2010 Season Ticket Sales So Far

i think the stamps were over 20,000 a couple months ago. i know cow town is bigger then both winnipeg and regina, but its more and more an NFL town. so its nice to see the stamps doin well...

bombers should be close to/past the 20 k mark by the time everything is said and done :slight_smile:

Got this from the Scratching Post Blog (http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/)

• Mitchell (TiCats President) said the team had record revenues in 2009 and looks set to exceed those numbers in 2010 by more than 10 per cent. But the team will continue to lose money as long as they are Ivor Wynne.
• According to Mitchell, the team is on pace for 1,700 new season ticket holders and renewals are at 94 per cent. But as he has in the past, Mitchell wouldn’t provide specific numbers.
• In order to be truly healthy, the team would need to see another 30 to 40 per cent growth in season tickets over the next two to three years and a significant increase in the average purchase price.

Why can't they make money at Ivor Wynne? It's bigger than Taylor Field (minus the temp seating) and the Riders make money there. And, it's about the same size as Canad Inns and the Bombers have made money there in recent years.

There isn't the demand to fill the 28,000 + seat Ivor Wynne Stadium. The perception in town is that you can get a ticket on game day below face value from a scalper for any game except Labour Day. This has to change before they become like the Rough Riders.

The 2004, 2005 and 2006 seasons saw Ivor Wynne nearly full and averaging over 25,000 per game. This unfortunately was due to incentive deals and charitable freebees that were in place in the initial years of Bob Young's ownership. Thereafter ticket prices went up, freebees stopped and by 2009 the Cats had suffered 4 consecutive losing seasons.

Hamilton's downtown population is hard pressed to be able to afford season tickets and Hamilton's more affluent suburban population generally has a flavour for the big American leagues showing nearby in Buffalo and Toronto.

The only way the Tiger-Cats are going to be a team who's tickets are coveted is if the perception changes. This would come most easily with the Alouette / TFC model of playing out of an intimate but expandable venue where they can boast about years of consecutive sell outs while their season ticket waiting list and ticket value grows. At this point, the stadium could be expanded until we're seeing 30,000 seat sell outs and 25,000 season ticket subscribers like we see in Saskatchewan, Calgary and BC.

It was like that in Vancouver only 6 or 7 seasons back. Scalpers had fist-fulls of comp tickets for $5.00, so there was little need to buy a full price ticket. Season tickets sales had dwindled to below 6,000 before Bobby Ackles took over in 2003. But the LIons re-instituted home blackouts, eliminated freebies, got the media onboard and concentrated on community development. Within 4 seasons the Lions were a hot ticket again with over 23,000 season ticket holders. They averaged over 34,000 fans in 2008. Hiring Wally Buono and having a winning team helped of course, but it started with a good business plan and good management. :thup:

Interesting take, Joe and Xvys. Thanks for that. I'd imagine that the economy is not helping at all either. What kind of deal is in place for concessions when the Ticats play; i.e. who gets the profits from that? If it's not the Ticats, that would be another explanation for the difference between Sask and Hamilton.

Anyways, I sure hope that Bob and the city kiss and make up and get things going in the direction you note.

Know that the Canucks are out( dam it anyway) the lions will be getting a lot more headlines training camp and up to training will be all lions, i can not imagine were the lions would be in our local paper if the canucks were to get to the stanley cup finals. and what season tickets would have been. i love both teams. GO Lions Go , Go canucks Go next year.

The Riders get NHL like revenue from merchandise sales while the Ticats do not. That is but one of several differences between the two markets

The big problem with IWS is being so old, the thing is a money pit. The ammount spent each year on maintenance is unreal, there aren't enough concessions to generate revenue, and accessing the stadium is a nightmare for out of towners. The organization looses alot of potential revenues, because of location.

Tie that in with Hamilton being one of the hardest hit communities in the 2008-9 recession, egregious mismanagment before the Bob Young Era began, and 6 years of some of the worst pro-foot ball I've ever witnessed, and you get a sense of why the team is bleeding money.

stamps are closing in on 24,000. not too bad, nut not as good as hoped. still good considering its such a hockey town, and most people i know watch NFL INSTEAD of CFL. i like to watch both. besides the point. at 24,000 hopefully they can get 10,000 walk ups a game.

bombers past 19,000 last week roughly.

20,000 ++ by the time its all over.

Solid numbers all around so far. Montreal along will boost the overall attendance league wide since they were holding it back with their 20k stadium. League wide attendance is pretty much guaranteed to be up from them alone. Add in a competitive Hamilton team and you'll see some big gains hopefully this year. I'm most worried about the Argo's.

got to be honest... i have hated the argos since 1991, when the stamps lost to them(and the rocket got a return off an missed blocking from behind call). but this year... with barker behind the helm, signing the Canadian QB, new owner, i am almost thinkin they might be my eastern team this year. got a nice buzz behind them this year.

Article on the homepage says the Eskimos have sold 25,000 so far.