N - LB - Chevrier, Randy
N - DB - Hecht, Jeff
N - LS - Hus, Jorgen
N - DB - Lue, Andrew
N - LB - Roy, Bryn
N - RB - Walter, Matt
N - - Webster, Matt
N - LB - Ainsworth, Dylan

DB Buddy Jackson, RB Matt Walter and FB Bryn Roy were all officially released today as well.

A bit surprised by Jackson getting released as he was solid in there when he was in. I think that his replacements once injured started really stepping up and are going to be way cheaper, so it was a decision that had to be made.

Walter was easily passed. Shame he didn't work but I still liked the pickup. What are the odds they would land a younger better National RB mid-season.

Here is a link to all CFL free agents

http://www.cfl.ca/fa17/

SASKATCHEWAN ROUGHRIDERS
PLAYER
Ainsworth, Dylan
LB
National
Released (01/27/17)
Alexandre, Gregory
DL
National

Bates, Phil
WR
International

Brown, Ivan
DL
National
Extended (02/01/17)
Chambers, Shamawd
WR
National
Released (01/27/17)
Chevrier, Randy
LB
National

Coleman, Thaddeus
OL
International

Foster, Otha
DB
International
Released (01/27/17) (NFL)
Fuller, Jeff
WR
International

Gale, Mitchell
QB
International
Released (01/27/17)
Hecht, Jeff
DB
National

Hus, Jorgen
LS
National

Irvin, Corvey
DL
International

Jackson, Buddy
DB
International
Released (12/01/16)
Jefferson, Willie
DL
International
Extended (01/20/17)
Knox Jr., Jeff
LB
International
Released (01/14/17)
Lue, Andrew
DB
National

Roy, Bryn
LB
National

Steele, Curtis
RB
International
Released (01/27/17)
Walter, Matt
RB
National
Released (12/01/16)
Webster, Matt
DB
National

Williams, Jonathan
DL
International

looks like Jones is not to interested in the rest, still a few worth it on this list, like Matt Webster… oh right he was pre Jones

Make a pitch for Khalil Bass or....?

Bass is a very good player…but likely pass

IMO LBs were the most strongly contested battle in training camp last season at WIL and Knox (who is great) was not a gimme) legitimately had to battle for the spot. They also found Eguavoen…who looks like he might turn out to be even better. Some of the guys that didn’t make it probably could have…so I see no reason that they should not be able to recruit just as well for this camp and develop behind Eguavoen. Korey Jones is also able to move to WIL and do well as well plus they have Grondin…who I think can take a few reps there as a NI.

Bass played almost all MLB last season if I am recalling correctly (and is also a little small for that spot)…but did play WIL in the past and did well. The Riders do not need to chase a MLB with free agency money…they have Muamba and Greg Jones…who I can see moving off the team at some point this year…he is solid there but a it slow and unless they can find a way to get him on the field more (because of Muamba) then they can’t afford to keep his elevated salary on the sideline.

Now if he can play SAM…absolutely. Foster is gone for at minimum half the season…perhaps for good. I haven’t watched him enough to say if he can play SAM but I think he is probably a just a hair too slow to excel there…big reason DBs are often moved to the spot is they are a little lighter and faster…seeing as they do a lot of coverage.

As for replacing Foster…big shoes to fill…but I can see Kacy Rodgers being a strong option there. He played DB and as very good at the position with amazing technique but might be a bit slow for it…but ideal for WIL. Hunter played some WIL last year I believe.

Bass (along with the release of Sholo) might end up being a casualty of the Bombers picking up Tristan Okpalaugo…which was a massive signing for them at DE…huge. Bass should get some CFL attention and may even give the NFL a spin. No knock on the guy and I would be happy if he was signed but IMO there are more pressing areas to spend FA dollars.

Things I think will be interesting to watch…
Shakir Bell (RB with the Esks)…almost a a given he will be a Rider or an Argo…it just makes sense because those are the teams that he has the best chance of being a feature back…Redblacks might kick the tires but lightly…my bet is Rider…

Alan-Michael Cash…Montreal DT…solid DT…don’t really see them biffing on him but if it stays reasonable…sure…he is a good DT and durable.

Derek Dennis (LT with the Stamps)…probably the best OLman in the league last season…he has indicated on Twitter he is going to look to get paid in free agency so it is likely expensive to get him…like 200k expensive for an import. I question if they will pay that but it is a lock on a huge need so they might. typically I would say guys like Huf, Wally, Jones won’t make him a top paid import lineman…Jones might bend on that rule for him this year.

Redblacks are supposedly at stalemate status with most of their guys they want…so that is very interesting.
J’MichaelDeane is the guy I would want…NI LG and solid. not sure if he can play another spot (LaBatte) but if he can I would be all over him and he would be a focal point of free agency for me.

Kienan LaFrance as a NI RB would be nice…but I have heard he is officially unofficially officially not but maybe a Bomber…but tampering doesn’t happen…so who knows.

I gave some more thoughts on it here:

[url=http://forums.cfl.ca/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=103209]viewtopic.php?f=7&t=103209[/url]

Great insite depop.... RB Shakir Bell a Rider. Ideal to get Dennis as well.

Very intrigued offer on the table for Big OL Michael Deane.

yeah…heard he is looking at 2 offers but apparently leaning green. He was one of the key guys i wanted them to go after…so here is hoping.

Nolan MacMillan ended up re-signing last minute when he looked all but hitting free agency…basically played hardball right to the deadline then signed.

As for Dennis…the other on the OL I was high on…speculation is he will either be a Rider or an Argo right now. If the money is comparable I am sure Toronto has appeal because of cities…but not knowing who your coach is is pretty fricken big,

Dennis is a Rider

Pleasantly shocked. I was hoping but didn't think it would happen dollars and cents wise

Surprised, shocked OL Derek Dennis in green is huge.

So was Ainsworth and he extended him last year…let him go after concerns with a tub season. So was Knox and he kept him on as a starter. So was LaBatte and even though he missed the season he extended him. So was Roosevelt and he is extended. He brought Newman back. He brought Fulton back. He extended Bagg. He kept Webster around for a year because he thought he might ork in his plans…he didn’t. hell…he had to bring in other players mid-season to fill the role. Jones is not letting guys go because they are not his…he is letting them go because he either doesn’t like the pricepoint enough or they don’t fit the vision…but I guess some people feel he should fall in line with Chamblin’s vision. I for one am glad he does not.

further…Jones has an established track record of releasing players he doesn’t want around so that they can get a jump towards free agency…ever think that maybe they just couldn’t get on the same page either in terms or vision or that maybe it was Webster who wanted a change…perhaps not feeling the role he was growing into with the club?