2015 Grey Cup?

The Pan Am games are in july so it should not be a issue.

What big birthday is that? 2018 would be Canada’s 151st, would you perhaps be thinking 2017, the 150th.

So, now with some modest degree of logic, the next 5 years should be:

2014 - B.C., already decided
2015 - Winnipeg, most logical as they were ariginally slated for 2014
2016 - Hamilton, not likely to want to host 2 major events in one year so 2015 is logically out
2017 - Ottawa, Canada's 150th birthday celebration year, makes sense.
2018 - Edmonton, West's turn again and Edmonton's turn in the rotation.

A location of a Grey Cup game in Montreal, provided the Bid O has had the roof fixed, could motivate officials in Montreal, and the Provincial Government to finally fix the roofing problem. Montreal, a city recognized well internationally, should have a functioning 50 000 person arena.

That’s up to Montreal, not the CFL. If Montreal were to solve there problems, I sure the CFL would consider their bid.

Absolutely. They will not get a Grey Cup without a stadium and if Montreal chose to move out do to safety I cant see the Grey Cup being there.
The Big will be the main site for the 2014 U19 WWC and will be a major host of the WWC 2015 but that will be in the month of June

my guess;

Edmonton 2015
Winnipeg 2016
Toronto 2017
Ottawa 2018
Hamilton 2019

thoughts are,
Edmonton just finished renovations/seat installation and it will have been 5 years since their last time hosting. big stadium means big profits.
Winnipeg will have time between now and 2016 to fix the press box, the upper management and assemble a contender.
Toronto 2017 is the last year of their deal with Rogers Centre. this is a Lock, IMO.
i don't think Ottawa will want to host the Grey Cup before they have time to put a contender together, so 2018 will give them a few years. i don't see Hamilton being eager to host a grey cup until after the pan-am games and time to work out kinks of the new THF. plus, they sold their rights for the 2014 game to BC, so they won't get a turn for awhile.

as always, time will tell.

......That Cup game in 2015 is going to look terrific in that gem of a stadium in the Peg....As far as the press box goes...well on it's way to being improved, so the scribes etc. can appreciate the game experience.. :wink:

I could be wrong but I think Winnipeg had the rights to 2014, not Hamilton.

if that were true ( i don't think it is, since winnipeg hosted 2006 ), then winnipeg won't get one for a long time.
why would winnipeg have sold off the rights to 2014, when they would have had a brand new stadium to host in?

you can't sell the rights to the 2014 game and then get it in 2015.

i think it was hamilton who sold the 2014 game to BC.

I believe that cfleskfan is correct http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports … 43251.html

B.C. did purchase the rights to stage the 2011 game from Hamilton.

Winnipeg will host the 2015 Grey Cup, count on it.

That article doesn’t shed any light on who originally owned the rights to the 2014 game.

Let's say, for argument sake, winnipeg did own the rights to 2014, do you think they would have owned the rights to both 2014 and 2015, and chose to sell 2014 to the lions?
I doubt they had the rights to both. Which means, had they owned the rights to 2014 they won't get another turn until 2019 at the earliest.

If this sounds unlikely, then it is because winnipeg probably didn't own the rights to 2014. Which means they Can host 2015 ( even though I believe they will host 2016) .

Glad the poll is doing so well.

I was thinking Ottawa for 2015 myself, just because they were originally slated for 2014, but Jeff Hunt has expressed his desire to host, three to four years after establishing the team.

I think Winipeg makes the most sense, I mean Hamilton has had to wait the longest, but Winnipeg hasn't hosted since 2006 and they likely need an injection of captial to deal with the stadium payment issues that management seems to have let gotten out of hand. I also don't think the city of Hamilton will be keen on it with the Pan-Ams. I believe they are also renovating the Hamilton convention centre, so that might also be an item they want to wait on.

I also think Ottawa for 2017 makes sense due to Canada's 150th.

So I think it goes like this.

Winnipeg 2015 - It makes sense to showcase the new Stadiums while the shine is still there, and Winnipeg likely needs funds to put those stadium payment issues to rest, and to rebuild the press box. That and it might be another reason for the fanbase to renew season tickets if they haven't fixed the on field product by now.

Hamilton 2016 - With the pan-ams behind us and the kinks worked out of the stadium, I think 2016 makes sense. The league gets to showcase yet another new stadium to the fanbase, Hamilton hasn't hosted since 1996 so it corrects a long standing injustice. This will also be the last year in Bob's new stadium deal where he doesn't have to fork over 10% of his profits (meaning money made after expenses, not income) over to the city, because lets face it, I just don't see the Grey Cup in a new stadium not making money.

Here's hoping the Hamilton bands Monster Truck or The Arkells are the halftime show. "The Lion" by Monster Truck is the perfect halftime song, and of course The Arkells "Ti-Cats are hummin'" live would be awesome. If not, expect Toronto as it will be Braley's last chance to fill up his new stadium war chest.

Ottawa 2017 - It's Canada's 150th, it only makes sense to go to the capital for it. It also continues the trend of the league showcasing all of it's new stadiums. It should also (hopefully) help cement the finances of the RedBlacks who likely will be competitors by this time. It also lines up with Jeff Hunt's desire for three to four years. Only concern here is the league might not want two Grey Cups going to Ontario so close together, but they did it with Alberta and Calgary/Edmonton in 2009/2010 so shouldn't be an issue.

Calgary or Edmonton 2018 - Calgary has waited longer, but I'm to understand McMahon needs some love so the league might not be too keen on the idea. The cup should go back West, and BC and Regina had a good go at it close already.

Montreal/Regina 2019 - By now the roof should be fixed and hopefully a bit of a reno happened during the process. If not it's heading back to Regina as the new stadium should have been up for two years by now.

Montreal/Regina/Toronto 2020 - Same as before, but if the roof still isn't fixed and Regina hasn't hosted yet in their new digs, it's going back to Toronto.

Beyond that, who knows.

I think basically they pulled out of the running for the 2014 game because they were not ready to host the game, thereby clearing the way for B.C. to take it on. I think had Winnipeg chosen to pursue the 2014 game the league had all but promised it to them as long as the stadium was ready. We will see but I think the 2015 game is Winnipeg’s if they want it.

You are right Calgary has now become non Grey Cup worthy. It is just not up to modern standards. The small concourse, lack of concession and washroom facilities as well as not up to date modern suites.

Logic says Winnipeg, but in reality it will be wherever David Braley says it will be

2015 or 2016, Winnipeg will host the GC .

The GC now requires much more than it used to when a team and a city place a bid to hold the biggest annual sporting event in Canada. Not so long ago there was a time when it was hard to find someone to host the game this is no longer the case.
Fairness says in the past that each team should get a turn when it is their time, however, each team and city must meet the requirements.
So we sit as Winnipeg probably wanted to host the 2014 Grey Cup but stadium delays of a whole season and not meeting requirements of the stadium, enclosed press box, has forced the CFL to entertain a bid from another team and city in 2014 hence Vancouver and the BC province have again been able to get the support it needs to go along with the best venue in the CFL as well as the availability of that venue.
2015 will be no different if Winnipeg is able to upgrade the press box to the new Grey Cup standards they should get the big game if not it will be back to the franchise and the city that puts forth the best bid for the game.
The same will be said for 2016 and so on.

[url=http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/10/31/bombers-bidding-for-2015-or-2016-grey-cup]http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/10/31/b ... 6-grey-cup[/url]

http://media.winnipegfreepress.com/images/280*196/IG-timelapse-130627.jpg

The Winnipeg Football Club announced today it will bid for the Grey Cup in 2015 or 2016.

The City of Winnipeg and the provincial government will partner with the CFL organization to bring the big game to the Manitoba capital for the first time since 2006.

“Since Investors Group Field opened its doors in June, nearly a quarter million visitors have streamed in and stood in awe of the first new CFL stadium built in Canada in over three decades,? Winnipeg Football Club acting CEO Wade Miller said in a press release.

“Being able to host the Grey Cup in the new home of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers would be an especially proud moment for football fans and our entire community.?

Investors Group Field has a normal capacity of 33,500, but it can be expanded to more than 41,000 for the Grey Cup.

Regina will host this year’s Grey Cup, and Vancouver will do so in 2014. Hosting the Grey Cup usually brings in excess of $100 million to the local economy.

“Manitobans came together to build a world class football stadium that is admired throughout the league, and I can think of no better place to host the Grey Cup,? Manitoba Premier Greg Selinger said in a release.

“Hosting the Grey Cup would be a major boost to our economy, supporting good jobs and creating opportunities for local businesses.?

My vote goes to Winnipeg as well. 2016 should be Hamilton. 2017 should go to Ottawa and 2018 should be back in Regina as they will have their new stadium built by then. No more GC games in Toronto until they move out of the Sky Dome.