2016 CFL Season

Anyone bold enough 2 predict how the Riders will do this year?

10-8

I say 8 to 10 wins but it’s not an option.

it all depends on durant

7 wins tops. Probably 6.

At this point...totally agree. At least last year they had a heck of a #2 in Glenn. Will be interesting to see who they bring in...supposedly there will be at least 2 new QBs around....one likely landing on the PR...but let's be honest...Coleman is at risk if anything decent comes along at this point.

This team will be defined by the back 9 of the season IMO. There appears to be a large gap in talent behind Durant so I’ll echo what others have said, any chance will require a healthy Durant. And I know Jones is a defensive guru, but 3 converted receivers on the active roster in defensive roles? It may work but I’m guessing there’s a lot of hoping the defensive starters stay healthy so you don’t have to find out early in the season. I get the national guys - Reaves and Francis, but after all the players they’ve supposedly looked at, a converted AC Leonard from receiver is one of the best DL they’ve found? Lot of question marks I think but I also suspect the roster will still evolve over the course of the season which is why I think the last half of the season is what will dictate the teams fortunes, again assuming a healthy Durant.

Not trolling, just honest opinion

last year with Glen and a top rated offense for the first 5 weeks we didn't get a win until week 11 of the regular season,
this year with an offense that will take time to gel, our seasons success will depend on the teams continuous improvement,
if we can be 2 and 7 for the first half and 5 and 4 for the back half, I will consider the season a success.
but to achieve this Durant must remain healthy,
as from what I see we do not have a legitimate backup QB ?

Pretty much agreed with all of that and well said IMO

As far as front 7 starters go there seems to be solid depth...capis NI DE is definitely a question mark at the moment though....yes.

Secondary wise I like Francis at Safety....but he will learn some hard lessons and cost the D at times. Good news is they have experienced depth there if it fails

They have bolstered the secondary with a few moves in the past few days...Maze was brought back today....not sure if it is an insurance thing or if it is a not over injury yet thing and he is to be compensated. CB wise they should be alright depth wise...DB might be why Maze is back. CB a good secondary guy can pick up fast...DB takes time because of the waggle and such...pretty hard to put a new face in there and the guys they have for it have some discipline concerns.

Fairly close to how I see it. Give it a few days on the QB situation....the names floating out there are respectable and in tune with what they actually wanted in camp to start with....definitely a concern as is though

I think Collins will slowly integrate and be a big factor later this season and into 2017.

RB is my largest concern...followed by DD on wide side screens and flats...big weakness for him and likely planned to be a large part of the o

I agree about the RB situation and frankly disappointed with all the camps they had that they didn't come up with something that looks more promising then what they have right now. I actually thought Cobb looked fairly promising in the first game, of course no tv for the second so hard to judge how he faired. Still if you know Messam is toast and your not planning on bringing back Allen you would think that perhaps this maybe an issue ?

Never was sold on Steele and lol everyone is saying Walters is all that and can get it done but other then his passport I have not seen anything impressive or that tells me he can carry the load. Lets put it this way if the Riders were to rely on a running game, what we have right now is not going to cut it by a long shot. Walters nor Steele is a Cornish or a Sheets. or even close to that caliper of RB.

Curious, where are you seeing everyone saying Walters is the man? What I have seen on social media and wom is mostly people see him as a NI that can be used if needed and takes some real rotation....haven't seen/heard many that consider him a feature back....but that is what i have been seeing where I roam anyways....and I tend to agree with that sentiment. He is not a feature back but can come in and do some of the work at times and give ratio options for certain playsets. He can also come in and be productive on a regular or in a pinch situation, even if he is not a premier back. I gained more confidence in him when he sidestepped the BC LBs a couple weeks ago...arguably the best in the league. He does however have pretty good hands and more importantly is an above average blocker....staff has stated from the begining that blocking ability is the key ability in the RBs they are looking for...he has that covered. I tend to think this is where Cobb fell short. As far as comparing to Cornish or Sheets....those are gems that do not come along very often.

Don't get me wrong...I agree the RB area is a concern...have been saying that. I do believe there are a couple really good options to look at...Dyer might still be one of them, but there are a pile of names being rumbled....RB is a position that there are a lot of players to draw on at least and they can become serviceable quickly and learn more about the blocking and motions as time goes on. Until/unless Steele falls flat in a couple games though....I don't see them racing to replace him, and we haven't seen a real snap yet.

Ok JimmytheGreek I'll bend by 1 game to finish at 9-9 :cowboy:

I find it funny how there is a feeling out there of "Oh running backs are easy to find, or replace" yet how many real good running backs do you see out there? Sure there are plenty of serviceable backs but I'm talking about the ones that make you go whoa this dude can do damage. The ones that when they are on the field can change the game. Those backs are very rare and yet can be so vital to whether you win or lose. This is my point, sure Walters and Steele are "serviceable backs" but when you absolutely need that yard to seal the deal on a game are these two players you would name as the guys you would want running the rock? Of course no running back is a lock at getting that magic yard but names like Reed,Pinball,Cornish, Sheets when you heard they were in everyone felt pretty confident that it was a done deal. I feel this is the type of back this team really needs. Yes of course blocking is very important and yes keeping Durant clean is extremely important but so is having that back that can put fear into a defense. The ones that make them slow down the pass rush because they are just as concerned about filling the lanes so that back does not break through and romp of serious amounts of real estate. That can also help in keeping your qb upright, I mean when the D line is not pinning their ears back and coming full tilt because of what I mentioned they need to fill run gaps then that can take the heat of the qb thus giving him more time to find a target or run himself.

Just look at the 2013 GreyCup game, the Riders were pinned in there own end about the 10 yard line and looking at 2nd and 20. One good block from I think it was Fulton and Sheets found the gap and ripped off 25 -30 yards. Now that was the kiss of death for Hamilton because the game certainly was not out of reach at that time. That run though killed the TiCats in more ways then one. Yes it gave us a fresh set of downs but it also got us out of a big hole field position wise plus you could practically see the whole TiCats defense just become so deflated after that. The time it took off the clock just made the comeback for Hamilton that much bigger. This is my point. A very good running back can do just that to change the whole complexion of the game. If Hamilton had stopped us and we had to punt then who knows how things could have turned out.

I just feel if we had that kind of back it would help not only the offense until Durant gets the rust off and builds chemistry with his receivers, but it would also help the defense too. If you have a great ground game and can keep the offense on the field it makes it a lot easier for the defense because they are not on the the field so long.

I think a little more focus should have been put into this aspect. Having Steele and Walters as the best we could come up with as of now tells me it wasn't.

I think your first and last sentence on the above contradict each of the two.

I wasn't going to comment on the progression of our team until after 6 games but.

Rider D not their yet but coming along quite nicely, give them a few more games,
O played extremely well last game considering that Gale has only been here for 2 weeks and the O-line has 3 replacements including the centre,
got to find us a bona fide centre as I'm not completely sold on either Clark or Jones.
St.John, going to be a good one , worth the wait, but he needs to get up to speed and that's coming , the biggest plus on his part is that he is aware of this,.
I like Gale and hope that he gets the start against Montreal to give Durant another week to recover,
the running game will pick up as the O-line improves,
what is the status on Steele ? not really sold on him as I like a big bruising back to get those tough 2 yards when you need them.
Receivers, we have a good bunch, I really like Roosevelt, Collins, Bagg and Demski
special teams, well Lawrence better start catching the ball in the air or he might as well go back to Edmonton,

I really like the direction that the team as a whole is going in, just a few more pieces to puzzle to complete and then watch out.

:twisted: protect your QB at all costs and put the fear of god in theirs, and you will win the majority of games that you play in, and this ladies and gentlemen is what we are starting to do. :twisted:

I should have not made a comment until after game 6 like I said I was going to do ,
but I'm like the Riders, I believe in their achievements no matter how little they are , and then BAM reality sets in and a weak team shows you how good you really are, or is Montreal that good ?
I know that building a team from scratch takes time and that we have 20 players on the 6 game, including 5 starting O-line, but the offseason acquisitions are embarrassing Jones and company, as most of them are not living up to their hype.
they are successful in a system just not Chris Jones system, so as previously stated its time for Murphy to start living up to his reputation and find some talent that fits the mould of our coaching staff.
what's with this expanded scouting system that they were bragging about earlier this year?

I will agree that Gale did a very good job and protected the ball well. JSJ will get better but to be fair he was probably brought in sooner then he should have been but injuries dictated that. I will also agree we do need improvement at center. Clark is fair but he still isn't as good as I would like . The D line is still an issue and I think we need a major upgrade in the middle. We are just not getting the pressure we should from a 4 man rush. Still not sold on Cap being a good fit either. Our receiving core is a good base obviously with Roosevelt being a standout. Still a few tweaks may make it even better. Another speedster and deep threat would certainly help take some focus off of Roosevelt and really make the other teams secondary more then a bit scared.

I think I have made it very clear what I think about our running game so I will leave it at that.

Lawrence has been a bust in my opinion and other then he is a Jones guy I can't see how he is still here. He fights the ball a lot and even when he does field it clean he hasn't shown much. Campbell is suppose to be a speed guy why not give him a look at least in practices and see what he can do. Whether they do that or not they need make a move to improve the return game.

Still too many busts in the secondary and too many guys blowing assignments, if by the half way mark if this isn't cleaned up then start looking at NFL cuts.

I wasn't going to comment on the progression of our team until after 6 games but.

Rider D not their yet but coming along quite nicely, give them a few more games,
O played extremely well last game considering that Gale has only been here for 2 weeks and the O-line has 3 replacements including the centre,
got to find us a bona fide centre as I'm not completely sold on either Clark or Jones.
St.John, going to be a good one , worth the wait, but he needs to get up to speed and that's coming , the biggest plus on his part is that he is aware of this,.
I like Gale and hope that he gets the start against Montreal to give Durant another week to recover,
the running game will pick up as the O-line improves,
what is the status on Steele ? not really sold on him as I like a big bruising back to get those tough 2 yards when you need them.
Receivers, we have a good bunch, I really like Roosevelt, Collins, Bagg and Demski
special teams, well Lawrence better start catching the ball in the air or he might as well go back to Edmonton,

I really like the direction that the team as a whole is going in, just a few more pieces to puzzle to complete and then watch out.

:twisted: protect your QB at all costs and put the fear of god in theirs, and you will win the majority of games that you play in, and this ladies and gentlemen is what we are starting to do. :twisted:

I should have not made a comment until after game 6 like I said I was going to do ,
but I'm like the Riders, I believe in their achievements no matter how little they are , and then BAM reality sets in and a weak team shows you how good you really are, or is Montreal that good ?
I know that building a team from scratch takes time and that we have 20 players on the 6 game, including 5 starting O-line, but the offseason acquisitions are embarrassing Jones and company, as most of them are not living up to their hype.
they are successful in a system just not Chris Jones system, so as previously stated its time for Murphy to start living up to his reputation and find some talent that fits the mould of our coaching staff.
what's with this expanded scouting system that they were bragging about earlier this year?

Sorry Bowl450 but if you believe this, I got a bridge here in PA that I will sell you. The effort last night or the lack of it shows me this D sucks yet, no better than last year, don't remember a game this bad last season... I for one am not impressed!