2016 Offseason Discussion

I do think Hurl might be an exception from the 'Duds List'. He's a serviceable back-up MLB and special teamer with lots of CFL experience (Wpg & Sask'n). . . . but if he's asking $120k, well - hit the road jack!

Against road-grader olines Hurl is usually the first casualty as he's too easily steered aside or squashed. At $80 to $85k he's very serviceable, especially for his wealth of experience and he doesn't get injured as much as most.

Pee Neufeld, Richards, Bryant (if he's looking for $200k), etc. would be ridiculous hires. There's enough embarrassment in the organization re: bringing in Neufeld and drafting Jade Etienne's successor (Richards). Don't need more! :cowboy:

I just came off the main page and looking at what is going on in Toronto, Saskatchewan ect.... Man its nice to finally have the the Bombers right out of all the off season disaster discussion. Say what you want,there is a lot to be said for continuity.

Some bomber fans might actually be cheerin’ for the Argo franchise to be suspended a year - thus moving the bombers back into the East; where they’d be instant contenders, obviously a bit better than either Montreal or Hamilton - and now having to only confront Ottawa for the Eastern Grey Cup berth - and an Ottawa squad without Smilin’ Hank! :cowboy:

True words ! :thup:

…That’s a fact…We’ve had our fair share of ‘’‘let’s say controversy and negativity about our club in recent years, and it seems now we can take solace in the fact it has died orrrr at least greatly subsided…Other clubs (argos ,riders) seemed to have replaced us in the ‘train wreck’ category…Hopefully we are on our way to some success…could be a great deal of success…Looking forward to a very good 17’ season :thup: :thup: GoBigBlue

…Keith Shologan released along with Pascal Lochard today…Wasn’t impressed by either last year and I think Shologan is dun… Also signed another db. Robert Porter…Bring on the replacements

Sholo was basically an interim hobo d-lineman. None of the bomber d-linemen really stood out. I suspect most of them graded out well - C+ to B grades - but its a lot easier to grade out OK than to be a difference-maker. Fans want a difference-maker not just someone who is always in position but seldom making difficult or amazing plays.

Loschard is neither here nor there.

Yuke Cummings is another guy (import DL) that I can see displaced - but a lot of that will depend on whether Danny Mac and his scouting consortium can find anyone better.

Lots of yap on TSN 1290 this a.m. w/ Westwood and Jim "The Anvil" Toth, some guy suggested we go after the other Westerman brother. Not a bad idea - although he'll cost more than his brother!

.......The other Westerman is a really good idea.....From a few reports I've read he was treading water with Wally and not happy there after being chastised....The brother act might just work and has to be better than the failed Cootchy and Mambo duo, who never thrilled me while they were here......Never seen much of Lochard and we won't miss his services but the Cowboys signing McDuffie today stings a bit....Guess Fogg gets to be the return guy and we'll have to find another.... Redblacks FA Williams anyone???

Hadn’t heard about McDuffie Papa - that’s a hurter to be sure - although there’s a chance he washes out of the 'boys program - - - - Fogg is outstanding as a returner - don’t know if I’d chase Williams for more than average FA coin - he’s a very small man and bomber WRs and KRs take above average amounts of abuse. Don’t know if he’d be good for 10, 8, 6 or less games! Gotta be a few speedballs caught in purgatory between NFL & CFL.

......Madani reporting that Keenan LaFrance will most likely sign with the Bombers....Gotta say this kid impressed me in the playoffs and he sure runs great in the snow....not that we expect a lot at IGF in the playoffs but ya never know...How's that for confidence...Gritty kid and hometown boy always plays well and I think he'll be a great fit with Harris :rockin: Rumour also that we are interested in the other Westerman,,,,Sounds like old home week :lol:

Lafrance is a great add. Not as dynamic as Nic Demski but more mature and reliable. Don't expect him to run 4 daylight cuz Ottawa def had better run blocking

I liked Henoc, but Cauchy is still trying to avoid contact, only now with the Esks.

Sholo didn't earn his salary and was outplayed by a cheaper Jake Thomas, a kiss of death for any player in a cap league. My guess is Sholo didn't want to take a cut and he didn't last long on the FA market. As Walters said, we have Rupert Butcher coming in and it's possible they take a DL at the top of the draft. Either or both would save the team some cap room. It's possible they look at another national on the FA market like Westerman's brother. Would be nice if Bilukidi finally showed up but don't think that's an option.

Lochard filled in and made a few plays when Harris got dinged up but I supposed it wasn't enough to convince the team to keep him. I'm usually reticent to take anything Madani or anyone at Sportsnet says about the CFL, except for Dunk, but I wouldn't mind seeing LaFrance here. We could've boosted our roster if we had drafted some of these Bisons the last few years. Lafrance will cost more than Lochard given his play in the playoffs for the Redblacks, but he's a better back up. If they sign Lafrance though what does that mean for Tim Flanders?

Looks like we'll need a new return option with McDuffie signing with the Cowboys. Maybe Flanders though I'm not sure they keep 3 RBs on the roster if they do in fact sign Lafrance. Maybe that new DB Porter, maybe someone else.

Still need to do something at linebacker.

Walters press meeting is a good listen on the Bombers home site.It sounds like we go in with Davis as #2.Moving on from kohlert and Bass . Doesn't sound like he expects any big splashes after Okpalaugo. I always like listening to Walters.He comes across well and is imformative as he can be.

For my money Flanders is the real deal. I think he could be a real star in this league and is a better back than is Harris ( passport aside of course). If he is released old Wally will be on him keeping his two back rotation in play.

…Don’t know about better than Harris BUT he is a darn good back…I’m sure the Bombers will keep him around in all likelihood :wink:

I echo the sentiments of prior poster - ie. that Flanders is every bit Harris’s equal but citizenship gives substantial edge to Harris.
Harris also a far better blocking back - and with a couple below average to mediocre o-linemen the bombers have to have a force held in to block.
Both guys are way above average in not going down to first contact - Flanders surprisingly good as a short to mid-range WR, almost Harris’s equal in this regard.
Speed wise, neither are gonna break the sound barrier - but I suspect Flanders is a legit 4.5/4.5 guy while Harris might be a 4.75 - on a good night!

Other thought - I really don’t like Ky Walter’s (GM) making a declarative statement ‘That we’re not going after the top Free Agents’ - almost defeatist if you ask me. Why not just play the game and say we’ve got one or two targeted guys (leave things open for analysis as to who). If you lose out to money - no big deal - just stay in the game, don’t forcefeed the fans a lose-hoper like your defeatist statement. Wonder if Keenan Lafrance is one of those BIG FISH you’ll wash out on? Hope not! :cowboy:

…Totally agree Lyle on Kyle…What a stupid thing to say before fa…So does this mean when we sign a guy in free agency, that we consider him to be ‘not really a top free agent’, just some hobo (I borrowed that Lyle) who we’re signing just to fill out the roster…We should be considering EVERY free agent even though we might not be in the game money wise, because ya never know…Maybe a top free agent is considering other things besides money if we’re close…Maybe Walters is shrewder than we thought and is throwing other clubs off the scent and then we’ll pounce/// :lol: I guess we’ll find out Tues. once the smoke has cleared…As of now I guess we’re almost ready to stand pat if you believe Walters and that ain’t good for a team with a 26 yr. Cup drought and with a one and done in the playoffs the previous year. :roll: :roll:

Sure hope Walters is putting up a dumb as Barney Fife smokescreen re: free agents.

I'd be happy if they managed to latch onto LaFrance, despite his great playoff run last year - he probably wouldn't be a starter for the Bombers.

But they sure need another 1 minimum game-breaking terror on their d-line, to be sure.

Don't like their chances of picking up a super-hobo from the McManus scouting combine - form chart says they'll pick up at least a couple guys who wash out of the NFL - either with chronic injuries or under-powered at their position.

I think Walters has to maximize his intake from both free agency and the scouting smorgasbord. Can't rely on one more than the other.

Couple of old draft picks may also be on verge of washing out of the NFL - whether they want to play for the bombers for what amounts to gloried pocket cash is another question! :cowboy:

.....One of either Cash...Venable...Nevis or Westerman are most likely on our radar...maybe 2 of that bunch....Lafrance is a done deal ... I don't see a receiver (will be a BIG surprise if we do land one) being at all in our plans in fa...I think we'll sign quality guys rather than the quantity of players we signed last year...If the money is right I say we land a couple of solid players that have made a name for themselves in the league..I don't see Lafrance as being a starter BUT he will be invaluable as a back-up to Harris....both of them native sons who have always wanted to play for the BigBlue...Go get em Walters. :rockin: