hope that his parents didn’t give him David as his 2nd name . :o

So anyways according to this Mock Draft this is who Ferguson is predicting we’ll draft with our first five picks :

Round 1 (2nd pick) Mark Chapman - wr
Round 2 (10th pick) Ryan Hunter - ol
Round 2 (11th pick) Nelkas Kwemo - lb
Round 2 (15th pick) Sean Harrington - lb
Round 3 (20th pick) Alex Taylor -rb

Here is his entire Mock Draft for the first three rounds :

[b]https://www.cfl.ca/2018/03/15/mock-1-0-will-alouettes-take-first/[/b]

I can see us bundling 2 of 10, 11, 15 to move up to select
GODFREY ONYEKA

This is where Austin, Tillman, Shaun Burke and especially Dir.of Can. Scouting Drew Allemang really earn their $$$

This Chapman seems to have an almost identical granite like build in stature as another former wide receiver draftee we had name of Sam Giguere . I'm hoping that we can draft and hopefully sign this guy .

With the status of Fantuz unknown the ONLY Canadian receiver we have right now on the roster that is halfway decent is Chambers . As for the rest of the them ? Aprile ? Jones ? well as the saying goes....if you can't say something nice about somebody then the less said the better . As for the other 3 Canucks listed on the roster ? Lussier is only heading into his 2nd season with the club and was rarely(if at all) used last year and Scarfone and Haynes (especially) are both unproven raw rookies (although Scarfone did attend TC last year before heading back to school for his final season). No doubt about it on the subject if there is one area where we definitely and desperately need an upgrade on this team its at the Canadian WR position .

https://i0.wp.com/3downnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Chapman.jpg?resize=300%2C225

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/UWLJxutLk.SzGUPPgAA2aQ--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9NjMwO2g9NDQ0O2lsPXBsYW5l/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptcacflexperts/Giguere.jpg

"Obie botched the draft" threads seem so long ago.

10 years. Time flies.

I would love to see the Cats draft this fella

Godfrey Onyeka

DB | Laurier
Onyeka is a long defensive back capable of rotating down to acting as a linebacker but also capable of running with your team’s best receiver. He arguably has the most well-rounded skill set of all the defensive backs in 2018’s draft as Onyeka is just as likely to light up a ball carrier, sky to knock away a pass or get involved in the run game. Part of the reason he remains a first round discussion point.

Comparison: Taylor Loffler (2016 UBC)

I'd like to see the cats go afterGodfrey Onyeka db from Laurier
and Mark Chapman from Central Michigan
and then the best OLINEMAN available

Interesting . The Mock Draft that I posted earlier in this thread has Onyeka being selected 6th over-all in the 1rst round by the Eskimos . So looking at this more closely we can take a risk and hope that somehow he slips through the cracks and is still available when we draft 10th or 11th . Another option as “blackngold” says is trade up with a bundle of 2 of our 10th, 11th or 15th round picks . The beauty of this years draft is that we basically own it and control it with 5 of the first 20 selections . Buckle your seat-belts as they say because this 2018 draft is going to be a very interesting ride indeed. I can literally see the phone lines lighting up in the Ti-Cat War room big time with offers and trade options coming in galore from the 8 other GM’s with our treasure trough of Draft selections in the top 20 in what looks to be a bumper crop of talent available this year . ;D 8)

You guys made me feel old with that comment lmao … How things have changed around here

We should make a killing in this draft if we play it right, tons of talent at the top. Gimme one of the linemen, gimme Oneyka and either Cibasu (NFL interest) or Simonise and I’ll be happy.

Some other guys on rankings I wouldn’t mind is Jackson Bennett, Kene Oneyka, Ryan Pickett, Nelkas Kwemo … crazy amount of talent coming out this year. Also whoever ends up with Alex Taylor will be getting an absolute gem, I wouldn’t be mad at all if we went that route he could be around for 5-7 years easy, but I’ve got a feeling the Bombers will snap him up to replace their hometown boy Andrew Harris with another hometown boy.

I hope we can come away with both Onyeka brothers. Godfrey looks so versatile and Kene has a high motor.