17 yard endzones at BMO

The bigger end zone is one of the things that makes the game different from the NFL. 10 Yards is too small. Unfortunate that BMO can’t accommodate anything bigger than 17 but the rest of the league should stay at 20.

please, no 15 yard endzone. damn shame it is not still 25.

players learning to play with 20 yard endzone, as per the way they run their routes, etc, may find it difficult to deal with 17 yds at one stadium. For that reason I think it would make sense to make all fields 17 yards, but I don't like it.

As a side note, the one thing I do like about this design is having retractable endzone seats for soccer. I wish Tim Horton’s Field had this feature on the South side stands and a means of moving the North Side patio onto the Endzone for soccer.

That said, I’d like an actual soccer team in Hamilton before that feature got added.

Myself as well. Tighten it up…

Just because Totonto is a useless franchise, no fans and now the whole league should change their endzones because the Argo's don't have a real football stadium to play in ??? Worry about getting 10 k in real season ticket holders first !

So we can be more like american football?

No thanks.

17 yards should not be acceptable, but there may be no other choice. The rule book states that the deadline (end of the endzone) can be as close as 1 yard from an obstruction. what it will come down to is negotiations between the league and CFLPA.

There appears to be room to get in the 20 yard end zone but it will be up to the players what distance they need for the warning track. I would rather a 17 yard end zone than the full 20 and seeing players hurt because it is too close to the stands. Playersafety has to be the determining factor.

It's dumb, but no more so than tapering off the corners of the end zone when there is a track around it.

Talk about an easy problem to solve.

A regulation CFL field is 150 yds - 110 yds plus two 20 yd end zones.
BMO field is 144 yards (six yards short of regulation).

Mark the field so every yard is actually 34.66 inches (as opposed to 36 inches). The end zones will be the right proportion to the rest of the field and no one will notice the five yard marker lines are actually 6+ inches short of five yards.

Duh...

It would be fun if they did that and waited to see how long it took people to notice. :lol:

I don’t really mind the shorter endzones in one stadiums, given the situation. It’s not like the CFL has ever shied away from being quirky in the past.

It's a non issue. Some of the haters in the T.O media will try to make a big deal out of it, ignoring the fact the NHL plays on all different ice surfaces

Hey, my wife watched both the CFL and NFL games for a few years and while she didn’t really watch with a critical eye (NFL only on the tube), it was only when I pointed out the field was larger in the CFL that she realized the fields were of different dimensions.

In Canada there should be no reason not to get the full 20 yard zones in.
I believe Montreal is the only field in the CFL that has the corners cut short. Not sure when Edmonton rectified their endzone corners, but Montreal should follow suit. I don't imagine it would be too difficult to add 5sq yards to each corner.

For BMO, put the 20yards in. Should be at least 4 yard run off. Put extra thick padding along the endzone wall. The league has no issues having signage and mobile camera units 5 yards or less off the sidelines.

Try it. With the amount of plays per game that happen at the extreme back of the endzone, only happening a few times a game, try it.

If there is an issue early in the season, adjust it then.

Can't be done. Site footprint and the need to be able to roll end zone seats in for soccer and out for football.

All NHL ice surfaces are the same size . The Aud and Boston Gardens are long gone !

Easy fix. Make the game truly Canadian.

100 metre playing field with 10 meter end zones everywhere.

3 downs to make 10 metres.

make that 15 metre endzones.

I like the idea of making the field metric personally!!!

That would work as well although making it 10 would allow for a few more end zone seats / hot tubs/ etc.

The bad side of shortening the end zone is that you start reducing the chance of a run back out of the end zone after a missed kick.

I would rather just stick with the longest field we can in yards.

can you imagine if they shaved a few inches of each yard how much rod black and others would go on about it every game

each yard is really less than a yard folks

now remember, each yard is really not a yard.

except in the endzone, those are yards, or are they

we should probably just call them lines or clicks.

etc etc, yada yada yada.