2004 Attendance Statistics for CFL teams

I thought everyone might be interested in these stats since there is a lot of talk about fans and fan support of their CFL teams. The attendance stats are for the 2004 regular season while the population numbers are based on 2001 Census. Hope everyone enjoys and hope this sparks some good talk.
. . . . . . . . . . . . TOTAL ATTENDANCE for 2004 year
Edmonton . . . . . . . . . . . 351284
Calgary . . . . . . . . . . . . . 273608
Hamilton . . . . . . . . . .. . . 250675
BC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 240277
Toronto . . . . . . . . . . . . 232318
Sask . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 223109
Winnipeg . . . . . . . .. . . 220463
Montreal . . . . . . . . .. . . 214918
Ottawa . . . . . . . . . . .. .207449

. . . . . . . . . .ATTEND. . . . . . . . .POP . . . . . . . RATIO
Hamilton . . . . 250675 . . . . . . . 662401 . . . . . 0.378
Edmonton . . . 351284 . . . . . . . 937845 . . . . . 0.375
Winnipeg . . . . 220463 . . . . . . . 671274 . . . . .0.328
Calgary . . . . . 273608 . . . . . . . 922315 . . . . . 0.297
Ottawa . . . . . 207449 . . . . . . . .774042 . . . . . 0.268
Sask . . . . . . . 223109 . . . . . . . .1000000 . . . . 0.223* based on province
BC . . . . . . . . .240277 . . . . . . . .3907738 . . . . 0.061* based on province
Montreal . . . . .214918 . . . . . . . 3607025 . . . . 0.060
Toronto . . . . . 232318 . . . . . . . 4682827 . . . . .0.050

. . . . . . . . . .ATTEND. . . . . . . .POP. . . . . . . .RATIO
Sask. . . . . . . .223109 . . . . 192800 . . . . . 1.16* based just on city
Hamilton . . . . .250675 . . . . 662401 . . . . . 0.38
Edmonton . . . . 351284. . . . 937845 . . . . . 0.37
Winnipeg . . . . 220463 . . . . 671274 . . . . . 0.33
Calgary . . . . . 273608 . . . . 922315 . . . . . 0.30
Ottawa . . . . . 207449 . . . . 774042 . . . . . 0.27
BC . . . . . . . . .240277 . . . . 1986985 . . . . 0.12* based just on city.
Montreal . . . . 214918 . . . . 3607025 . . . . . 0.06
Toronto . . . . .232318 . . . . 4682827 . . . . . 0.05

With everyone talking about fans, attendance and such, I thought everyone might want to see the statistics. You know what they say though. There are lies, damn lies and statistics. P.s. don't ban me for saying damn

Yes we wanted to see the stats just like the last 4 times someone posted the same stats.

Everytime they are posted they include the percentage of city population even thought that is a waste of time energy and caculator battery power. :expressionless:

ro1313,
aren't you a happy one. Sorry to admit that I am relatively new to the forum and have not seen stats like this posted yet. As far as the waste of time, I think working these stats up have really brought out three points for me.

1. I never quite realized how good Hamilton's attendance figures were.
  2. Torono's attendance figures really aren't that bad when you just look at tickets sold and forget the size of city they come from.
  3. Alberta's attendance figures are impressive.

Aren't we getting tired of this :roll:

1 You joined 2 days after I did
2 size of city means nothing because as in Montreal’s case every game is sold out. Saying that 0.06% of MTL fans went to games means nothing if you cant get a ticket. I say that 100% of the population wants to go but 99.94% are disappointed every game.

Yes my numbers are ridiculous but you get my point

Well maybe they should make a stadium that holds more then 20,000.

It seems to me that if you want to figure out attendance stats, calculate attendance based on stadium capasity. I think that would have a bit more meaning

Thanks Riderfanatic. I for one appreciate your effort. I like to look at the total attendance and forget the city populations however. I do agree with some that seating capacity and ticket pricing is an issue when comparing Montreal attendance.

I don't know the average ticket price in Edmonton, but based on the difference in Eskimo butts in the stands I'd say they have a few extra bucks kicking when around compared to other teams attendance. Yes I know seating capacity in Montreal is smaller, but there can't be that big of an average ticket price difference to make up for the 136,366 extra bodies in Edmonton. And cudos to Stamps fans for still showing up to support a losing team.

.........I've been here since Day One on this site (maybe Day Two, when the mods created the land and the water) and I cannot remember a post that showed TOTAL attendance figures so good on you fanatic.........ro1313, go back to your cave on Mt. Crumpit and resume your frownful observance of Whoville.......poo-pooing the Whos at any opportunity you can.........

.......will I get banned for saying poo-poo?.........

........anyway, Calgary and Edmonton will always have great fans attending games no matter what the product on the field is.......decades (maybe centuries?) from now there will still be a Battle of Alberta........

........Incredible for Hamilton, there's another batch of die-hards who wont' give up..............

.......and stats are there to use or abuse.........

Riderfanatic,

You City of Edmonton stats are wrong buddy.

Actualy pop of the City is 707,271 not 937845 .

Although these stats are completly useless, you should at least report them correctly.

When you say *city size only, use the correct figures.

Oh but like all the other times these stats have been posted, the idea isn't to show the real stats, it's to show how the Riders fans attend more then any other city.

Attendance           City population         Ratio 
 Edmonton                   351284              700000                 50.1% 

Also, you're using projected population values for 2004 for the Edmonton and Area and using 2003 numbers for Regina.

I know what you're trying to accomplish with your fudged stats. Give it up.

Bottom line is, Rider fans are no better than any other fans in the league, period. Actually, if you look at the attendance figures alone, they're pretty crappy fans.

IMO if you consider Saskatoon fans making the commute, which I know many do, then it would seem that Winnipeg fans show better support for their team.

How many people bought tickets and went to the park.....period. Forget city sizes. The total attendance stats are real and something you can calculate team gate revenue on. It's not about who has better fans. Geez I wish people would drop that already.

Hey, My uncle in Kamloops doesn't have a car so he has to ride his bike 350 kilometers through the mountainous terraine to reach BC Place for each game. Takes a few days and the ride back is even more of a killer. Does this mean BC has the best fans? No it means one more butt in the stands and how it got there or where it came from doesn't matter. What matters is total attendance translated into revenue.

Edm. 351,284 vs. Ottawa 207,449 = 143,835 more seats sold in Edmonton at an average of $25 ( approx.) per ticket means Edmonton generated $3,595,875 (not including concessions, parking etc.) MORE than Ottawa. I'm not sure what the average ticket prices are in Edm. vs Ottawa, but the formula is simple and the results in franchise stability are reflected.

And no I don't really have an uncle in Kamloops, but you get my point.

I agree cflfanforlife...fans are fans are fans....just some a little more FANatical.....does it translate into attendance I doubt it...there are some pretty good supporters who don't go to the games very often (though a good effort should be made to).. lots of reasons why they don't and the main one is probably money.....doesn't make them any less a fan because they can't make it to the park. Every province has its fan base largely in big metropolitan areas...and draws lesser from outside...what I think is probably most important to attendance is the product on the field....that's why you have to give credit to fans who continually support their team even when it looks like they might not be the "big' winner that year. Recent times you have to give it to Cal. fans ...so if these figures are meant to be the sum of fan support than I think it's missing alot of intangibles. Just my thought. :!:

Your right papazoola, there are many intangibles to consider if we're going to talk about comparing fan support. The total attendance figures Riderfanatic provided does let us figure out the approximate gate receipts for each team. What we don't really know, however, is the break even point for each team.

It looks like Ottawa had an average attendance of 23,000 over nine games. (Don't know if the 207,449 includes a pre-season game.) In any case, it's still respectable attendance and something to build on considering the turmoil there. I wish the Rens a great season and will be pulling for them to turn things around. Ottawa has a great CFL heritage and the fans deserve their team. With a few more wins and stable management they will be a solid franchise. I think the Renegades will show that much more character and play hard through all the uncertainty. I heard Cinderella is a Renegade fan. :wink:

To all detractors of this thread,
I am getting sick and tired of this 'rider fans think they are so great'attitude. It was my honest attempt to try and objectively show the stats. The fact that I am a rider fan is irrelevant to this post. Next, if you feel this topic has been beat up so much, not much I can do about that as this is my first go-round on this topic,

As far as 'fudging'the stats, I got my numbers from what I thought to be the 2001 census so I thought they were correct. As far as I knew, Edmonton was still bigger than Calgary in 2001, but I guess not.

II liked the idea of comparing stats to stadium size but at this point that would probably be redundant. Iliked cfl fanforlife's point about taking stats and semi calculating extra revenue that some teams enjoy.

ro1313,
yes i joined two days after you, but i don't remember seeing a thread with stats, maybe because I was not a regular for a while. i assumed you were speaking of stuff you have seen over past year or two. I have been on this forum since about September of last year, but only recently have I started to check this site out on a daily basis.

Geeze Riderfanatic
Dont take it so personally. All I meant was that it has already been posted a few times, and like EE says it seems like every time it was by a rider fan who wants to show they are the best at something. The last time it was season ticket sales based on population (page 3 season tickets stats). When I saw your name I thought "here we go again",

Szarkatrain
We do have a stadium that holds more than 20,000 it holds 20,004 :lol:

RedandWhite
Sorry, I didnt realise that I had to agree with every post. If that is the case then let me respond to yours.
WELL DONE.
Excelent post.
It was truly riveting.
I could not put it down
Its a must read.

Is that what you want to hear?

ro1313,
Sorry for sounding off. It just seems every time a rider fan speaks, it seems we get labeled with a one color brush, which is unfortunate cause sometimes we can step back and focus less on our team and more on the league.

p.s. It appears your stadium’s capacity is 20,202 not 20,004.

No problem Riderfanatic
Its just that having to hear that the Rider's have the best team, best field, best fans, best seats, best grounds keepers, best water fountains, and the softest toilet paper, it starts to get old

.......ro1313, don't agree with every post, thats the beauty of a debate forum such as this.........but ya don't have to crap all over a guys hard work either.......

stats.are so misleading sometimes and what you get out of all that hard work is just a bunch of empty numbers....meaningless unless you are using them to start debate and prove a point....in which case the numbers better be accurate to the extreme.... failing that the information is quite pointless.....good data recording though; appreciate the overview; I think what needs to happen is the initial 05 kickoff, so we have can have some real debate about the game itself....... :!: