20 second play clock

I wonder if the refs know that the play clock has to read :00 for a complete second before blowing the whistle... :roll:
Maybe they should have the clock read tenths of a second

Actually, I don't mind them letting the play go off. I don't need to see another flag.

I don't mind that either...it's when they blow the whistle instantly when the clock reaches :00

What? Even if it was in 10ths of a second once it hits zero it's over. 0.9, 0.8, 0.7... 0.

They don't know that because it's not true. Zero is zero...whistle goes. Back judge is responsible for watching the 20 clock...when it hits zero if the ball is on the ground, whistle goes.

but there is no tenths of a second on the play clock, so the refs see :00, blow the whistle instead of waiting the extra 9/10ths of that last second

Just because the clock doesn't display 10ths of a second doesn't mean that they don't happen. They still happen between 01 seconds and 00 seconds, they just aren't shown. Once the clock hits 00 it's over.

no…there is a full second after the clock reads :00. Let’s count down together…starting at 2 seconds

:02.0seconds
:01.9 :01.8 :01.7 :01.6 :01.5 :01.4 :01.3 :01.2 :01.1
:01.0second
:00. this is the time where the refs blow their whistle
but there is still a full second to go
:00.9 :00.8 :00.7 :00.6 :00.5 :00.4 :00.3 :00.2 :00.1 :00.0 this is the time that the refs need to blow the whistle

I hope that this helps my explanation

You’re wrong.

All those times still happen before 00.0 they just aren’t displayed .00.0 = .00

Im all for reducing penaties as much as possible.. Like when on punt coverage, if the guy is backpedallibg and 4 yards back..Let it go!

Technically he's correct. That's why the NHL and NBA show tenth of seconds on their game clocks. When the 20 second clock is started it immediately will drop to 19 seconds, not after a second has passed. The time from X.9 seconds to X.0 seconds on a clock that doesn't display tenths happen when the clock shows X (eg. 8.9 seconds to 8.0 seconds happen when 8 shows on the clock and .09 seconds to 0.0 seconds happen when 0 shows on the clock).

That said, and while it is correct, I think it's nitpicking to lobby for tenth of seconds on the 20 second clock and I see no reason to change they way the time is counted and applied currently.

So you're in favour of reducing penalties by ignoring penalties?

No, he's not correct - - and you're just as wrong and confused as he is.

When there's 9/10ths of a second remaining, the clock still shows ONE (1) full second remaining.
When there's 8/10ths of a second remaining, the clock still shows ONE (1) full second remaining.
When there's 7/10ths of a second remaining, the clock still shows ONE (1) full second remaining.
When there's 6/10ths of a second remaining, the clock still shows ONE (1) full second remaining.
When there's 5/10ths of a second remaining, the clock still shows ONE (1) full second remaining.
When there's 4/10ths of a second remaining, the clock still shows ONE (1) full second remaining.
When there's 3/10ths of a second remaining, the clock still shows ONE (1) full second remaining.
When there's 2/10ths of a second remaining, the clock still shows ONE (1) full second remaining.
When there's 2/10ths of a second remaining, the clock still shows ONE (1) full second remaining.

When there's no fraction of a second remaining, that's when the clock shows ZERO.

And you know this because you designed and built the stadium clocks in all 9 CFL stadiums and you built them to work differently than every other clock in every other stadium for every other sport in the world.

As usual you just pull st out of your a and pretend it's fact. Don't let real facts get in the way a good rant though A51 :roll:

While on the subject of facts may I remind you of a forum guideline;

3. No bashing - If someone is posting in a thread, don't simply tell them they're wrong. Instead, provide facts or opinions supporting your views, provide positive feedback, and please keep the criticism low.

Mods.

Has nothing to do with designing clocks or building clocks - - I learned how to tell time in primary school. When the clock shows ZERO that means there's no further time remaining. Not sure what further "facts" you require.

Show me a clock that works the way you say it does. For starters, when NHL and NBA clocks count down the last few tenths of seconds what is the number in the second space? Why it's 0 that's what it is and that 0 is displayed for a full second before the horn sounds. And on all clocks when does the clock change from the set time to the next second down? Why the very moment you start the clock running.

There, I have provided facts, twice, to support my claim. You have provided none and simply bashed me for disagreeing with your opinion which violates the following board guideline;

3. No bashing - If someone is posting in a thread, don't simply tell them they're wrong. Instead, provide facts or opinions supporting your views, provide positive feedback, and please keep the criticism low. .

Mods, for your action.

Since I'm here to educate and enlighten, I'll take the time to explain how stadium clocks function. Let's use the NBA as an example.

The NBA has a game clock that shows tenths of a second once the time remaining is under one minute - - so it will show 59.9 seconds remaining at that point. When there's less than ONE (1) second remaining, let's say a half second, the game clock will show as 0.5 seconds remaining. As with all clocks, time's up when the game clock hits ZERO.

The NBA also has a 24 second shot clock. But it's a bit different from the game clock in that it does NOT show tenths of a second. When the shot clock re-sets, the software program that it runs on actually starts at 24.9 seconds internally despite the fact that the shot clock will show 24 seconds.

You're likely scratching your head wondering why that is. The reason is because the shot clock does NOT show tenths of a second. So when the shot clock turns from ONE (1) second remaining to ZERO - - you guessed it - - time's up. Teams still get the full 24 seconds, because the internal software runs from 24.9 seconds to 0.9 seconds.

This is exactly the same procedure for the NFL's play clock as well as the CFL's play clock.

Perhaps a picture will aid your understanding.

Pay close attention to the two different clocks. The game clock displays the time in tenths of a second and reads 29.3 seconds remaining. The shot clock does NOT display the time in tenths of a second and reads 5 seconds remaining.

I’m sure you’re not the only one confused by this. Which is why the NBA turns the shot clock off and does not re-set it when the time remaining in the quarter is 24.0 seconds or less. You may have heard an NBA announcer state “shot clock is turned off” and been wondering what it meant.

Area-51 is right: the CFL play clock doesn’t show tenths of a second. Therefore, when time is whistled in, the clock will show 20 for the first second, and will tick to 19 when the clock reaches 19.0 seconds. It will tick to 18 when it reaches 18.0, 17 when it reaches 17.0, … and 0 when it reaches 0.0.

If the officials had to wait one second after the clock reached 0, then why have a clock at all. Just have the official stand there thinking “19 steamboat 18 steamboat 17 steamboat…”

AS A MOD: my ruling is that he has provided as much evidence as you have. You simply disagree on the facts.

AS A POSTER: he’s right.

(Ugh! I think I need a shower!)

Thank you, you explained it better than I did.