2009 Canadian Draft and Team Needs

There are 3 teams that might want to move up in the draft.The Riders have only two picks( #14 and #22). The Esks have four picks ( #12, #20, #36, and #44). The Bombers have five late picks (#19, #27, #35, #38, and #45). Admittedly this year's draft appears a little thin on talent but maybe that adds pressure to these three teams to improve their draft position. Picks may be traded for futures or players from the Riders-Esks-Bombers.
The teams that may be sellers in this market are already deep in Canadian talent( BC, Cal., and the Als ). The TiCats and the blue team should probably hang on to their early picks but may be willing to move some of their picks after the second round. No doubt the wheels are already turning in the bunkers ( homage to Ken Peters) of the eight CFL cities. Being a TiCat fan, here are my picks for the first three rounds :

#1 Simeon Rottier OL 6'6" 286 Alberta

#3 Zac Carlson OL 6'4" 300 Weber State

#9 Eric Lee RB  5'11" 230  Weber State

#17 Vaughn Martin DL 6'4" 317  Western

I'll be curious to see what other Cat fans think of my picks . Do a little digging and come up with your own picks before the May 2 CFL Draft.

Pat Lynch (the old guy in section 7) :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Sorry but the Canadian draft is useless these days. I would like to see the Canadian content thing killed or reduced so we start seeing better quality football players.

Here is last years list, very thin on talent and I'm not sure anyone on the list made any type of impression:

The No-Name 08 draft;

First Round

1. Hamilton, Dylan Barker, S, Saskatchewan;
  2. Calgary (via Edmonton), Dimitri Tsoumpas, OG, Weber State;
  3. Calgary, Jesse Newman, OT, Louisiana-Lafayette;
  4. Saskatchewan (via Toronto), Keith Shologan, DL, Central Florida;
  5. B.C., Justin Sorensen, OT, South Carolina;
  6. Winnipeg, Brendon LaBatte, OL, Regina;
  7. Montreal (via Saskatchewan), Shea Emry, LB, UBC;
  8. Hamilton (via Montreal forfeit), Sam Giguere, WR, Sherbrooke.
    Second Round
  9. B.C. (via Hamilton), Rolly Lumbala, RB, Idaho ;
  10. Saskatchewan (via Edmonton via Toronto via Edmonton), Jonathan St-Pierre, OL, Illinois State;
  11. Edmonton (via Calgary), Greg Wojt, OL, Central Michigan;
  12. Montreal, Andrew Woodruff, OL, Boise State;
  13. Toronto, Mike Bradwell, WR, McMaster;
  14. Saskatchewan (via B.C.), Michael Stadnyk, DL, Montana;
  15. Winnipeg, Aaron Hargreaves, WR, Simon Fraser;
  16. Calgary, (via Edmonton via Saskatchewan), Fernand Kashama, DL, Western Michigan..
    Third Round
  17. Hamilton, Michael Giffin, RB, Queen's;
  18. B.C. (via Edmonton), Justin Shaw, DL, Manitoba;
  19. Edmonton (via Calgary), Tim St-Pierre, LB, Saint Mary's;
  20. B.C. (via Saskatchewan via Montreal), Jason Arakgi, LB, McMaster;
  21. Toronto, Jean-Nicolas Carriere, LB, McGill;
  22. B.C., Mike McEachern, LB, Western Illinois;
  23. Edmonton (via B.C. via Winnipeg), Justin Cooper, DL, Manitoba;
  24. Winnipeg (via Edmonton, via Saskatchewan), Darryl Stephenson, RB, Windsor.
    Fourth Round
  25. Edmonton (via Hamilton), Sammy Okpro, DB, Concordia;
  26. Edmonton, Jonathan Hood, DB, St. Francis Xavier;
  27. Calgary, Ronald Hilaire, DL, Buffalo;
  28. Montreal, Terence Firr, WR, Manitoba;
  29. Toronto, Delroy Clarke, DB, Ottawa;
  30. Saskatchewan (via B.C.)Jean-Francois Morin-Roberge, OL, Montreal

This is the CANADIAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE we’re talking about here! If you want more American players, might I suggest you try the NFL for your viewing pleasure. Most CANADIAN FOOTBALL FANS want to see their local kids play the game they love. The import/ Canadian ratio is just fine the way it is right now,thanks. I will stop now because I can feel my blood pressure rising.

Pat Lynch (the old guy in section 7) :smiley:

How imaginative can you get Mikem. You had the same post on Oct.23/08. Welcome to the New Year! I guess change isn't always inevitable.

Pat Lynch(the old guy in section 7)

If we come out of the draft with a starting OL (Rottier) and a starting DL (someone we aquire for trading the #3 overall pick) I will be happy.

First Round

1. Hamilton, Dylan Barker, S, Saskatchewan; - INJURED ALL YEAR
  2. Calgary (via Edmonton), Dimitri Tsoumpas, OG, Weber State; - STARTING GUARD
  3. Calgary, Jesse Newman, OT, Louisiana-Lafayette; - STARTING TACKLE
  4. Saskatchewan (via Toronto), Keith Shologan, DL, Central Florida; - MID SEASON FROM NFL
  5. B.C., Justin Sorensen, OT, South Carolina;
  6. Winnipeg, Brendon LaBatte, OL, Regina; - STARTING GUARD
  7. Montreal (via Saskatchewan), Shea Emry, LB, UBC;
  8. Hamilton (via Montreal forfeit), Sam Giguere, WR, Sherbrooke. - NFL
    Second Round
  9. B.C. (via Hamilton), Rolly Lumbala, RB, Idaho ;
  10. Saskatchewan (via Edmonton via Toronto via Edmonton), Jonathan St-Pierre, OL, Illinois State;
  11. Edmonton (via Calgary), Greg Wojt, OL, Central Michigan;
  12. Montreal, Andrew Woodruff, OL, Boise State;
  13. Toronto, Mike Bradwell, WR, McMaster;
  14. Saskatchewan (via B.C.), Michael Stadnyk, DL, Montana;
  15. Winnipeg, Aaron Hargreaves, WR, Simon Fraser;
  16. Calgary, (via Edmonton via Saskatchewan), Fernand Kashama, DL, Western Michigan..
    Third Round
  17. Hamilton, Michael Giffin, RB, Queen's;
  18. B.C. (via Edmonton), Justin Shaw, DL, Manitoba;
  19. Edmonton (via Calgary), Tim St-Pierre, LB, Saint Mary's; - ST LEADER
  20. B.C. (via Saskatchewan via Montreal), Jason Arakgi, LB, McMaster; - ST LEADER
  21. Toronto, Jean-Nicolas Carriere, LB, McGill;
  22. B.C., Mike McEachern, LB, Western Illinois;
  23. Edmonton (via B.C. via Winnipeg), Justin Cooper, DL, Manitoba; - ST LEADER
  24. Winnipeg (via Edmonton, via Saskatchewan), Darryl Stephenson, RB, Windsor.
    Fourth Round
  25. Edmonton (via Hamilton), Sammy Okpro, DB, Concordia;
  26. Edmonton, Jonathan Hood, DB, St. Francis Xavier;
  27. Calgary, Ronald Hilaire, DL, Buffalo;
  28. Montreal, Terence Firr, WR, Manitoba;
  29. Toronto, Delroy Clarke, DB, Ottawa;
  30. Saskatchewan (via B.C.)Jean-Francois Morin-Roberge, OL, Montreal

names in bold had a year remaining of college in the US. Many of them will be at camps this year.

If you dont think any of those guys made an impression then you must not be watching the CFL. Get your head out of your butt, mikem, and maybe you will have some clue about what is going on in the league and be able to make some educated posts. Hamilton needs for Canadians are DL, FB, OL and WR in that order. LB is good enough for Canucks with Mariuz and Auggie, DBs in abundance (hence Kordic released).

Mikem - Dimitri Tsoumpas, and Jesse Newman, if I am not mistaken, are starting guard/tackle on the O-Line for the Grey Cup Champion Calgary Stampeders.

Yes last year was a very good year for the Canadian draft. Sometimes I think people make statements just to stir things up. Either that or they know very little about football. Take your pick.

3 started all 18 games

Labatte,Tsoupass and Newman

Shea Emry and Paul Woldu were two of the best ST players in the league

Many haven't even arrived yet Wojt,Hilaire,Barker,Woodruff,Giguere, Kashama

and the jury is till out on about a dozen that are still in the league. (Stephenson, Giffen, Lumbala, Heargrave, Bradwell, Shologan)

So potentialy 10 to 15 guys will have a carreer that is 10 to 15 more then undrafted Canadians, that is HOW IMPORTANt this draft is. The only other option is trades and free agency.... a much more expensive option.

Like your ideas for picks. However Vaughn Martin isn't up for this year's CFL draft but has declared for the NFL draft. This has been a point of question that articles referring to Martin have placed him as up for the 2011 CFL draft but I believe it should be the 2010 if all the details are right. Either way he can't be the Ti-Cat pick at #17.

mikem wrote:

Sorry but the Canadian draft is useless these days. I would like to see the Canadian content thing killed or reduced so we start seeing better quality football players.
Maybe the CFL is actually ahead of the curve with its Canadian player quota system. This article in today's Globe and Mail reports that FIFA plans to introduce a "6 plus 5" national player quota system requiring at least 6 of the 11 starting players on any FIFA-approved professional club to be eligible to play for the national team of the country in which the club is located and allowing a maximum of 5 foreign starters per club. [url=http://sports.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090226.wsptquota/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home]http://sports.theglobeandmail.com/servl ... occer/home[/url]

Let Canadians competet one on one with Americans - what's wrong with that.
The problem is you guys have absolutely no confidence in Canadians......I do.
I think our guys can compete one on one and they should be given that chance. Handed the starting job because you are Canadian. Its not right and should be changed. Look at the Offensive Line on most teams, this is one position they reserve for Canadians and we just don't produce enough Canadian Offensive Lineman therefore we have an infrerior product. These OLs should be fighting for these positions against Americans.
Reduce the ratio - keep a couple of jobs for Canadians.

Hey Mikem, somebody has “an infrerior product” but it is not the CFL!

Pat Lynch(the old guy in section 7) :smiley:

mikem

The problem is that the United States produces so many football players that if they eliminated the quota, they might be only one or two Canadians on a team (like the NFL).

Look at the Australian Basketball League; they limit the number of imports to two. Do you think there would be any Australians in the ABL if they opened up the league to all. No, if would be filled with Americans.

Even NFL Europe saw the value of having each team contain a few Nationals.

The CFL with out the quota, would be the XFL. There would be no home town hero's like Wesolowski, DiPeitro, Hitchcock, Clermont, and Fantuz. That would suck!

Wesolowski.....OK, you must be older than me :slight_smile:

I agree that without the ratio requirement the CFL would be much like the XFL, or NFLE, or USFL, or WFL before that. It all adds up to Triple-A football, and a farm system for the NFL.

And I do believe that if that happens, the movement toward scrapping our "funny" rules would proceed inexorably. After all, why would players who are all or virtually all Americans, and coached mostly by Americans, are all trained there in US football, and whose ambitions are to get out of Canada and make it to the big-league back home, want to waste time with silly things like 12- man sides, oddly big fields, not enough downs, no-yards calls, and rouges? I won't blame them for thinking that way, but I don't have to share their reasoning.

Also, when a professional football career is removed as a possibility for all but a tiny number of Canadian kids, the same thing is likely to happen at the university level... why keep the funny rules when the grownups are all playing "real" football?

I love Canadian football, its tradition and history. And that includes the likes of Dick Wesolowski, Tommy Grant, Gerry McDougall and many others on the Ticats and other teams. I have no interest at all in minor league American football and won't be following it.

We need a couple more good OL and maybe 1 more good running back and i think we'll be good to contend in the east this season. We should also sign Khalil Carter or Dwaine Carpenter to start over lawrence Gordon and maybe sign another WR.

re mikem-"Reduce the ratio - keep a couple of jobs for Canadians." Ticats had the worste line in the CFL last season .Most of them were from the NCAA while Calgary drafted from the CIS and did much better, WHAT does that prove? CIS is much better than trolls like you propagate!!!

Actually Calgary's two Canadian starting guards drafted last year were out of NCAA schools.

A quick look at the teams present rosters and including Canadian O-linemen drafted last year as futures, show 29 players from NCAA schools and 29 from CIS schools. Three of those players that came out of CIS schools actually started in the NCAA and then transferred to the CIS.
All that proves I guess is that the CFL relies on both NCAA and CIS trained Canadian O-Linemen.

Trolls like me propogate.....wow.!!
Last time I checked it's called having an opinion. I think the Canadian content needs to be reduced. We just don't have enough talent at Canadian universities. I love football and I want to see the best.
Yes if Calgary had a great line great but why can't our guys compete one on one. What are you afraid of.
I really couldn't care less if our best player was Canadian or American.
If this league is to survive we need to improve, what's going to happen when Ottawa comes back in to the league. They have to go to Canadian Universities and make jobs for another 15! It's not fair, make Canadians compete one on one!