2012 Ti-Cat starting QB

true, although we just need Burris for a year or two to help integrate the transition to the new guy (whomever that may be)
and it was only 12 months ago that he won the league Most Outstanding Player award and was still voted as having the strongest arm in the CFL this year by league peers.

Glenn may be 3 years younger than Burris, yet I feel Hank will provide more improvement next season.

and Burris throwing those long bombs to Williams, Thigpen and Grant are certainly pleasing to contemplate. :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe our starting quarterback plays for Boise State. Kellen Moore - 6' 0" 191 33 touchdowns 7 intercepts 73% completions . The kid is a winner who may be considered too short for the NFL. He is on our negotiation list. While we're at Boise State, we could consider drafting Tyrone Crawford D.E. 6'4" 276 Windsor Ontario and Michael Atkinson D.T. 6'0" 320 Windsor Ontario.
Bill Parcells always stresses quarterback accuracy as being the primary ingredient. I hope next year's starting quarterback can hit his receivers in stride and not hang them out to be concussed. I also hope that next year's starter can escape the pocket and run for first downs when necessary. :smiley:

Pat Lynch( the old guy)

That's a moot point. There is a little-known provision in the secret manual that all Ticat coaches are obligated to follow called the Ken Hobart Rule. It says that when you have a QB who is a gifted runner, you must convert him to a drop-back passer and force him to stay in the pocket ... even when any other team will tell you that his running is what they fear most ... and even when running QBs on other teams take the league by storm and win MOPs and Grey Cups. For latest iteration see Porter, Q.

Hopefully this manual, which is kept in a dusty drawer somewhere in the bowels of Ivor Wynne, gets lost in the renovations when they knock the stadium down.

that’s why Flutie never signed with the Cats… :frowning:

Had, perhaps. Just a bad season for him or is time catching up? He was great in 2010, no question. Of course, Glenn's 5000 yards was pretty good too. Burris has been the better career QB, no question. Yet the question is, "Is he the future?"

Burris' play had tailed off this year. His running was hesitant. His passes weren't quite as crisp. Low and behold, he was getting into a habit of throwing INT's. Is he still a cup winning first stringer or now merely a good QB?

What I want is someone who can mentor a younger QB and whose ego won't get in the way. Burris clearly was put out by being benched in favor of Tate. Maybe he's learned something from this or maybe not. I don't know.

What I do believe is that we need an older QB with the same general skill set of the younger QB's that we bring in. Oh.... and an offence to match.

He (Burris) was great in 2010, no question. Of course, Glenn's 5000 yards was pretty good too. [b]Burris has been the better career QB, no question. Yet the question is, "Is he the future?"[/b]
the future??

Burris would only be for the NOW option until a new kid can take over. A year or two MAX.

Hank would more than likely fare better than Glenn for the 2012 season and give the Cats a half decent chance to break past .500 and an outside possibility to advance to the final hosted in the local GTA region.

Glenn will not accord us the same odds next season.

and Burris has had one subpar year in the past decade, while KG has been on a teeter totter since day one.

...or maybe Donovan McNabb......

ESPN's Don Banks and Fan590's Bob McCown and Stephen Brunt were spit-balling the other day about the possibility of McNabb heading north of the border and perhaps playing for Argos (or for that matter the Cats). After all, his wife is from Hamilton.

He's gonna learn the Canadian game now?

No thanks. I'd much rather have Glenn, Porter or Burris.

Post by CaptainKirk » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:40 pm
kicker wrote:...or maybe Donovan McNabb......

ESPN's Don Banks and Fan590's Bob McCown and Stephen Brunt were spit-balling the other day about the possibility of McNabb heading north of the border and perhaps playing for Argos (or for that matter the Cats). After all, his wife is from Hamilton.

He's gonna learn the Canadian game now?

No thanks. I'd much rather have Glenn, Porter or Burris.No thanks. I'd much rather have Glenn, Porter or Burris.

WOW !! Just WOW !!

Not that I would think, for a millisecond, that McNabb would ever bother even thinking about coming to the CFL at this point in his career ... a borderline HOF career at that ... but, just for argument sake ... to say you would prefer any of the above mentioned QB's - and especially Quinton Porter - borders on the most, I mean - absolute - ignorant comment I have ever - and I mean in the history of this board - ever - ever - read in my life.

To put it bluntly, succinctly, and clearly - McNabb would tear this league to shreds if he decided to play here. It would draw instant comparisons to Doug Flutie - easily, and then some.

Are you kidding me !!!! "Learn the Canadian game !!??" ... His physical ability, experience, and knowledge would make a mockery of any DB, and defense this league has to offer, period, end of story.

Just when I thought I heard it all ... someone says they would prefer Quinton "I couldn't read a defense in brail, capital letters, or via audio book" Porter over Donovan McNabb ... Holy Mackinaw !! Unbelievable !!

speaking of "absolute - ignorant comment "

35 yr old NFL washout is going to "tear this league to shreds" - nonsense. better than porter maybe, but...
you must really not think much of the calibre of the average cfl player.

as for comparison to flutie, a 25 yr old mcnabb wouldnt do that, and I have been a mcnabb fan, specially when he was on the eagles.

Whatever, bud.

Washout, eh ?

The man has been placed in indescribably poor situations the past couple of years. Just take a look at Washington and Minnesota without him - not any better, period.

So , yeah - by NFL standards his play has been sub par ... but when you have - at best- 3 or 4 defensive lineman in the entire CFL capable of even sniffing an NFL roster I am more than confident that McNabb could shred this league.

Gimme a break ... the man's resume speaks for itself.

The point is moot, anyway - cuz' you ain't ever gonna see McNabb playing in this league , period.

You make it sound like Mcnabb is some superhuman quarterback. The fact of the matter is the talent level gap between CFL and NFL isn't as big as you think. Many NFL players can't make a CFL roster just as it is vice versa. Better than Porter, sure, technically better than Glenn and possibly Burris? Maybe. Does that mean he'll play better than all of them in this league? No.

remember vince?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vince_Ferragamo

Juts like Ricky Williams was going to rush for over 200 yards every game.

McNabb would do more poorly in the CFL than he is doing now in the NFL.

The talent level disparity that you describe siimply does not exist. History has proven that over the years.

Yes, Porter over McNabb. He is washed up. Numerous reports about him being out of shape. He's done.

So says the Vikings coach, pretty much

he believes McNabb can still play in the NFL but stopped short of saying he can be an effective starter.

"I'm not certain about that. ... A lot depends on the team he goes to, if he goes to another team," Frazier said.

[url=http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/7306453/dallas-cowboys-not-try-claim-qb-donovan-mcnabb]http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/ ... van-mcnabb[/url]

The belief that a successful NFL QB can walk into the CFL and dominate is pure fallacy.

NFL stars such as Ferragamo, McMahon, Rosenbach, Zorn, Andre Ware etc etc and many "can't miss" college stars like Eric Crouch, Akili Smith, Don McPherson, Tommie Frazier, Tony Rice and Major Harris were all major busts in the CFL.

American football players routinely fail to adapt to the intricacies of the Canadian game, such as the unlimited motion, large field size, extra player, mobility and farther throw requirements, three downs etc etc etc
These differing variables would make even Dan Marino's head spin.

This is a big play league and many foreign stars are not well suited for the CFL regardless of their credentials.

And Tangledweb, let's not forget the latest example, Ricky Williams. And what about that former Green Bay running back that showed up at the Montreal training camp and then disappeared two days later. Sorry, can't remember his name!

I've heard that being successful in this league, as a player, requires a slightly different skill set. More speed, more mobility, greater range (because of the larger field) and the rules too have an impact.

I respect those that play in the NFL, but don't agree that the players in this league are of any less quality. We've had a number of players from here go there and do well.

NFL stars such as Ferragamo, McMahon, Rosenbach, Zorn, Andre Ware etc etc and many "can't miss" college stars like Eric Crouch, Akili Smith, Don McPherson, Tommie Frazier, Tony Rice and Major Harris were all major busts in the CFL.
Well, just when I thought I had read it all .... this nugget comes down the pipe ... NFL stars !? seriously !!??

The total number of yards thrown between all of the QB's mentioned above - combined - don't even approach McNabb's career numbers ... to talk about about a borderline HOFer in the same breath as the rejects named above is comical, not to mention absurd.

A more legitimate comparison would be Steve Young - and I bet if I substituted Young for McNabb in my original post it would not have got as much argument from the peanut gallery ... which speaks to the general disrespect Donovan McNabb has garnered his entire professional career. (but that's another thread)

While I may have overstated (slightly) the case for McNabb - there is still absolutely not a scintilla, nor shred of doubt in my mind that Donovan McNabb would outperform every single QB currently on a CFL roster - end of story.

I can appreciate the CFL as much as anyone on this board - but when you are talking about proven, established, upper tier NFL talent (ie Donovan McNabb) you are talking about a completely different beast from the fringe players mentioned in this thread.

I would certainly have to agree.

At one point in McNabb’s career I would have rated him in the top ten QB’s in the NFL, perhaps even top 5.
I have not watched him in recent years as my interest in the NFL has dropped considerably.
He is a seasoned veteran and if he wanted to come to our league and play for what he would consider small paychecks then come on up!

These are excellent points. Putting oneself in McNabb's shoes and realistically assessing these points it would be, in my opinion, really tough to make the decision to come up here and risk further failure (as in not succeeding after being waved through the NFL). For him to take that risk, he would have to have an insatiable appetite to play and a strong belief/perception that he can succeed.

I pine and yearn for the day that the Cats develop a successful QB of their own like some other clubs have done.

QB's are a dime a dozen, good QB's are rare and hard to find, that's why I think the starting QB job is Glen's until somebody take it away from him like in Calgary.