2013 Draft Picks updates

Forgotten in the excitement in everything going one; Expansion draft, 2014 draft, New TD place, etc; seems to be the 2013 redshirt juniors drafted.

Fourth round Pick TE Tyler Digby from Robert Morris is in Canada playing in the NLL for the Vancouver Stealth. Says he wants to do both for now at least. The two seasons NLL and CFL have no overlap at all. The NLL ends in early may with the championship game and starts the season in late december. He definitely is good enough to do both. Should be interesting how this works out.

The Calagary Roughnecks are owned by the Flames LP who own the CFL Stamps as well.

In the east the only Canadian team is Toronto but both Buffalo and Rochester both have franchises.
So will he bounce back and fourth from east to west each year or will there be some movement from one of the leagues to place him on a roster that would be closer to his CFL team.

He is big strong and athletic 6'3" 250. Already rumored he can play anywhere and he could be moved to defense with Lavoi, if 100%, and Delahunt already 2 starting quality TEs.
He already is a Utility player for the Stealth playing both attack and defense so he could also make one heck of a great Rush DE

He does not appear to have any NFL interest. I could see the REBLACKS signing him and placing him on the 9 game IR for the first part of the season and then spring him the second half of the season at whatever position they have him practicing at.
Especiall if they can somehow get both DEs drafted into training camp and not in the NFL

Third Round Kalonji Kashama DE from Eastern Michigan Like the pick before him he is getting NFL attention as well. One report describes him as strong and surprisingly quick. Listed as a DL/DE he buked up to 270 for his sr season from 260. So he can also be a wait and see what happens with the NFL. Both he and Williams are ranked in the middle of the pack for DE for the NFL draft. Bot will probably be looked at to fill a spcific role in the D Line rotation.

Second Round Connor Williams DE Utah State A standout DE for the Utes who he helped lead to a bowl win in 2013. Probably getting NFL interest so will probably wait it out. If he does get to Ottawa he can be a real game changer for the REDBLACKS. Most likley would make the roster in 2014 in at least a special teams role. Playing at a high DI level could have him prepared to translate that into a Canadian Rush DE which is like gold with very few in a starting role.

First round Nolan MacMillian OL Iowa MacMillian was a definite big 10 Starting Olineman but ijuries hampered him asfter a great freshman year. If Healthy the NFL will check him out for sure and could be another Olineman lost to an NFL practice roster for a bit.
With what the REDBLACKS were able to do in the expansion draft and other signings they can afford to wait for Williams. They likley have at least 4 if not all of their starting lineman already on the roster along with some solid back ups as well.

Forgotten is that in many 2013 Mock CFL drafts the REDBLACKS were predicted to draft Brander Graighead who Calgary snagged ahead of them and he has already been signed by Calgary

Curious to see if anyone else has any updates

I can see Digby and Williams signing fairly soon with the RedBlacks. Williams has a good motor but unless the guys he was playing against in the Bowl game are 1st round NFL picks, I didn't see him getting to the QB all game. I see him as a eventual rotation guy on the DL but I don't know about a game changer.
Kashama and McMillan will probably wait and see if they can get a NFL invite. Kashama apparently has come on quite well this past year and may have a shot in the NFL. Not so sure about McMillan. I thought Brander Craighead was suppose to be rated ahead of McMillan and he apparently thought it was better to sign with Calgary instead of going to TC in the NFL. The SMS will probably allow teams to give out some signing bonuses now. That's just my opinion and I hope the RB's sign them all and they all pan out.

Maybe Digby may swing by Ottawa and sign when the Stealyh make an eastern trip to Toronto or Rochester and Buffalo.
Williams bad showing in the Bowl Game could be Ottawa's gain. Certainly the motor to make the roster on Special teams. A rotation player on the Dline for sure is very possible but if he can translate into a starter Foley type thats what I mean by game changer. Canadian Rush DEs are hard to come by and Utah St is not a powerhouse but play a good DI schedule so that may have helped in preparing him.

Picks 2,3,and 4 all are capable of making the Redblacks roster with their regualr positions translate to special teams players.
A healthy McMillian can also find a spot on the roster if not invited to NFL camp. His injury problems may shy the NFL away.

Of the new import RBs signed Hayes has the best pedigree. DI at Houston in a 2 back system his sr year can run and receive. A lot of drawa and swing passes were al of his over 1,000 of total offense. 2 years battling to the end in Chargers camp but was too crowded. Teamed with Walker could be a good 2nd and long back

Sort of flying under the radar were the signing of 2013 draft picks OL Nolan mcMillian and DE Conner Williams.
When talking of top lineman drafted this season and if they are CFL ready if you look at the redshirt Juniors who were drafted last season rookies McMilian, Craighead, Steward as well as Sewell who went back for his 5th year at Mac leaving the NFL behind.compared to the 2014 top rookie Olineman drafted and in the CFL Lavertu, Gossen, and Player
I would have tosay last years bunch are much more ready in comparison.
In Calgary we will find out as both may be looking to fill the spots of Gott and Deane.
BC the same thing Steward and player.

At DE Conner Williams will have a much better shot at seeing time in a DE rotation than Ainsworth will in Regina.

For McMillian grabing a starting OG spot would not be out of the question with Gott at C now to anchor the line Eppele at the other OG spot and Deane returning to his RT spot fulltime that he played at Mich State

Kashama has just signed an NFL contract so he will be unava8ilable.
Digby still waiting to here. Could be waiting it out for the SMS for a signing bonus. With Lavoie and Delahunt there is no rush to sign Dgby another TE.
I could see Digby singing after Training camp and being put righ on the 9 game IR. Comesecond half of the season be in full football shape and fresh for the final 9 games.

Kashama has just signed an NFL contract so he will be unava8ilable.
Digby still waiting to here. Could be waiting it out for the SMS for a signing bonus. With Lavoie and Delahunt there is no rush to sign Dgby another TE.
I could see Digby singing after Training camp and being put righ on the 9 game IR. Comesecond half of the season be in full football shape and fresh for the final 9 games.