2016 Schedule

The wait is over, here it is....The Official 2016 CFL schedule :rockin: :rockin:

http://www.cfl.ca/schedule/

Interesting note:

The shortest BMO Field turnaround: #Argos play July 25 & #TFC six days later. Average turnaround between games: Seven days.
[url=https://twitter.com/TSNScianitti/status/700382500586184705]https://twitter.com/TSNScianitti/status ... 0586184705[/url]

Meaning all of your home games are before the big chill hits the city. As a fan, I’d be counting my blessings.

Grrrrrrrrr....... stupid new site....... where is the damn ical file to import into my calendar!!!!

One way to look at it, I guess. Also, the bye week splits the four consecutive road games. Still gonna suck spending that much time on the road, and at the most important time of the season too.

The TFC fans got their way. A LOT of lousy days for the Argos. That's a shame. :thdn:

Can’t blame TFC , the TV people got what they wanted , LDC in Hamilton starts at 6:30 pm (prime time) and the Thursday/Wedensday /Monday games benefit Bell /TSN as well… carrot for buying the Argos no doubt… , also no games in Toronto during the World Cup of Hockey , smart move . So lots to think about this year especially in Toronto , next year should be better .
I did not look how Argo’s line up against BJ’s schedule , would be interesting to know .

I sit near to Trevor. He’s been wrangling this thing for months: Making sure venues are available, our broadcast partners (TSN/RDS) are happy, teams keep competitive balance… The spreadsheet and calculations he worked with were fascinating. I don’t feel like they went into enough detail about the things he had to take into account here. :slight_smile:

Meet Trevor Hardy, the Guy Who Makes the CFL Schedule | VICE Sports

Long gone are the days of papers covered in requests, scattered across the boardroom table at league headquarters. Instead, Trevor Hardy, the CFL's director of operations, begins the nearly five-month process with a handy excel spreadsheet and a math optimization program he created. The ultimate goal is to build a competitively balanced schedule that creates the best possible product on the field.

Sounds easy, right? It’s not.

The daunting task requires Hardy to take into consideration the stadium availability for each team, special date requests, broadcast availability, protecting signature games and much more, all while keeping the best interest of players and their safety in mind.

“On September 30th, I send out an email to our clubs with an excel spreadsheet attached to it, asking them when their stadiums are available,” said Hardy.

“For each week, tell me what dates you can’t play, tell me which dates you prefer not to play and for all the ones you would like to play, tell me what your preferences are.”

He laughed when asked about how that plan usually works out.

“The joke around the office is you know you’ve done a good job with the schedule when everybody is unhappy. When everybody’s got the same level of unhappiness.”

Once he has each party’s requests, he plugs the data into his self-created mathematical optimization program and begins to lay the building blocks of the schedule. The program creates thousands of variations before he narrows it down to roughly 200 versions that have the best chance of passing. After each one is analyzed, teams will likely see four or five different templates before the schedule is finalized.

“I’m proud to say that the [2016] schedule is the most competitively balanced schedule we’ve had in probably a dozen years,” he said.

June 23 – they are off
July 13 – all-star break
July 25 – they are home
Aug 12 – they are home
Aug. 20 – they are on the road
Aug 31 – they are on the road
Sept 11 – they are home
Oct 10 – MLB postseason
Oct 15 – MLB postseason

What days would you have preferred for the Argo games? Sounds like you going to blame the Boogeyman regardless of what dates they had.

And is a Wednesday night game really that much worse than a Thursday night game?

No doubt these “lousy days” will become a convenient excuse for the less than expected crowds at BMO.

Hey, I wasn’t out to single you out. I just read a lot of comments along the lines of “quit screwing around!” and such. Do people really think the league just sits on the schedule to piss us all off?

Truth is, maybe there WAS a good excuse why it was a few days later than usual in some past years. We don’t know.

But now that it’s out, people can turn to complain about how they got screwed in scheduling instead. :wink:

I see lots of double entries

One game that really stands out is the Argos/TiCats LDC in The Big Stink - - how did that seem like a good idea?

TiCat fans are usually drunk for the 1pm kickoff - - by 6:30pm they’ll be completely bombed. Evidently they ignore the fact that Labour Day is for workers - - not unemployeds.

Well, I didn’t get the Thanksgiving rivalry games I had asked for / discussed, but Ottawa @ Montreal on Labour day weekend is back !

Overall, a step in the right direction, but I’m still underwhelmed. Missed opportunity, imo

I don’t know about others, but I don’t mind going in to work a little tired/hungover on the occasional Friday. Thursday, not so much.

Edmonton fans might disagree. :lol:

Hamilton goes 5 week without a home game :thdn:

July 7th - Aug 20th.
Disgraceful

Same as Edmonton. Four games with a bye week in-between.

I'll say what I say every year: CFL needs a new schedule maker!

I don't see the benefit of the BMO move for the Argos in this schedule. Sure Wednesday/Thursday Night games might do OK on TV, but not a good move for fans in seats, especially if looking to bring in families. We will have to see how it plays out.
As an overall football fan, I personally do not like weekday games. I am traditional, and feel football is more of a weekend event. Perhaps they view this will not bother the Toronto crowd.