2012 Could Be CFL's Best Year Yet

:thup:

I would rather see it happen north of 60 than in toronto.

Given that Toronto is currently the only city in Ontario capable of hosting a Grey Cup, this is as much Ontario’s event as it is Toronto’s. Support for the CFL in Ontario is not that far behind support in BC. In 2005 (latest year for which the data is available), 16% of Ontarians followed the CFL, while 19% of British Columbians did. If you do the math, that means that there are roughly twice as many CFL fans in Ontario as there are in BC. It also means that there are more CFL fans in Southern Ontario than there are people in Saskatchewan. In the pre-sale for the 100th Grey Cup, 70% of tickets sold were within Ontario. Why would you want let a few jerks from Toronto spoil it for that many CFL fans in Ontario? If the league had taken your attitude on the 100th Grey Cup, they’d essentially be conceding defeat to the anti-CFL, NFL-only crowd.

There’s so much Canadian football history in Southern Ontario, and Toronto specifically. The game was invented in Toronto, before Saskatchewan even had a team, and much of the early history of Canadian football took place exclusively in Ontario and Quebec. I don’t understand why so many fans are so eager to turn their backs on that history, simply because some Torontonians don’t support the CFL enough. If you want them to know about it, they have to be exposed to it. Keeping the game out of Toronto doesn’t do a thing towards that.

great post, picat :thup:

I'll second that. :thup:

Here, here.
Let’s not get carried away with extensive use of sound logic…

Sorry if I choose not to drink the cool-aid. Ontario loves it’s CFL, Toronto is where it began, the stadium is somewhat nice, and as we all know it is the center of the known universe. That is all good and fine, I understand all of that and I hope that the Centennial Grey Cup Game is the greatest ever and it probably will.

That being said, if the City of Toronto, the Mega City or the aforementioned “Center of the known Universe”, does not embrace the game, all the Kings horses and the support Ontario can muster will not guarantee a great event.

Toronto for all its pompous righteousness has unforetunately the worst sports fans in this or perhaps any other major populated area with the possible exception of Los Angeles (ironically both heavily white collar). It is up to them to prove they are ready for CFL Prime Time.

I am in my prime right now.
Today’s music sucks

Gotta agree with VOR on this. Toronto has the history but not the present!..I sincerely hope I’m proven wrong.

Listen to the music in a lot of commercials today,a lot of 60’s and 70’s RnR. Today you have a million bands with maybe a hundred good songs. Back in my " PRIME" you had a hundred good bands with a million fantastic songs!!!..and back when I entered my “PRIME”, I liked it and decided to stay !

My point exactly. Most people just mentally stay in their prime years as far as interests, likes, dislikes and beliefs as they get old. Everything was better 20 years ago goes their mantra. Thats why its important for the youth to move society along.

2012 may not be the best year talent wise, but I say could be the best year interest wise.
And I attriubte that to the apparent rise of the east.

The west will alway have great games and teams.
But finally in the east we have four competent teams that will create alot of fan interest.
And Montreal and Toronto and Hamilton being legitimate rivals instead of a one team show should drive up TV ratings big time.

Even better we won't be forced to sit through those mind numbing games from the Skydome.
Watching Cleo Lemon complete his 20th two yard pass, or watching a 7-5 score going into
the fourth quarter.
This alone is enough to celebrate!

...couldn't agree more :thup:

I don’t see any pigs flying outside from my window. Has hell frozen over?

:D

...hey, benji wrote a great post, gotta give credit when credit is due man