It was a very scripted inter-squad scrimmage...now don't get me wrong, they always are. Coaches are looking at very specific things...certain positions focusing on blocks, substitutions, etc...they want to see a 2nd and 3 more than they want to see a full drive. the surprising part was usually coaches will step in and want to see something done over...not here...bang or bust...very interesting approach
- Tbrack apparently is going to be Safety again...I know that was in question
- MacDougall still hasn't really moved up...so it seams like he will be the ratio Safety only
- Looking like the secondary...beyond Safety...is leaning toward Marrio Norman, T-Jack, Turenne, Brown
- LBs are looking like Emry, Clark, and a dogfight for the final spot...Harris has the advantage of having played at DB so he can likely rotate/drop into overage a little better
- Milo is looking like the best place kicker option...I think the idea of 1 guy doing all is fading. He missed one from around 50 by hitting a post...nailed another from around the same. Oneil was mehh kicking but punting was looking pretty darned good actually other than shanking one...Early missed a long one but hit shorter ones...his punting was of course great. This spot is definitely shifting to 2 players...who is yet to be seen...may come down to ratio....will be interesting
- Miller and Smith were really the predominant targets in action. Is that play calling in general...which is JCs MO...or was it the situations scrimmage put them in? The long pass is not looking like it will be huge if today was an indication...Bagg made the only long play on a really nice diving catch...that I recall anyways. Definitely looking like this scat back O with heavy doses of R smith, Miller, Demski, perhaps Williams will be heavy...Taj's experience at blocking may save his arse. They are not using Taj much though...not sure if that is because they know what he can do or that they are focusing on someone else...he definitely isn't getting much his way.
- Roosevelt was a hot target...his stock is rising even more
- DD looked fine...great to see. Kevin Glenn seemed to read the D the best and adjusted to it very well. Brett Smith took snaps ahead of Sunseri...HMMMM. Sunseri showed the least out of all the QBs
- OL is a concern. All of the internationals looked good, but you know damned well CC does not want a third OT ritting the ratio. The OG and C are fine IMO...one of Watman/Picard will be C and one will be a strong rotation guy...OT is a concern as in an injury...these guys don't generally last an entire season so it might be something we see a move on still. I am just having a hard time reading if Vonk has a roster spot...and they don't seem to be biting on Hinse...don't be shocked if there is still a move on Chris Greaves...i see draft picks moving in combination with a young DE or something.
- Punt coverage looked good...i know there are going to be a lot of eyes on this with the big rule change. it seems that they are adopting the approach of an extra backpedal step then releasing up field...something a strong long snapper will allow. I think it is a good strategy.