2017 Discussion

Cannot imagine renewal is going well for 2017, given how 2016 has gone. And yes, the roadwork issues over the next few years aren’t going to help people reach games (though there should still be metro access, yeah?).

I think many of you guys are under estimating the impact of JC hiring as HC.
First for the exposure he will give to the team in the media.
Second for the cleanup he already started on the team's roster.

I agree, but still needs to develop or find a QB.

The value of the cleanup is completely disputable. Cutting Stafford is fine; cutting Carter is not IMO. Nor is yanking Cato after two losses in which Chapdelaine's game plan was as much at fault as Cato's own struggles.

Id do what i can to keep Jovon around. Although hes 32 he showed no signs of slowing down. Can still bring alot to the table and is a great teacher for the younger guys. He took Mincy and Henderson under his wing, not many bright spots this year but those 3 guys are.

Johnson has earned the right to stick around, agreed. Same for Lewis IMO. Both guys have gone through walls this year in horrendous conditions.

While today`s events seem to point to the Wetenhalls moving forward with Chapdelaine, it will be interesting to see if that changes should Milanovich be fired by the Argos. Although the league seems to have caught up with his Wet Toast offense.

Yeah let’s hire the only HC worse than Jim LOL

Its one thing not to have a QB, its another to have 3 and keep the wrong one. I don’t ever want to see Milanovich coach in Montreal again.

Would or should Paul LaPolice be considered?

Winnipeg’s turnaround is not due to LaPolice. The Bomber’s offensive numbers are actually comparable to the Als. (not a compliment) The only thing a CFL team would want from Winnipeg is how their defense is able to create so many turnovers. Are the Bombers able to defend a play so well because they know exactly what is coming???

Nope. Johnny would prefer Chapdelaine over LaPolice.

[i]Or what about Milanovich’s mentor?

If the Wetenhalls have, as suggested chosen Chappy for next year; does it mean they were already turned down by Trestman?

Johnny finds it hard to believe they would not even call him to inquire about his interest.[/i]

The reaction of the media and fans (francophone) of the team made that choice for the owners already.

I find very little difference in the experience, style between both but one is local and will cost probably half what the other would.

The little extra brilliance if there is any by choosing Trestman over Chappy is not worth the extra 300k of a rebuilding team.

Make no mistake, it will take two to three years to fix this assuming the Als find a hard working, motivated GM.

I don’t believe for one minute Bob views his team as an “investment” at least not a financial one.

Time for Wettenhal to let go of his toy.

Can the Wetenhalls hire a new GM and stay out of the football ops ??? Doubt it.

Ideally, I would want the team to fire Popp, hire a new GM, and clean house.

But if the choice is between Trestman and Chapdelaine, I choose Trestman without even thinking about it. Trestman has a far more accomplished resume than Chap, he’s won Grey Cups as a head coach, has extensive head coaching experience at the pro level (CFL and NFL combined), and he’s probably the best person suited to oversee Anthony Calvillo (assuming AC stays in the nominal OC role).

Now having said that, I’m not actually a fan of bringing Trestman back at all. Don’t get the band back together; it’s never the same the second time around. Let’s move forward.

As for the Ws, just the fact that Jim has never selected a head coach on his own speaks volumes about their inability to stay out of football ops. Where else does the GM not choose his own head coach except Montreal?

Here’s the problem: If the Wetenhalls continue to be meddling owners with a track record of making poorly thought out decisions, how many qualified GM candidates will be interested in the job? (And as we all know, the list of candidates is tiny.)

They’ll end up hiring a “yes man”, and continue to push their investment toy off a cliff.

If in fact the family considers their investment in the franchise chump change - then the pain of franchise failure will be felt only by long suffering fans, and the rest of the league.

Yup, you’re probably right.

However, the new owners of Toronto Argonauts are quite possibly contemplating a management / coaching overhaul as well. Given his age, Trestman might be near the end of his sideline coaching days. His rolodex contacts on both sides of the border is extensive (CFL, NCAA and NFL).

It wouldn’t surprise me to see the Argos take a run at Trestman for GM, with the full authority to put together his own new coaching staff.

A few comments.

Ownership: The Wetenhalls ,particularly Andrew, will continue to be involved. They, as they have done in the past, will decide who the next Head Coach will be. I have no problems with their involvements.

Jim Popp: I still think that he will return, although, as I wrote yesterday, his authority may or even will be reduced. Mr. Wetenhall won't pay $$$ half a million for nothing by releasing/firing him. The Head Coach will decide which players will be on his team. Jim won't be able to spend money as freely as before; he will have to consult Andrew. The days of 3 Int. WR's- S.J.,Duron and Kenny- making roughly $630,000 a year are gone. Joey Abrams will be more involved in re-signings of players. Unless they have long term contracts, I don't expect Justin Casey, Senior Personnel Consultant,Salary Cap Analyst and Russ Lande,Director of College Scouting, to return/ be offered new contracts. Jim Popp is in the final year of his contract and it won't be renewed, as least I doubt it.

Head Coach: I definitely expect and I hope that the Head Coach is/will remain Jacques Chapdelaine. I definitely don't want coacs such as Trestman, Milanovich, Brady, LaPolice and on and on. Jacques will decide who will be on his staff.

Richard