2006 schedule - When is it out?

Hello everyone,
I am planning a trip to Vancouver for July. I want to try and catch a Rider BC game if possible and am looking for info on when the schedule is to come out. I seem to recall that it comes out in March or so. Is that the time it normally comes out? Secondly, is their a pattern to the schedule (i.e. Riders usually play Calgary in Calgary in the last two weeks of July)? I know in the end it will be hit or miss, but I am looking to see if someone has a better crystal ball than me. Only about 185 days to go before kickoff.

If memory serves, the 2005 schedule come out March 1st

I can already predict Montreal will play Ottawa twice in the preseason... sight....

Well, maybe one of those games will be in Moncton, I'm sure you like to go back there eh? 3nd?

[i]ro1313 said on Dec 30, 2005[/i] If memory serves, the 2005 schedule come out March 1st
I wonder why the CFL has such a delay in posting the 2006 schedule.

The AFL (Australian Football League) has a policy of getting the following year's schedule out with in 6 weeks of the Grand Final.

To delay posting, if not setting, the schedule for such a length of time gives the impresion that the CFL is amateurish in its outlook -- could this be why the AFL will get a minimum of A$780 million [US$585 million] for the next 5 year tv deal whilst the CFL gets :?:

I guess is because they have other events going on the some of the Stadiums, and remember VD, the CFL isn't as high profiled as the AFL because, unfortunately, Canadians aren't as sport crazy as the Aussies.

I'm not sure that a question of stadium availability is an adequate enough excuse not to get a schedule out much earlier than is the present case--shees even a preliminary schedule would be an improvement. It's not as if those who are responsible for the shedule have to balance team vs team to any great degree, unlike the process requied in the NFL or even the AFL.

And I think you'll find the CFL is as well know in Canada as the AFL is in Oz.

I'm not sure of exact figures, but I believe the Grey Cup has, as a percentage of total poulation, more Canadian's watching their tvs than Aussies watching the Grand Final. The AFL still has to win viewers in Sydney and Brisbane and to a lesser extent the states of NSW & Qld.

.....I'll take "Things you never thought you'd hear on a football forum" for $400, Alex.....

VD (yeah, there it is again, jm02) has a good point ... the CFL could only help its TV deals by releasing the schedule earlier, couldn't they? (Even if they released it only to the TV stations?) On the other hand, maybe its negotiations with these very same TV stations that is delaying the schedule release ...

Just when the CFL is doing well, count on our local Canadian media to screw them over ... dammit.

Van D
No offence but I have heard some pretty lame excuses for knocking the CFL but to call them amateurish because of the length of time it take to release the next years schedule is among the dumbest. March 1st is roughly half way between the end of one season and the beginning of the next. Releasing it any sooner has no benefit, I don't know what AFL fans are like but the CFL will not lose fans or backing because the schedule is not out "fast enough"

Also the fact that the AFL gets X amout of money is relevant how?
Furthermore Stadium availability is relevant. How can you schedule games if you dont know what dates you can play??

I wish the schedule was out sooner myself because it would allow me to plan for everything from hotels to asking time off from work to getting baby sitting lined up. I have a 4 hour drive to the games and would love to be able to plan now not in April. That being said April does give me long enough to plan its just that I am the type of guy who has already reserved his hotel for Grey Cup in Winnipeg next year. Since all CFL teams save Toronto are the principle tenants of their stadiums they should already have their dates set. I think the problem is TV as TSN wants certain games on certain nights and so does the CBC. I dont think it makes the league look amateurish but it could be done better. I still think the CFL rocks

I sorry that I said what I did about Canada and sports, but if you knew how the Aussies are about there sports, well...

I was told by someone in the Argo office that they expect the schedule to be released in January this year. This is due to the fact that the Dump, now owned by Rogers, is more willing to co-operate with the Argos than previous Dump ownership. Traditionally, the hold up on schedule releasing has been the result of a lack of cooperation from that source.

Sooner the better. My friends and I are planning a raodtrip to Ontario this summer to catch a couple of CFL games and a Blue Jays game.

If you beleive in "trends" Saskatchewan has been in BC Place the last week of the schedule a lot the last 6-7 years. Check the archieves of past years
under " The game" on this forum, and you might see that trend I was mentioning.

ro1313 wrote on Dec 30, 2005 Van D No offence but I have heard some pretty lame excuses for knocking the CFL but to call them amateurish because of the length of time it take to release the next years schedule is among the dumbest. March 1st is roughly half way between the end of one season and the beginning of the next. Releasing it any sooner has no benefit, I don't know what AFL fans are like but the CFL will not lose fans or backing because the schedule is not out "fast enough"

Also the fact that the AFL gets X amout of money is relevant how?
Furthermore Stadium availability is relevant. How can you schedule games if you dont know what dates you can play??

ro1313, I didn't say the CFL was amateurish, I said the delay in posting the schedule gives the impresion that the CFL is amateurish in its outlook I even italicised the word 'amateurish' as I felt it was too strong a word but I couldn't find a more approriate term -- I'm sorry that you didn't read my comment as mild criticism not outright slaming.

It's not a matter of loosing fans, but as others have said, giving the TV networks time to set their programming, to sell their advertising etc.

I understand TV networks work to a long lead-time. The networks here in Oz who are bidding for the TV rights for 2007-2011 are already putting out tentative broadcast times – times that will need be kept if they wish to get the advertising revenue to cover that A$780 million fee: That's how the getting of the X dollars is relevant, the networks have a product they can sell to their advertisers, in turn they have more dollars with which to buy those broadcast rights.

As to stadium availability – here in Oz, the AFL is the prime [winter beginning of March to end of September] tenant of all the stadiums in which it regularly plays -- there is only one stadium that I can think of, Stadium Australia (the Olympic stadium) where it can have scheduling issues, but it only plays at that stadium in much the way that Montreal play at the 'Big O'? So as such they have first choice of dates – I'd be surprised if this wasn't the case with the CFL and or it clubs and their stadiums.

Ok then
Change what I said to the impression of amatureishness, amatureism? Amaturities?
Point is that, if you feel it looks that way, maybe you may feel it is that way

the thing I also really hate about the AFL now is that there isn't stadiums for every team like there used to be, teams have to share huge stadiums like the MCG.

nebulous approach to thread

So anyways...the schedule...I have nothing to say about it except I will be watching as many games as possible...on television. From my cozy home in the Bay Area.

Yay.

Go Sharkies.

[url=http://www.900chml.com/news/news_local.cfm?cat=74281199912&rem=27575&red=801119923aPBIny&wids=410&gi=1&gm=news_local.cfm]http://www.900chml.com/news/news_local. ... _local.cfm[/url]

HAMILTON (AM900 CHML) - One of the biggest questions in the CFL off-season is, not which free agent will sign with what team, but when will the schedule be released.

Several sources have told CHML News, that the schedule may be released by the end of this month.

Last year's schedule was released at the end of February.