“Big Plays? down to 5.37/gm from 5.51

Pass Eff down to 90.4 from 95.7

Avg Start Position down to 35.6 yd line from 36.1

1 pt converts up to 93.0% from 89.9

2 pt converts down to 51.1% from 57.8

FG % up to 88.3% from 84.0

Kick Ret TD’s down to 15 from 16

Blocked Kicks down to 11 from 19

Team win record when leading after 3rd qtr: 62-17 (62/16 in 2017)

Games decided in last 3 min: 48 (47 in 2017)

CFL coaches challenges down to 71 (0.88/gm) from 127 (1.57/gm)
BUT
Avg game time went up to 2:51 from 2:50

Brian Desjarlais?
[ltr]@UncleBD[/ltr]

Thanks Grover. Thanks these are really interesting.

I assume that all kicks ( punts, converts, kick offs) are counted in the “total plays/game” category. Is that correct? Are plays counted that include a penalty. For instance if a team was called for illegal motion and the play was negated does it count towards the total plays/game?

I hope the powers-that-be don’t decide this means defences are gaining on offences. When they believe that, they have been known to change the rules of the game to tilt the advantage back to offences, with sometimes-bizarre effects such as defenders getting penalized when receivers run right into them.

I wonder if some of the year-over-year differences can be explained by changes to the challenge rules. In general, fewer challenges probably meant fewer big offensive plays, and of course, we did not see as many Alberta Fishing Expeditions for illegal contact.

I believe that all kicks are indeed counted.

Despite the offensive stats being a tiny bit down I found this year very entertaining. Several close games, even the two teams that didn’t get results were usually in their matches.

Great thread.

I think a significant part of these mainly decreases was that D is not being as grotescly abused and handicapped with brutal fishing ability. The mid 2017 changes reflected the stats in the backend of that season as well. You really see it in the passing yards. The rules fundamentally changed the game, and the benchmark of 300 yards passing was a joke, and really was 350 or 360 for a while.

The rushing is cyclical. Teams had been going to shifty and fast RBs, and OLBs and even some MLBs were getting smaller and faster to counter that suddenly a big back like Powell can take advantage. It goes back and forth, and you want to be against the grain rushing.

I wonder if some of the big weather delays were a factor in game time? I know not all of that counts on it, but some would impact it. There were a few last year.

I also think run time was effected by the league granting permission for a couple halftime shows

I can confirm that all kicking plays are counted as plays in the CFL.
If the only thing that happens on a play is a pre-snap penalty then it also counts as a play.

CFL Game Tracker also assigns plays to notes such as:
End of quarter
End of game
Timeouts
Injuries
Weather Delays
Etc.
These additional plays that appear on Game Tracker are NOT included in the official CFL stats packages which are distributed after each game.

Delays for weather, player safety (injuries) and extended half time shows are not included in game time if the delay was for 2 minutes or longer. These adjustments are noted in the official CFL stats packages.

I’d love to see the number of offensive snaps per game, removing from consideration all kicks and anything else that amounts to a non-play. Anyone have that info?